The Student Room Group

Mature Students Applying for University 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elle408
My email has beeped at me twice today and my heart has started pounding! lol So far, nothing.

It's my one month UCAS anniversary today! lol One whole entire month of obsessive email checking and track stalking! :birthday:

Twas my anniversary yesterday, forgot to celebrate :redface:

The scariest email so far was this morning. I received an email from UCAS about student finances. As soon as I saw UCAS in big letters on my iPhone, hell almost froze over for me :colondollar:

Nothing as yet, nothing at all!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 221
Original post by admbeatmaker

The scariest email so far was this morning. I received an email from UCAS about student finances. As soon as I saw UCAS in big letters on my iPhone, hell almost froze over for me :colondollar:

I too received that e-mail!
Reply 222

Original post by Karm
I too received that e-mail!

Hmph, I didn't receive this email! Probably a good thing for the lack of panic. But I started to unsubscribe to all of the usual junk I get (topshop, Gap, Pandora etc.) so that I wouldn't get my hopes up when I got an email and now i'm regretting it slightly as I'm constantly having to check if it's still working! lol

So it looks like nothing for me today, maybe tomorrow???? *crossesfingers*

I was going to say even just getting the rejection would be good to put me out of my misery, but that would be a complete lie!
Oh, so hopefully Cambridge are under way? I'm waiting for St Ed's.

At least I have an interview at Lancaster received last few days, so someone is interested! Appears as if Lancaster are intending to interview all those Physics applicants they are considering (not just oldies like me). I was hoping for an unconditional... but will be good to go see the department.

So I should hear from Cambridge and get results of my Oxford admission test next week or so... very scary.

Going from their past form, doubt I will hear from Durham or St Andrews until February :frown:
I'm getting so impatient...! It's a month ago that I applied and I want to hear sooo much, I'm being impatient as I have an offer from my fifth choice but it just makes you want more! UGH, Bristol, Oxford, Sheffield, Exeter.. Be quicker.. please :/ !!!
my further UCAS Update my form has been processed should get a welcome letter soon and then the waiting game begins.There are some Access students in my group who applied just over a month ago and they have already been invited for interviews for their chosen degrees
Best of Luck to everyone whos applying for next year :smile:
Original post by Elle408
My email has beeped at me twice today and my heart has started pounding! lol So far, nothing.

It's my one month UCAS anniversary today! lol One whole entire month of obsessive email checking and track stalking! :birthday:

Be patience Elle408 I am sure u will hear something soon,at the moment your application form could be in someones e-mail inbox or tray waiting to be considered etc.I have found speaking to others from last year that not all universities will contact u at the same time,so some will probably reply faster than others.Wish you all the best in your studies and university applications Elle408 :smile:
I didn't know being 21 made you a mature student, so I guess as I'll be 21 when I hopefully start uni, I'm considered mature.. although I'm sure I know a few people that would deny my maturity :P

Im studing Access to Humanities at the moment, which is English Lit, Geography and History.
I'm applying to do Education but as a combined.
My first choice is Cardiff University.. Education & Criminology
And then I'm applying for Educational Studies and Early Childhood Studies in UWIC and Early Years Development and Education in the University of Glamorgan.

Anyone else applying for any of these Universities?! :smile:

Still haven't submitted my UCAS yet either, Personal Statement is the bain of my existance at the moment!! haha
Reply 228
Original post by danielleelizabethx
I didn't know being 21 made you a mature student, so I guess as I'll be 21 when I hopefully start uni, I'm considered mature.. although I'm sure I know a few people that would deny my maturity :P

Im studing Access to Humanities at the moment, which is English Lit, Geography and History.
I'm applying to do Education but as a combined.
My first choice is Cardiff University.. Education & Criminology
And then I'm applying for Educational Studies and Early Childhood Studies in UWIC and Early Years Development and Education in the University of Glamorgan.

Anyone else applying for any of these Universities?! :smile:

Still haven't submitted my UCAS yet either, Personal Statement is the bain of my existance at the moment!! haha

I am also 21 but will be 22 when I start Uni. I have also applied to Cardiff but to do Computer Science, no reply yet though!
Reply 229
Original post by Elle408

I've been so focused on Cambridge that I have barely given a second thought to my other choices, but I popped in to London yesterday for dinner with friends and having spent the evening in Covent Garden with a stroll down the Strand, I really want KCL too... Like, really really badly.

I am on the same boat. I have been focusing so much on Cambridge I haven't really thought about submitting documents for other schools.

I also applied to read law at Hughes. Still nothing and I hear the interviews abroad are earlier than ones at Cambridge. I am checking my email all the time... but I guess no news is still better than rejection. :frown:
Reply 230
Original post by jaekco
I am on the same boat. I have been focusing so much on Cambridge I haven't really thought about submitting documents for other schools.

I also applied to read law at Hughes. Still nothing and I hear the interviews abroad are earlier than ones at Cambridge. I am checking my email all the time... but I guess no news is still better than rejection. :frown:

Did you ask to be interviewed in Canada? I thought they were earlier too? But, like you said, no news is good news at this point! It very well might be that you'll get your invitation this week with an interview at the beginning of Dec, whereas the home interviews last year were mid-Dec?? I don't know, i'm just wildly speculating now! (Which is unfortunately a running theme at the moment...)

I literally spend ages thinking; well, if the invites go out this week, for a Dec 16th interview, theoretically that gives me a month to reread everything in my PS. Then, if it is Dec 16th, theoretically that means we only have 3 weeks to wait to find out if we actually got accepted, which is very reasonable. In theory. I'm sure i'll spend the entire holiday season fretting over every thing I said and did during the interview... should I actually get one.

My brain needs to be quiet now.
Reply 231
Original post by Elle408
Did you ask to be interviewed in Canada? I thought they were earlier too? But, like you said, no news is good news at this point! It very well might be that you'll get your invitation this week with an interview at the beginning of Dec, whereas the home interviews last year were mid-Dec?? I don't know, i'm just wildly speculating now! (Which is unfortunately a running theme at the moment...)

I literally spend ages thinking; well, if the invites go out this week, for a Dec 16th interview, theoretically that gives me a month to reread everything in my PS. Then, if it is Dec 16th, theoretically that means we only have 3 weeks to wait to find out if we actually got accepted, which is very reasonable. In theory. I'm sure i'll spend the entire holiday season fretting over every thing I said and did during the interview... should I actually get one.

My brain needs to be quiet now.

Yeah, I aksed to be interviewed in Canada. I heard a rumor that the dates for Canadian interviews are from November 28th and on for three days. It's only two weeks away and it is cutting way too close!! Argh!!

My thought process right now is that I get an invite by this week (or rejection then nothing more to do), buy ticket to go to Toronto, where the interviews are held (I am from Vancouver), and in 9 days or so till the interview, read over my PS and all other bits as well as notes from my previous law courses (nothing major a couple of introductory courses, which were requirements for my other degrees).

My brain also needs a break from this law school admission thing. :smile:

hahah I got the same email. UCAS seriously needs to stop trying to give me a heart attack.
Original post by Karm
I am also 21 but will be 22 when I start Uni. I have also applied to Cardiff but to do Computer Science, no reply yet though!

Ooh that's cool, I'll be nearly 22 when I get there :smile:
You gonna be moving to Cardiff then?
Good luck with your application! Computer Science sounds fun! :biggrin:
Reply 234
Original post by danielleelizabethx
Ooh that's cool, I'll be nearly 22 when I get there :smile:
You gonna be moving to Cardiff then?
Good luck with your application! Computer Science sounds fun! :biggrin:

It depends on what offers I get! If Cardiff ends up being my firm then yes I would move there :smile:

On a related note....

Had a letter through my door today, Cardiff have invited me for an interview on the 14th December! :biggrin: First time I will have been to Wales for about 10 years!
Reply 235
Original post by Karm
It depends on what offers I get! If Cardiff ends up being my firm then yes I would move there :smile:

On a related note....

Had a letter through my door today, Cardiff have invited me for an interview on the 14th December! :biggrin: First time I will have been to Wales for about 10 years!

Good luck and well done! :smile: Cardiff is lovely!

Got an email from Kings about my application, and was promptly a little bit sick in my mouth, just to be a confirmation that they are indeed considering my application! I started trying to read between the lines, as they were telling us to look through the uni iKings website to find out what life is like there, so surely that means I have a good chance? But alas, the email really is just a 'hang on, we're nearly there!' thing. I am however going to rejoice at the fact that it's not an outright rejection!
Just got a letter from St Edmunds, Cambridge. I was so excited!!!!

Rejected without interview. :frown:
Reply 237
Are you from the UK? Surprised that they didn't send out an email. What's your score like?
Original post by clindk
Are you from the UK? Surprised that they didn't send out an email. What's your score like?

Yes I am.

Have an A* in Maths A Level, and an A in Physics; Have A in the AS units of Further Maths...

So I'm a bit disappointed. I didn't really want to go there, my real wish is Oxford, and would be very happy with Lancaster/St Andrews/Durham too; now I'm wondering if my application is any good though, since I thought Cambridge interviewed quite a high proportion of applicants.
Reply 239
Hmm. Have you passed the 21 years old threshold? Barely?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending