The Student Room Group

Anyone Need Hair Help????

Scroll to see replies

hello!
erm, i have the most boring ever straight hair, the sort that no matter how much hairspray you apply, the curls still fall out within and hour or two and my hairdresser suggested getting it permed loosely... is this a good idea?
thankyouuuuuu in advance :smile:
Reply 281
Hello, I'm 15 and i'm getting my haircut on friday. My hair style is usually a fringe to the side and a side parting. I have brown, thick hair; on friday I was thinking to keep the same sort of style but have it quite abit shorter on the side than usual but still with a fair bit on the top (still a bit shorter than normal).
What do you think?
Thanks
Reply 282
Hello Scott

I have quite wavy, if not curly hair, and it is very dry. It was okay although hard to style but since I dip dyed my hair in a lighter shade it became very dry and thin. It brakes a lot and does not maintain the curl any more. I do not blow dry it or use any heat stylers as well as use shampoo for dry hair and rinse it with vinegar. Would be nice to know what would you say is best to help it look good. Thank you
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
hello!
erm, i have the most boring ever straight hair, the sort that no matter how much hairspray you apply, the curls still fall out within and hour or two and my hairdresser suggested getting it permed loosely... is this a good idea?
thankyouuuuuu in advance :smile:

Hi There,

Yes that's exactly what I would suggest. People don't understand that quite often the hair natural texture will detirmine how well a curl or style will stay in and in many cases it will quickly revert back to straight or it's original pattern.

If you perm the hair it changes the texture and memory so it will hold a curl. I'd actually suggest having a firmer perm in your hair and then roller setting over the top (initially). You will find the curls last until you next wash. As the perm gets older it will relax and you can leave it in a wash and wear state.

www.pinup-perm.com is pretty good for information on perming and how it effects and works with the hair.

Cheers

Scott
Original post by Ryan2159
Hello, I'm 15 and i'm getting my haircut on friday. My hair style is usually a fringe to the side and a side parting. I have brown, thick hair; on friday I was thinking to keep the same sort of style but have it quite abit shorter on the side than usual but still with a fair bit on the top (still a bit shorter than normal).
What do you think?
Thanks

Hi Ryan,

I think I missed my reply before your hair appointment friday, but I think your idea of a short back and sides cut (with side parting) is good. This is a very contemporary look for guys so I hope you want with it. I think if you leave the hair longer at the front you can also quiff it if you fancy a change which gives the style a bit of flexibility.

Regards

Scott
Original post by Na-dia
Hello Scott

I have quite wavy, if not curly hair, and it is very dry. It was okay although hard to style but since I dip dyed my hair in a lighter shade it became very dry and thin. It brakes a lot and does not maintain the curl any more. I do not blow dry it or use any heat stylers as well as use shampoo for dry hair and rinse it with vinegar. Would be nice to know what would you say is best to help it look good. Thank you

Hi There,

It needs hydration, so I would recommend you get Lee Stafford's Hair Growth Treatment from Boots which should put some moisture back into the ends and prevent the breaking.

Also, if you don't already use one invest in a Tangle Teezer and use this to comb your hair out when wet, this will stop the breaking.

Another tip (to help your hair whilst it's recovering) would be to roller set it from wet and leave to dry. This will create soft curls and waves in your hair but without the need to use any heat. Combine this with the treatment and using the Tangle Teezer and you should find the hair begins returning to normal and still looking good.

Cheers

Scott
Reply 286
Original post by ScottCornwall
Hi There,

It needs hydration, so I would recommend you get Lee Stafford's Hair Growth Treatment from Boots which should put some moisture back into the ends and prevent the breaking.

Also, if you don't already use one invest in a Tangle Teezer and use this to comb your hair out when wet, this will stop the breaking.

Another tip (to help your hair whilst it's recovering) would be to roller set it from wet and leave to dry. This will create soft curls and waves in your hair but without the need to use any heat. Combine this with the treatment and using the Tangle Teezer and you should find the hair begins returning to normal and still looking good.

Cheers

Scott

Thank you :smile:
Reply 287
Hi Scott!

I'm a 31 year old female and have very fine hair and not a vast amount of it unfortunately! I was wondering if there are any products/supplements/techniques you can recommend to encourage it to grow thicker, appear thicker or just grow more of it??!

Cheers! x
Reply 288
Hi Ryan,

I think I missed my reply before your hair appointment friday, but I think your idea of a short back and sides cut (with side parting) is good. This is a very contemporary look for guys so I hope you want with it. I think if you leave the hair longer at the front you can also quiff it if you fancy a change which gives the style a bit of flexibility.

Regards

Scott

I went with that cut. I'm really liking so far! I use American Crew Fiber to style my hair and I was thinking about adding another hair product to style my hair, eitehr American Crew Pomade or Mitch semi-matte styling cream. But what will these offer other than what I already have?

Thanks
Reply 289
Hi Scott, my hair is the definition of BORING! I either wear it down in the same style or just up in a pony! I'm trying to grow my layers and fringe out so I can do more with it but it's taking ages. I have to straighten my hair ALL the time as it is really thick, I won't wear it down unless it is straight. I'm trying to grow it by straightening it less and less but it's not working :frown:

Are there any up hair styles that you would recommend and any products on how to keep your hair healthy?

Thank you
Reply 290
Right so im having a haircut soon, and im just thinking this style may be good, what do you guys think ? (i know its david beckham, but this is the exact style im considering)

The only difference is that it will be less spiky

becks04.jpg

david-beckham-2010-soccer-italian-serie-DQDX1l.jpg

AC-Milan-VS-Fiorentina-6.jpg
Reply 291
What colour dye will look good with black hair in an ombre style ? Apart from blonde.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 292
I have one!

I have quite curly natural hair, however after a day or so it goes a bit flat/straightish on top sometimes and the bottom of it is really curly, and it really annoys me.

I can use products but often I find they make my hair feel weird and weigh it down. I 'plop' my hair everytime after I've washed it, and it helps but still goes a bit flat on top the next day!

Are there any good products or methods to keep your curly hair maintain the curl and shape that are not heavy? Maybe like water-based products?
Original post by swish2k
Hi Scott!

I'm a 31 year old female and have very fine hair and not a vast amount of it unfortunately! I was wondering if there are any products/supplements/techniques you can recommend to encourage it to grow thicker, appear thicker or just grow more of it??!

Cheers! x

Hi Swish, It's so difficult to recommend a product to make hair grow thicker because it could be genetic as to where you hair is fine and it may not be capable of altering. I used to find Collagen Sachet supplements gave good hair growth in my clients, but it's always trial and error and would take you a few months to see the results. Cod Liver oil capsules also help.

If you want the hair to appear thicker I'd tell you to keep layering to a minum and try to work with a bob structure (if shorter). I find too many layers in fine hair reduce it's body completely. Hairstylists always want to layer it up but I just think it reduces weight. Less layering enables a better shape and fullness.

What shade are you? A block hair colour is really unforgiving on fine hair as it displays the scalp (especially in darker colours). Having a few multi tones running through it creates depth and gives the perception of texture.

Also, nobody ever thinks of this - but try setting your hair on large volume rollers from very wet using a volumizing mousse. Then if you get yourself a hood dryer from Argos it will blast hair into the hair and root as you sit under it. When you remove the rollers the hair will look full and healthy. If you then use Batiste XXL Volume in between washes it will keep the set in place.

Try to reduce use of conditioner or restrict to just the ends, this can cause the hair to look flat and lank. Always use a volumizing shampoo.

I hope this has helped in some way.

Regards

Scott
Hi Everyone,

As you know I give hair advice and try as best as I can to come on here and answer your questions. However, quite often I miss many of your questions because five get posted at once and I only see the first and last!

I'm trying to build a hair resouce on my website which will hold a wealth of information which people can just go onto and receive the answer they want.
Therefore (if you wouldn't mind helping me) I wondered if you could put your hair questions to me in this thread and I will a) answer them and b) use them on my site so you have access to them in the future.

The categories I'd really like questions on are:-

Style (cuts, home styling, perming, straightening etc)
Colour (all issues colour related)
Mens (Guys please send me anything grooming related and I'll help)

And anything else you can think of!

Again - sorry if I miss any of your questions - but hopefully if we can try and contain them within one thread I will have more chance finding them again.

Also - remember to join me on Facebook at 'Scott Cornwall Hair Expert' and on Twitter as I post updates and links to hair regularly on here too!

Kind Regards

Scott

Hey, I have such thick frizzy hair and i hate it.
What shampoo/conditioners will help make my hair thinner?

Also my hair is blonde and i have pale skin, so i really want to dye my hair. I dyed it successfully a light brown it was supposed to last for a few weeks as it was non permanent but it only actually lasted about one week, so i dyed it again with a loreal permanent colour it was supposed to go mahogany but it went dark purple.. What makes are reliable??
heya, so I'm gonna get my hair cut soon and was thinking something like this http://www.gallery.becomegorgeous.com/short_hairstyles/lovely_short_pixie_hair_style-2820.html
but with a slightly longer fringe,
heres a photo of me, would it suit me? I always worry when changing hairstyles haha
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/427407_10150757611687845_485912912_n.jpg (I'm the female haha)
Reply 296
Hi Swish, It's so difficult to recommend a product to make hair grow thicker because it could be genetic as to where you hair is fine and it may not be capable of altering. I used to find Collagen Sachet supplements gave good hair growth in my clients, but it's always trial and error and would take you a few months to see the results. Cod Liver oil capsules also help.

If you want the hair to appear thicker I'd tell you to keep layering to a minum and try to work with a bob structure (if shorter). I find too many layers in fine hair reduce it's body completely. Hairstylists always want to layer it up but I just think it reduces weight. Less layering enables a better shape and fullness.

What shade are you? A block hair colour is really unforgiving on fine hair as it displays the scalp (especially in darker colours). Having a few multi tones running through it creates depth and gives the perception of texture.

Also, nobody ever thinks of this - but try setting your hair on large volume rollers from very wet using a volumizing mousse. Then if you get yourself a hood dryer from Argos it will blast hair into the hair and root as you sit under it. When you remove the rollers the hair will look full and healthy. If you then use Batiste XXL Volume in between washes it will keep the set in place.

Try to reduce use of conditioner or restrict to just the ends, this can cause the hair to look flat and lank. Always use a volumizing shampoo.

I hope this has helped in some way.

Regards

Scott

Hey Scott!

Thank you so much for your advice! I have been doing a few of your tips for a while anyway, like a long layer instead of lots of short ones. I will try the supplements and see how I get on. I don't mind waiting a few months to see results, will be good just to try something new!

I dye my hair deep red at home, which I thought made it look thicker, but you are right about being able to see the scalp and when the roots grow it always looks thinner again! I'll try some highlights next time instead!

Cheers muchly again for your help! Keep up the good work! :biggrin:
Hi Scott,

I have some quite fancy parties coming up and I was wondering if you knew some easy hair up-dos which do look a bit fancy? I have hair that comes past my shoulders and I some layers.
Hi Scott, I'm Sandy (as you can probably guess haha) I'm really happy with my hair; it's very healthy, naturally quite straight and long, just past my shoulders.

I find it really difficult to put in bumpits, they don't stay in place on my head. I just use a medium sized one on my head puff up my hair and hair-grip it behind the bumpit, but this never keeps them in and hidden.

I was wondering whether Im putting them on wrong or if there is any other hair accessory I can buy which has the same effects?

Thanks.

By the way, are you a hair dresser? :smile:
Reply 299
Hi

So i recently got my haircut and am looking for something different compared to my current combover. i was thinking of doing something like this

Any tips/advice on how to get it would be appreciated
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending