The Student Room Group

How often do you skip uni?

Question in the title.

I'm in my second year and I keep missing uni. I know I really shouldn't, but I'm finding it so hard to motivate myself because I really dislike my course. I'm completely on top of all my work and when discussing uni with my friends who do go to class, I feel I know as much, if not more than them because the guilt from not going in to uni makes me do further reading to make myself feel better!
I know which classes are really important so make the effort to go to them, I just struggle with the others. It's not like I sleep all day instead of going to uni, I do still work I just much prefer it and get on much better doing it alone or going to the library for a few hours. I'm in contact with my tutors regularly so I'm not missing out on important information that is given out.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've been missing a lot of lectures, and although I'm not completely up to date with all the work, I know I'm being more productive at home than if i was sat in the lecture theatre (where I'd probably be asleep due to boredom). I go to compulsory classes like labs and tutorials, and I do try to go to probably about half of my lectures.
Reply 2
I have to be completely honest here, I missed yesterday due to doing my essay last minute(allnighter) and then crashing. But it did feel productive!
Reply 3
I used to miss uni quite often and unlike you, always fell behind with work.
I was okay with it though because I knew when it came down to the knitty gritty stuff I would pull through, eventually got the grade I had hoped for.

Sounds like you missing lectures isn't hindering your education so all is well!
Hardly ever this year (3rd year). Mainly because my modules are more interesting now. I do often skip my 9 am lecture though.

Last year however I went to maybe half of my classes. :tongue:
I'm missing my lecture today because I have other work I need to catch up on, and my one lecture today I hardly ever pay attention to anyway. I think studying it myself will be more productive. Other than that, I try my best not to miss them.
Reply 6
There's no reason to feel guilty about skipping lectures if you don't gain anything from them. If you're covering everything your need to know in your own time, you'll been fine.

I go to nearly all my lectures because I find them useful and revise well from the handouts and from the voice recordings I make, but that's just me
Reply 7
I missed a lecture about once a week in my first year, about once a month in my second year, and I didn't miss a lecture in my third or fourth years.

Personally I found it took me just as long to copy up the notes as it would have done to sit in the lecture itself, but I understood the material a lot less, so it was a completely false time economy anyway.
I've been quite ill recently and I had to go home unexpectedly last week so I've missed a fair bit this semester. However, I would normally go to pretty much all my classes, maybe missing the occasional lecture.
Reply 9
I've not missed any lectures so far, and wouldn't dare miss a seminar. I am missing a lecture in two weeks time though as I'm going home for the weekend and can't get the train back til Monday.
Original post by Stratos
I have to be completely honest here, I missed yesterday due to doing my essay last minute(allnighter) and then crashing. But it did feel productive!

You don't have to.
Reply 11
Original post by SoulfulBoy
You don't have to.

Fair enough. :teehee:
Far too often.
I missed 1 or 2 lectures a term in my under grad - we had to register each lecture and had to explain any absences (over 3 in a module without explanation = expulsion).
For my masters - so far not missed one. We have two solid days a week and if I missed one I'd never possibly be able to read up on the stuff as most of it is professionals going over their personal case studies. However, I've got an essay in next friday, so this friday's lecture attendance depens on how much reading I get done today..
Reply 14
I skip uni far to much, I'm doing marketing and advertising and I've received and email today saying that i've got a below 50% attendance and I've got to go to a meeting on Wednesday. I'm just gonna take my completed course work with me and show them why I don't go in sometimes and hope that works.
Reply 15
I haven't missed one yet :K:

But I only have 4-5 a week so I'd have to be pretty lazy...
Reply 16
out of you serial lecture skippers how many of you do science subjects :holmes:
Quite a lot
Oh well
Original post by Fat-Love
out of you serial lecture skippers how many of you do science subjects :holmes:

I do
Reply 19
Probably more than I should but I still pulled through with a first year average of 67.5% so I don't feel too bad about it.

Latest