The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by franzk
Hi would students studying Economics and Business studies be disadvantaged when applying? also would taking 3 years to do a levels disadvantage you heavily?

Hi, no, I don't think it would be a disadvantage to be studying economics and business, but, of course, how your subjects are viewed is dependent on the other subjects you are studying and your personal interests as discussed in your personal statement.

I don't think taking 3 years to study A-Levels would disadvantage you heavily, but you may wish to explain and give context to the specific circumstances which resulted in you taking this "unusual" route
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 361
Original post by Patriot Rich
Hi there,

I'm currently doing Maths (stats), History, Economics and Geography (which I'll drop at the end of the year), at AS.
From what I've read in a lot of prospectuses it seems that the more maths you have the better. So do you think picking up a further maths AS in year 2 would be a good move? I'd also be doing an extended project and I might as well ask if Warwick is interest in that while I'm at it.

Thank you in advance

Hi,
it's a mis-perception to think that more maths is simply better somehow. Our course is mathematical, but the standard A-Level maths course will prepare you for what is needed in the first year of study.

To that end, as discussed in the first couple of posts in the thread, we would encourage you to take subjects that you are interested and will perform well in, rather than trying to choose subjects to fit an application profile you believe we would wish to see.

We are interested in the extended projects, and the topics you are studying, but would not include it or use it as part of an offer.
Reply 362
Original post by down_under
Is there a contact name and phone number for ug admissions specific to the economics department? Thank you.

Hi,
no, for applicant enquiries, using the email address [email protected] or phoning 024 765 23723 is the best way to have your query answered.
Reply 363
Original post by roseroserose.
Hi,
Is there a difference at the moment with percentages of people that have been offered/rejected for economics compared to economics & various supplements?

Yes, but due to randomness in the differences in applications rather than any specific edict to do so.

As I said earlier, we do not have separate offer targets for the different courses hosted by the economics department.
Original post by University of Warwick
Yes, but due to randomness in the differences in applications rather than any specific edict to do so.

As I said earlier, we do not have separate offer targets for the different courses hosted by the economics department.

Haha well I 'randomly' got my offer just now, thanks very much!!
Reply 365
Hi,

My friend has received an offer as well but he's currently worried he might not make the A*, though this is in his prediction. Currently he's doing 4 A-Levels and is looking at pushing 3 of them to the high 80s but he keeps saying that a bad paper in the last economics module and he won't get his A*.

What is the policy in the department if people do not quite make the offer? If he were to say get very good scores but not hit the top boundary?

Also, would it be possible to disclose how many places there are on the L100 course and how many applicants there were?

Regards,
Reply 366
Original post by ILM16
Hi,

My friend has received an offer as well but he's currently worried he might not make the A*, though this is in his prediction. Currently he's doing 4 A-Levels and is looking at pushing 3 of them to the high 80s but he keeps saying that a bad paper in the last economics module and he won't get his A*.

What is the policy in the department if people do not quite make the offer? If he were to say get very good scores but not hit the top boundary?

Also, would it be possible to disclose how many places there are on the L100 course and how many applicants there were?

Regards,

Hi,
I've just answered a similar question to the first part in another thread, so I hope you don't mind me copying it directly!

Firstly, it goes without saying that the closer you are to your offer, the better the chance you have of getting in.

However, some schools typically give the impression that, if you only miss by a small amount, then you are pretty much guaranteed to be admitted on results day. This is a misleading impression, because the funding restrictions placed on universities by central government mean that we have strict limits on the number of places we can actually give out.

That is to say, if we are at, or over, our "control number" for Home/EU students for a specific course, just as a result of people who made the offer, then we are not permitted to give out any more offers, even to people who just only just missed the offer.

I had several cases last year where people phoned me up on results day saying that their school had "promised" we'd be able to give them a place, and so they hadn't chosen an Insurance offer. As it turned out, we exactly hit our target in terms of the number of people who made the offer, so we weren't permitted to give out any discretionary places, even to very talented students.

This shouldn't deter you from "firming" Warwick, as it is often the case we do have places to give out on results day (such as the economics department had 2 years ago), and other universities face exactly the same constraints, but that you should make sure you also take an Insurance option which you are happy with in the event that you don't get your grades, and we are unable to offer you a place.

In terms of application stats, some from last year are currently available here - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/prospective/notes_on_applications_for_2012-13_entry.pdf - but we cannot yet release stats from this year as the cycle is not completed.
Reply 367
Hi,
I've just answered a similar question to the first part in another thread, so I hope you don't mind me copying it directly!

In terms of application stats, some from last year are currently available here - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/prospective/notes_on_applications_for_2012-13_entry.pdf - but we cannot yet release stats from this year as the cycle is not completed.

Thank you for the response, I shall pass on the message.

Regarding the stats from last year, are there any more course specific details available?

Sorry, two new slight issues..

1. I've begun my application for Student Finance Wales, and LLD2 is coming up as a 4 year course? Unless I've got it horrifically wrong then I think it's a 3 year course.. Anyway I was wondering whether it's something I need to ask Warwick about, or if SFW need to deal with it..?

2. My offer was the standard A*AAB/A*AAa, the Welsh Baccalaureate didn't form part of my offer, is that absolutely final? It said somewhere that it could potentially replace the 'a', but seeing as I do 4 A Levels would the uni just want me to get the first offer (A*AAB)?

Thanks for your time! :biggrin:
Reply 369
Original post by ILM16
Thank you for the response, I shall pass on the message.

Regarding the stats from last year, are there any more course specific details available?

I can access more course specific details, but it doesn't help anybody to know them as we do not have separate offer targets for our courses, and hence information which seems to indicate "one course had a higher application / offer ratio than another" is simply misleading to a potential applicant.
Reply 370
Original post by roseroserose.
Sorry, two new slight issues..

1. I've begun my application for Student Finance Wales, and LLD2 is coming up as a 4 year course? Unless I've got it horrifically wrong then I think it's a 3 year course.. Anyway I was wondering whether it's something I need to ask Warwick about, or if SFW need to deal with it..?

2. My offer was the standard A*AAB/A*AAa, the Welsh Baccalaureate didn't form part of my offer, is that absolutely final? It said somewhere that it could potentially replace the 'a', but seeing as I do 4 A Levels would the uni just want me to get the first offer (A*AAB)?

Thanks for your time! :biggrin:

Hi,
yes, it's a 3 year course, so I would check this with SFW, contacting the Warwick finance office - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/finance/ - if you need more info

2. yes, where possible, to keep consistency across applicants where possible, we would ask you to meet the 4 A Level offer if you are studying 4 A-Levels.
Hi,

Just wondering, as it is almost the end of the month, could you tell me what is likely to happen to applications that don't receive an offer by the end of March?

Will they get automatically rejected?
Reply 372
Original post by blooper123
Hi,

Just wondering, as it is almost the end of the month, could you tell me what is likely to happen to applications that don't receive an offer by the end of March?

Will they get automatically rejected?

Hi,
no, they are not automatically rejected. We will continue to make decisions so long as we have offers available to make.
Reply 373
Will you give out more offers/rejections for L100 today and tomorrow?
Reply 374
Original post by Jsalgado
Will you give out more offers/rejections for L100 today and tomorrow?

Hi,
I don't deal with the processing of offers / rejections to applicants, so wouldn't have that type of specific information available.
Reply 375
Hey, I have a question! I initially decided of applying for management but now I want to apply for Economics since I like it more. My question is regarding subject combination my subject combination in IB is:
MATHS HL
PHYSICS HL
Business & Mngt HL
Computing SL
Indonesian SL
English A1 SL
do u think this subject combination would be acceptable as I don't have economics plus I have heard ppl with CS are highly disadvantaged.
Reply 376
Original post by zee10
Hey, I have a question! I initially decided of applying for management but now I want to apply for Economics since I like it more. My question is regarding subject combination my subject combination in IB is:
MATHS HL
PHYSICS HL
Business & Mngt HL
Computing SL
Indonesian SL
English A1 SL
do u think this subject combination would be acceptable as I don't have economics plus I have heard ppl with CS are highly disadvantaged.

Hi,
it is not the case that people with CS are highly disadvantaged, and we do not require Economics from applicants, either explicitly or implicitly. When judging your application, we look at more than simply which subjects you have chosen, and what your marks are in those subjects. We look for interest in Economics more broadly, and this can come across in more ways than just the subjects you study.
Reply 377
Hi,

I have an offer for L100 Economics. Does the department post any specific undergraduate destinations? Some universities post e.g. job and position information.

Thanks
Reply 378
Original post by akash297
Hi,

I have an offer for L100 Economics. Does the department post any specific undergraduate destinations? Some universities post e.g. job and position information.

Thanks

Hi,
all Careers related information is handled centrally through our Careers service - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/scs - so, in that sense, the department does not post specific information relating to job positions.

However, you will find that major companies, who have graduate recruitment schemes, will organise events specifically targeted at students in the Economics Department (for example, the Government Economic Service, or the major investment banks), and these will be promoted through the internal department communication channels, such as the Undergraduate Office, and also student-led societies, such as the Warwick Economics Society.
Hello there UoW eco rep!

I've recently been given a conditional offer for entry into one of the MSc programmes which I'll probably be accepting. I have a few simple questions with which you'll be able to help.

1) I was wondering how I'd be able to accept my offer. Do I just send an email to the postgraduate admissions team? I'm not aware of an 'applicant portal' type setup where I'd be able to do this (do correct me if I'm wrong).

2) Upon acceptance of the offer, does the department send a letter signifying this? The reason I ask is that I need proof of the offer for external grant/scholarship reasons. If not, the email might suffice (hopefully).

Well, I guess that that's it for now. Hope my questions weren't too silly! Thanks in advance for the answers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest