The Student Room Group

My friend has dibs on a guy I like!

My best friend told be she really fancied this guy in our year. I've since been put beside him in one class, and I'm in a class with him without her. We always spend ages chatting and having fun, but I feel like I'm going to rob him from her. I'm really starting to like him, and almost feel like I deserve him more - she's only spoken to him a few times, and I spent 2 hours talking to him every day.

Please help! I'm not sure what to do... :frown:
Reply 1
No such thing as "dibs" on boys. All is fair in love and war, let the best woman win etc etc.

If you pull him, buy her a drink. If she gets all pissy about a little thing like this then she wasn't a friend worth keeping anyway.
she has dibs????

Really?
Girl rule 1.

If you want to go out with a guy your friend has ever been interested in or involved with in anyway you ask her first, or at least inform her of what you are going to do.
Reply 4
Original post by Historophilia
Girl rule 1.

If you want to go out with a guy your friend has ever been interested in or involved with in anyway you ask her first, or at least inform her of what you are going to do.

lol. "girl rule 1"?

You're gonna come out with "bros before hos" next.
Reply 5
rule number 2. if it is not discussed prior you most go to a pool and have an all out cat fight. in your bra.

Ahh we are all good at explaining the female codes of honour right? ;o
Original post by py0alb
lol. "girl rule 1"?

You're gonna come out with "bros before hos" next.

Hoes before bros in girl world dude.
Reply 7
Original post by Historophilia
Hoes before bros in girl world dude.

You're mistaken, girls say chicks before dicks...
Dibs ? You cant Dibs on a guy. Like wise you cant on a girl either, alls fair in love and war. If the guy likes you and you like him then you do the math. Just tell her you like him as well.
Reply 9
Theres no such thing as dibs on a guy, he's not a spade in the playground sandbox.. If you like him and he likes you, then your friend can go suck a lemon.. :smile:
If this would make you feel bad then just say that you like him and he's interested in you and if she doesn't like it.. well.. thats to bad. She can't make him like her :wink:
Original post by silverbolt
she has dibs????

Really?

that was exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
My best friend told be she really fancied this guy in our year. I've since been put beside him in one class, and I'm in a class with him without her. We always spend ages chatting and having fun, but I feel like I'm going to rob him from her. I'm really starting to like him, and almost feel like I deserve him more - she's only spoken to him a few times, and I spent 2 hours talking to him every day.

Please help! I'm not sure what to do... :frown:

No such thing as deserve or dibs or whatever. It just comes down to whether he likes you or her more. Find out if he likes you too, if so go for it.

If she has a problem with the outcome then 1. she's being rather silly and a bit of a rubbish friend and 2. she hasn't really worked out the whole "mutual consent" aspect yet.

It's not like they're in or ever have been in a relationship, if he's single and likes you he's fair game.
If you thought he was a bit of alright too, why didn't you just say so when she told you about her crush? Then you could've both marinaded in your mutual lust for him. Or do you like him because she likes him?

I dunno, I don't like to fly in the face of public opinion but there are pa-lenty of guys to choose from, and you know it's gonna create awkwardness with your friend - not because she's silly/immature/'not a friend worth having' but just because she's human! And no one would like to be in that position!

I think the crucial point is how much she cares. If it's just that she thinks he's a bit fit like she thinks others are a bit fit and it's not a big deal then whatever, but if she's developing a real, formidable THING for this guy, then - don't be surprised if she can't be your friend anymore if you do anything with him. It would be a bit disloyal on your part and only you can decide if it's worth it.
You're leaving the actual world and now entering girl world. Don't do it. Well, if you want to possibly loose a friend but gain a boyfriend sure. But I mean guys are only temporary jar? You could go to your friend and ask permission... But I've seen this happen too many times, she will say, sure go for him, but in her head she will be like- oh no she didn't, especially if she called dibs. (I feel like Im in mean girls- lmao)
In all honesty, (real world) do what you want, you only live once, and I'm sure your friend will be happy that you got this guy...
Original post by Foo.mp3
Girls :rolleyes: Out of respect give her a week to have a crack, "after that, he's fair game". Problem solved.

Is this cat fo real!? :s-smilie:

Don't pick and choose sections, I was joking in that section- gawd.
Hence the ( I feel like im in mean girls) then the- In all honesty.
And Cat? say what?!
Original post by Foo.mp3
Well thank **** for that! The notion that a person can have another 'on hold'/'in reserve' is something that baffles me :tongue:

well, in girl world.... :P

Original post by Foo.mp3
:emog:

Awwh, Cat. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest