The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

It'd probably be better if this society was merged with the Muscle Building one since we've both got the same aim: to build muscle. The MBS thread is almost at 10,000 posts anyway so it'll be locked in a matter of days no doubt, and when the new one is created the unnecessary "for men" part can be removed.
Reply 21
Original post by Smack
It'd probably be better if this society was merged with the Muscle Building one since we've both got the same aim: to build muscle. The MBS thread is almost at 10,000 posts anyway so it'll be locked in a matter of days no doubt, and when the new one is created the unnecessary "for men" part can be removed.

I think it's sometimes good to have a girl-only or predominantly girl group, a lot of girls prefer talking amongst themselves or don't feel as comfortable talking to guys, internet or not. I'm obviously not opposed to a mixed group, but I feel that you'll lose some girls if it's the only option.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
It's ok, we don't bite. :perv:
Reply 23
Original post by Shawshank
It's ok, we don't bite. :perv:

...much :tongue:. Nah, I don't mind, but there is a reason that girl-specific threads and forums exist, and I'd prefer that option was there.
Original post by Addzter
Fixed for you.

megalulz
Reply 25
Original post by Sorani
I think it's sometimes good to have a girl-only or predominantly girl group, a lot of girls prefer talking amongst themselves or don't feel as comfortable talking to guys, internet or not. I'm obviously not opposed to a mixed group, but I feel that you'll lose some girls if it's the only option.

This sounds right to me. Let a thousand flowers bloom.
Reply 26
Original post by jus2sik
I dono dude, last friday i saw this really hot girl at the gym, huge boobs, nice legs, kinda big arms, anywais i was usin the bench and i asked her to spot me cos she was the only one there and i wanted to try a new max (100 kg) so i tried and i failed and she helped me up, then i went onto to do my shoulders at the shoulder bench, but she asked me for a spot when she was on the bench, i walked over and omg she had 4x25kg 2x15 kg 2x2.5 kg plates on there, and she managed 3 whole reps amazingly, and then i had to help, but damn she was stronger then me on everything besides squats (im quite proud of my fat powerfull ass, i used to go to the gym for a whole year and just do legs because i was scared i was going to ''stunt'' my growth)

Anyways im interested in how much the average woman that works out regularly can lift, would you all mind letting me know how much you do?

A girl benching 155kg for 3 reps without a suit? Isnt that close to the raw record?

Yeah I am calling bull on that brah learn how to count weights, gtfo
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Addzter
Fixed for you.

Back off Addzter. I aint interested in the pics for the thrill of the jizz. :cool:
Original post by Sorani

7) I don't want to hear about how we should be doing light weights, high reps.

Just a little bit of info regarding this. Medium weights high reps or between the two for Clean & jerks.

C&Js have different results based on how you do them.

Heavy weights train you to become explosive and strong, handy yes, but lowering the weights, not so much that they dont pose a challenge but not heavy enough to think "more than 18 reps is too much.." will give you a brilliant fat busting, figure definign workout.

No need for spinning, no need for treadmills, just doing those with either barbells or kettelbells WILL put your heart rate through the roof and keep any muscle mass gained.

You need to do this lift porperly however and get it nailed down.

Its not just 20, 20, 20, 20 either, its more varied than that and the number of sets is pretty daunting.
Reply 29
Why can't you just stay out of my threads?

Allow me to repeat the rules in simpler terms, if I say "I don't want to hear..." it means exactly that. If you're that desperate to make your opinion known start a new thread about it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by sleekchic
But I liked the other thread. :frown:

Anyway today I benched 35kg for 3x5. I'm pretty impressed and I'm looking forward to getting to 40kg

That's really good! That's my next target. Hunting it down :colone: Will probably be a few weeks though! What I've discovered is so cool about lifting weights is that when I started a couple of months ago I could barely bench 1 rep of 20kg and now when I take the bar out it feels so light! I know these are "newbie gains" or whatever but I don't care :biggrin:

Now, to work on getting my deadlift off 50kg :nothing:

Original post by Sorani
Why can't you just stay out of my threads?

Allow me to repeat the rules in simpler terms, if I say "I don't want to hear..." it means exactly that. If you're that desperate to make your opinion known start a new thread about it.

I also agree that a new thread was a good idea because due to certain members' "advice" arguments kept breaking out and it kind of took over the thread.
Maybe a rule of the Soc. could be that advice on technique, routine etc isn't given unless people explicitly ask for it? Basically assume that people in the Soc. vaguely know what they're doing unless they state otherwise. Hopefully that would stop ****ty advice being bandied about willy-nilly.
Are girls who only have access to stupid confusing machines allowed to join? I can't afford any other gym atm :sigh:
Reply 32
Original post by steffi.alexa
Are girls who only have access to stupid confusing machines allowed to join? I can't afford any other gym atm :sigh:

Do they not even have dumbells?
Original post by Becca

Original post by Becca
Do they not even have dumbells?

No, it's a free, unsupervised gym so I think that's probably considered too dangerous as there's no one around to make sure you're not being a dick. Having said that, I'm sure there will be people who will put themselves in hospital the way they use the ergs :dry:
Reply 34

I think you can join, you do have weight machines and it isn't your fault that the gym is rubbish (but nice and cheap!)
Reply 35
No, it's a free, unsupervised gym so I think that's probably considered too dangerous as there's no one around to make sure you're not being a dick. Having said that, I'm sure there will be people who will put themselves in hospital the way they use the ergs :dry:

Ah yeah, thinking about it, my college gym at uni had a couple of machines and the rest was ergs and treadmills.
Maybe you could improvise and use furniture? :p:
Original post by Sorani
I think you can join, you do have weight machines and it isn't your fault that the gym is rubbish (but nice and cheap!)

:woo: I am going to start rowing again so I'll see on Tuesday if that'll give me access to decent weights or not!

Original post by Becca
Ah yeah, thinking about it, my college gym at uni had a couple of machines and the rest was ergs and treadmills.
Maybe you could improvise and use furniture? :p:

Don't tempt me! It's so bad in my gym atm - on the machines I'm lifting more than some of the guys in there. They just go to **** around. Idiots. :nothing: They hog all the equipment too :dry:
MUBC members are expected to join Platt Lane Gym (at the back of Platt Fields Park), where we have a dedicated erg room with 8 Concept 2 ergs; and also free weight facilities.

:woo:
Reply 38
:woo: I am going to start rowing again so I'll see on Tuesday if that'll give me access to decent weights or not!

Don't tempt me! It's so bad in my gym atm - on the machines I'm lifting more than some of the guys in there. They just go to **** around. Idiots. :nothing: They hog all the equipment too :dry:

Grr that would drive me insane! The other day I was on the leg press (haven't started squatting with bar yet due to shoulder problem) and this man kept harassing me. I had just got on and he asked me if I was finished. I told him I had just started my warm up. He came back for every rest period in between my 3 sets. I asked if he wanted to double up but he said no. When I told him it was my last set he stood really close to the machine then jumped into the seat as soon as I got off! He set the weight to 45kg.
I went over to the dumbells and I was watching him. He did 10 reps on 45kg then got off. :lolwut:
Original post by Becca

Original post by Becca
Grr that would drive me insane! The other day I was on the leg press (haven't started squatting with bar yet due to shoulder problem) and this man kept harassing me. I had just got on and he asked me if I was finished. I told him I had just started my warm up. He came back for every rest period in between my 3 sets. I asked if he wanted to double up but he said no. When I told him it was my last set he stood really close to the machine then jumped into the seat as soon as I got off! He set the weight to 45kg.
I went over to the dumbells and I was watching him. He did 10 reps on 45kg then got off. :lolwut:

Haha a guy did something similar to that to me only on an erg. He sat on one of the weights machines (see what I mean about hogging?) tapping and touching the erg I was using. I would have smacked him if I wasn't so exhausted :teehee:

Quick Reply