The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2016 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin
Hi mature students, are you applying to university this year? Post and tell us where! :awesome:

What are you currently studying/have studied:
Which universities are you applying to:
Which course(s) do you want to do:
Any other info you feel like sharing:

I'm 21 and have a place at University of Nottingham studying philosophy on the arts foundation pathway - I have no A Levels due to personal problems so they've basically accepted me on the condition I achieve my CertHE (from the Open University)... can't believe how lucky I am
Hi, I may not be the most mature person in this forum (I'm only 20), but having been out of education for a couple of years, I just want some tips on how to prepare for uni. I'm going to be studying chemistry and I've already started to read over my A level notes just to jog my memory. But I was just wondering if anyone has any tips to fresh up my knowledge near the level that the average straight out of school student would have
Original post by Dancingdodo27
Hi, I may not be the most mature person in this forum (I'm only 20), but having been out of education for a couple of years, I just want some tips on how to prepare for uni. I'm going to be studying chemistry and I've already started to read over my A level notes just to jog my memory. But I was just wondering if anyone has any tips to fresh up my knowledge near the level that the average straight out of school student would have

Some of the top American universities like MIT put videos of lectures on YouTube, so you can follow whole courses. If you search for "MIT chemistry" you should find some playlists that will be useful to you.
Which universities are you applying to: University of Gloucestershire (Unconditional - Firm Accepted) 2016 Entry

Which course(s) do you want to do: Law LLB (2 Year Fast Track)

What are you currently studying: HND Level 5 Criminal Justice

Any other info you feel like sharing:
Age 35, Looking forward to topping up my HND to LLB and hopefully I'm not the only old timer at Uni.
Hi guys can i ask if some of you already have a degree and how are you funding your second one?
STILL GOING STRONG!!!
In a week time I will be turning 34 years old, I went to uni for the first time at 18 and got a degree in Physical Engineering from the University of Bologna (Italy) I later decided to move to Australia/USA to do my airline pilot course and worked for various airline till 2012, when I had an accident, lost part of my eyesight and consequently my age, I decided to go back to Study and to Science and Engineering at the age of 30, as I thought my knowledge was a bit rusty, before enroll in a Master, I'd brash up with a second degree so, through credit transfer I gained a second Bachelor degree from the Open University in Engineering and now I have three offers to do a Master in Aerospace Engineering,either at Kingston, Brunel or Linkoping in Sweden.
Original post by Canucks7782
STILL GOING STRONG!!!
In a week time I will be turning 34 years old, I went to uni for the first time at 18 and got a degree in Physical Engineering from the University of Bologna (Italy) I later decided to move to Australia/USA to do my airline pilot course and worked for various airline till 2012, when I had an accident, lost part of my eyesight and consequently my age, I decided to go back to Study and to Science and Engineering at the age of 30, as I thought my knowledge was a bit rusty, before enroll in a Master, I'd brash up with a second degree so, through credit transfer I gained a second Bachelor degree from the Open University in Engineering and now I have three offers to do a Master in Aerospace Engineering,either at Kingston, Brunel or Linkoping in Sweden.

Hope you dont mind me asking! are you going to work at the same time and how are you funding your degree or rather your second one? i know we cant get loans for second degrees you see
Reply 267
Original post by angelseyes
Hi guys can i ask if some of you already have a degree and how are you funding your second one?

I got my first degree in South Africa. So I qualified for student finance.
Original post by Excited

Hey! Whereabouts in SA? I'm South African/German :smile:
Original post by Excited

ahhhh ok
Just finished my first year in Criminology. I'm 68.
Original post by Seamus123

Thats amazing
Thats amazing

Thank you.
Reply 273
Original post by ClaireFad
Hey! Whereabouts in SA? I'm South African/German :smile:

I'm originally from Port Elizabeth, but I went to Wits in JHB. What about you?
Original post by Excited
I'm originally from Port Elizabeth, but I went to Wits in JHB. What about you?

I'm originally from George, but spent the last 5 years working in Grahamstown :smile: small world!

I'm going to self-fund a part time Foundation course at Keele in GeoSciences, then go on to study MSc course, hopefully at Durham. You?
Reply 275
Original post by ClaireFad
I'm originally from George, but spent the last 5 years working in Grahamstown :smile: small world!

I'm going to self-fund a part time Foundation course at Keele in GeoSciences, then go on to study MSc course, hopefully at Durham. You?

Oh gosh - very small world! I was in George last year.
I'm doing Accounting and Finance at UCLAN. A bit daunting as I'm 36 and leaving a full time job. But it's what I want to do.

YOU ARE AWESOME...1948 born?
Hope you dont mind me asking! are you going to work at the same time and how are you funding your degree or rather your second one? i know we cant get loans for second degrees you see

When I did my first Bachelor Uni fees where in the region of 1000-1500 pounds and my parents were still in full time work, I have always worked part time as pastry chef, pizza chef and waiting table when I was in my early 20s.

When I started the OU I have managed to enroll before the new expensive fees came in, therefore only paid a couple of grant for my whole degree and Yes whilst working as Pilot first and later in many different position within my airline.

for My MSc there is a chance that I will qualify for student finance as form this year they are start offering PG Loans, but If I won't I have now enough savings to take me trough the course, may be 34 but I can still work part time even in a coffee shop if I have to, despite my age I still wanna dream and make a difference, I believe in me and I encourange anybody young or not so young to do the same...

Good Luck!
Original post by Canucks7782
YOU ARE AWESOME...1948 born?

Yes.

Wow! That's awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending