The Student Room Group

How to (Painlessly) Apply to US Universities

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys.i just wants to find out if AICE exams ( the alevel exams ) accepted by some unis is limited to only the CIE board or does it include other boards like AQA, OCR etc. I asked this because I did My alevels with different exam boards and I wonder if colleges will accept them or just the CIE ones . I intend to transfer the credits and maybe bypass freshman year. Any advice on schools that accept alevels from any exam boards will be highly appreciated.Thanks
Hey guys! I'm an American, going to be a senior (6th Form for you guys) in the fall. I'm not applying to US unit, but if you have any questions about the admissions cycle in the US, feel free to ask!
Hiya

I am thinking of applying to Uni in America but need help with funding?? I have no US relatives ,is there any way round this? :confused:
Original post by teethomas
Hiya

I am thinking of applying to Uni in America but need help with funding?? I have no US relatives ,is there any way round this? :confused:

What caliber universities are you looking at applying to? If you're aiming for those universities that meet full need of international applicants and are need blind then if you do get admitted you'll receive financial aid from them, if you qualify (definitely will if parent income <=$120K/year, if they have regular assets). If you're not planning on applying to those highly competitive universities then you're out of luck on funding as most american universities don't provide financial aid to international applicants. You've got two option:

-Apply to school where you qualify for full tuition scholarships or ones that provide enough merit scholarships so that you're family is able to cover the remaining costs
-Take out a ton of loans to cover the costs that your parents won't be able to cover (loans will need to be taken out from your home country, can't take stafford loans from the federal govt. of US if you aren't a US citizen/permanent resident/green card holder). *Warning: you won't receive a visa to study in the US if you aren't able to show that you (parents) are able to cover the costs of attendance.

However, if you're a US citizen/green card holder/permenant resident of the US then you're in luck - you need to strategize by applying to colleges that meet 100% of demonstrated need (calculated by the college using your parent's financial information). Here's a list of colleges that claim to meet 100% demonstrated need of applicants that are US citizen/residents or green card holders:http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/articles/2014/09/15/colleges-and-universities-that-claim-to-meet-full-financial-need
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bubbly_doodle
Hey guys.i just wants to find out if AICE exams ( the alevel exams ) accepted by some unis is limited to only the CIE board or does it include other boards like AQA, OCR etc. I asked this because I did My alevels with different exam boards and I wonder if colleges will accept them or just the CIE ones . I intend to transfer the credits and maybe bypass freshman year. Any advice on schools that accept alevels from any exam boards will be highly appreciated.Thanks

Other exam boards are also accepted. Where did you hear that? Don't worry - if you meet the grade requirements for transfer credits you'll get the credits even if you didn't do CIE a levels.
Original post by kurofune
Hey guys! I'm an American, going to be a senior (6th Form for you guys) in the fall. I'm not applying to US unit, but if you have any questions about the admissions cycle in the US, feel free to ask!

Would you be able to explain the process of choosing subjects? I understand the concept of a major, but I'm confused as to how many subjects you're expected to take, and are there subjects which are mandatory (english, math, etc)?
Original post by ehayward
Would you be able to explain the process of choosing subjects? I understand the concept of a major, but I'm confused as to how many subjects you're expected to take, and are there subjects which are mandatory (english, math, etc)?

It varies by school, but basically they have what is called general education for the first two years of university. so you take a broad amount of courses, regardless of what you'll end up majoring in later. the university should send you a course catalogue (a large book that lists all the classes the university has to offer) and the course catalogue should also specify your general education requirements.
Hi everyone. I am from the UK interested in applying to study Psychology and Drama at the University of Miami- on their website in the 'international applicants' section it says: 'The SAT/ACT report is not required and should not be submitted for admission consideration from applicants who are attending schools outside the United States.'

Does this mean I should apply without taking the SATs and just send off my Application with my GCSE and A Level results? I will have them by the point of application as I will be applying at he beginning of my gap year (after I receive my A Level results.)

So am I in the clear not to take SATs? Even though I haven't taken Maths since GCSE?
Reply 128
Original post by kiera28
Hi everyone. I am from the UK interested in applying to study Psychology and Drama at the University of Miami- on their website in the 'international applicants' section it says: 'The SAT/ACT report is not required and should not be submitted for admission consideration from applicants who are attending schools outside the United States.'

Does this mean I should apply without taking the SATs and just send off my Application with my GCSE and A Level results? I will have them by the point of application as I will be applying at he beginning of my gap year (after I receive my A Level results.)

So am I in the clear not to take SATs? Even though I haven't taken Maths since GCSE?

I recently emailed them! This is the reply I got concerning my SAT scores
"

You can submit an SAT score of course, but I highly recommend you send it only if you feel like it will greatly enhance your overall academic profile

"
Original post by froa98
I recently emailed them! This is the reply I got concerning my SAT scores
"

You can submit an SAT score of course, but I highly recommend you send it only if you feel like it will greatly enhance your overall academic profile

"

Oh right, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So in America what would l need to study Microbiology?
So if I wanted to transfer to an American uni during my first year of uni in the UK, do I still need to take SATs/ACT? Do I still need to take SAT subject tests?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Excellent thread. I considered applying to American universities but as I would be picking a rather odd major I would be limited to only a few universities, all of which were very competitive.
I would love to be able to study in the USA but it seems a little optimistic. There is no way I could really afford to go to university in America for four years so I would probably have to think of another way to do it. Are there university's in Scotland that allow you to do a year or two at an American university? And how would I get help with the funding?
No one in my whole family has ever studied abroad and to be honest I find that quite boring. Obviously it has a lot to do with the funding but if I could find a way to pay for it I would be desperate to get out of Scotland at some point. I don't really know exactly what I want to do but I'm thinking of psychology combined with something else. I'm the type of person that doesn't like to stick to one thing which is proving a real problem when I have to decide one path. What advice can any one give?
Original post by Peneps
I would love to be able to study in the USA but it seems a little optimistic. There is no way I could really afford to go to university in America for four years so I would probably have to think of another way to do it. Are there university's in Scotland that allow you to do a year or two at an American university? And how would I get help with the funding?
No one in my whole family has ever studied abroad and to be honest I find that quite boring. Obviously it has a lot to do with the funding but if I could find a way to pay for it I would be desperate to get out of Scotland at some point. I don't really know exactly what I want to do but I'm thinking of psychology combined with something else. I'm the type of person that doesn't like to stick to one thing which is proving a real problem when I have to decide one path. What advice can any one give?

Hey man,I recently had some good news. So I hope you don't give up on your dreams and pursue it endlessly until it drives you mad. I was in the same position as you, but as long as you work very hard and show how passionate you are by making the most of your situation, nothing is impossible. Best of luck.
Hey! Just want to let everyone know that it is possible to get a big scholarship to the US without having to be a genius! I just got a scholarship worth $14,500 a year to a US Uni for academics. My ACT scores were only 27. It is more important for your grades to be good. If anyone want any help or advice, just message me!
Original post by augusta_t
Hey! Just want to let everyone know that it is possible to get a big scholarship to the US without having to be a genius! I just got a scholarship worth $14,500 a year to a US Uni for academics. My ACT scores were only 27. It is more important for your grades to be good. If anyone want any help or advice, just message me!

Which Univerisity gave you this offer and what is the course you intend to major in?
Original post by Craig_Nelz
Which Univerisity gave you this offer and what is the course you intend to major in?

Hi! My major is history. That was actually my smallest scholarship, from the University of Indianapolis, I have $15,000 a year from Merrimack, and $30000 a year for Denver!
When applying to Unis do you apply with Gcse as my Gcse are 1A* 4A 2B 2C and my IB is 40 so would I need to take SATs and would I need to apply with gcse as they are quite poor I am a US citizen the University I Would like to is Berkeley ,,would they accept me or am I limited by GCSE if I have to apply with them
Reply 139
Hi, well I have been doing some research here and there to make sure that the university i want to go to (yale) would accept me even if i was an IGCSE student but i didn't find a lot about it could someone please explain :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending