The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Outside subject(s) in 1st and 2nd year *post here with questions*

Scroll to see replies

Tas - I think it's unlikely that you'll be allowed to do extra credits, but the whole situation is something you'd be best talking to your personal tutor about when you get to Edinburgh. There's nothing stopping you from going to lectures you aren't signed up for if it doesn't conflict with your other classes, but obviously they wouldn't be marking any coursework you did for those audited classes.
Edinburgh do have a society called 'Tandem' which might help you- it's a language swap, so you would spend some time each week teaching someone better English and they would teach you better Spanish.

I did a year studying abroad. Some departments have their own study abroad programs separate from the university wide one, and Physics might be one of those? Which would give you extra options of where to go for your year. When you're looking at where to go, talk to the person in your department who is the study abroad liaison, they know lots of useful things! I was considering going to France for my year, as I'd done Higher & Advanced Higher French & really wanted to get better at it. I was also taking a French class at the start of my 2nd year (I forget which one now) so I thought I'd be able to manage it. However, the liaison said that most of the French universities aren't particularly sympathetic to the fact it's a second language for exchange students, and that it could be quite difficult to keep up. Not all universities in all non-english speaking countries are like that though :smile: I eventually went to the USA instead, and that had enough challenges that I was glad I was speaking English there!

Language aside, studying abroad is an amazing experience and I highly recommend it :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
@daeonica , thanks so much, that's a really great and complete reply. Thanks!! :smile:
Hi, I was just wondering how many people in psychology lectures and tutorials are usually there as their outside subject choice. Thank you
Does anybody know of some courses that might be relevant to a first year Computer Science student in semester 1? I'm planning on taking "Data, Design and Society" in semester 2, but that leaves me with 20 credits to fill in Semester 1. I can fill it with either a 20 credit course OR the programming and data analysis physics course (10 credits) combined with another 10 credit course.
Reply 704
I have an unconditional firm for International Relations but I realized I actually want to do Chinese and Economics. I'm going to take a Math SAT Subject Test (I'm from the US) next month in case they still need that requirement for Econ but if I don't get a great score, can I still switch to that course in my first year? I aim to switch in the first two weeks.
Original post by erod47
I have an unconditional firm for International Relations but I realized I actually want to do Chinese and Economics. I'm going to take a Math SAT Subject Test (I'm from the US) next month in case they still need that requirement for Econ but if I don't get a great score, can I still switch to that course in my first year? I aim to switch in the first two weeks.

the best thing to do is email or call the university and ask as it will depend on how popular the course you want to do.

Although in theory you can swap as they are different schools and would have had different entry requirements and different priorities for selecting students. If Economics wanted a particular grade at maths for entry they will still want that as it is the level of maths they feel you need to take the course.

Even if you are considered suitable for a place if the course you want to swap to is oversubscribed there may not be any room for you. . SO get in touch with them and see what they say- Best to know it is possible before you get there !
Original post by Han-han-han
Are all subjects available as an 'outside subject?' What about English or the arty ones like costume design? Thanks :smile:

English literature is a fantastic course but super tough to get into. Usually it's a lot more straightforward getting into arts courses.
Reply 707
Original post by watchingyouwatch
the best thing to do is email or call the university and ask as it will depend on how popular the course you want to do.

Although in theory you can swap as they are different schools and would have had different entry requirements and different priorities for selecting students. If Economics wanted a particular grade at maths for entry they will still want that as it is the level of maths they feel you need to take the course.

Even if you are considered suitable for a place if the course you want to swap to is oversubscribed there may not be any room for you. . SO get in touch with them and see what they say- Best to know it is possible before you get there !

Hi thanks for replying! Strangely enough I saw on their website that Economics 1 has no prerequisites or requirements or anything so I wonder if this means right when I get there I can switch without the test since it's in the same college
I was a week late submitting my course pre-selection form for 2nd year outside subjects. The uni says forms are still processed until 8th August but that the pre-deadline ones get priority in allocations. I'm in the School of Social and Political Science and put Greek World as my 1st preference. Does anyone know if I still have a good chance of getting into my 1st choice subject?
What is the credits limit for outside courses in year 1? Year 2?
Can you study a language as an outside subject for all 4 years of the degree without having to switch degree titles and do a year abroad?
Hey, so I got my offer recently and it was minimum requirements, so I'm seriously considering going to Edinburgh. A couple of things have got my nervous. My first question is how much accommodation is available to those students who wish to live in halls but do not want catered? Also in terms of the basketball squad, I hear there are three teams, will someone of county league level (who has played national league) stand a good chance of making one of the teams?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending