The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Bsc Economics and Statistics/ Statistics, Economics and Finance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Alpha5
Yeah I know what you mean. I did mention a decent part of mathmatics and applying this to risk managment ect.
But which would you say is better for a career in financial trading (ST) . Accounting and Finance at LSE or UCL Stats, eco, and Finance ? Note that the LSE course is more mathmatical than normal.

They're probably equal. LSE has the better reputation (although UCL's is still fantastic), obviously both have the location factor playing well for them, but one may argue that UCL's course content is slightly more relevant.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by joshgoldman
I'm not too sure really, I wouldn't expect so, as it's just a departmental open day, so I shouldn't think they would require EU applicants to travel especially for it, when it isn't even an interview. I'll swap you your MMORSE offer for this? :biggrin:

Oh...I see what you did there.:colone:

So you're a MMORSE applicant as well heh? We got a lot in common then (at least two choices) What are your other options and order of preference please :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by freakonomist
Oh...I see what you did there.:colone:

So you're a MMORSE applicant as well heh? We got a lot in common then (at least two choices) What are your other options and order of preference please :biggrin:

It's in my sig, but apparently people can't see my sig for some reason..

1. MMORSE
2. Stats with finance (LSE)
3. Accounting and finance (Warwick - offer)
4. Stats Econ and Finance
5. Financial Maths (nottingham)

It sounds crazy that UCL is so low down, but I find it so hard ordering them (with the exception of Nottingham).
That list changes pretty much every day. There is literally no difference to me between 1. and 4. in terms of preference haha.
It's in my sig, but apparently people can't see my sig for some reason..

1. MMORSE
2. Stats with finance (LSE)
3. Accounting and finance (Warwick - offer)
4. Stats Econ and Finance
5. Financial Maths (nottingham)

It sounds crazy that UCL is so low down, but I find it so hard ordering them (with the exception of Nottingham).
That list changes pretty much every day. There is literally no difference to me between 1. and 4. in terms of preference haha.

I didn't even know you can have 'sigs' on this site...I'm such a noob. :colondollar:

I'll help you with that...You're not going to firm Nottingham no matter what(insurance), you wait for your UCL offer to pop on track and then give it to me, you want to go to university and won't settle for some 'School'. If Warwick give you MMORSE you take it, if not you still have your Accounting and Finance offer from Warwick to firm. <3
Reply 44
I applied for Econ and stat :frown: but i didnt mention any stat on my ps.my ps is about econ and maths. do u think that matters alot ? argh i hvnt heard anything from ucl yet... except from sending my ums score..
I don't think it matters too much but ofcourse, depends on the competition. What grades did you get :smile: ? What's your prediction?
Reply 46
I didn't even know you can have 'sigs' on this site...I'm such a noob. :colondollar:

I'll help you with that...You're not going to firm Nottingham no matter what(insurance), you wait for your UCL offer to pop on track and then give it to me, you want to go to university and won't settle for some 'School'. If Warwick give you MMORSE you take it, if not you still have your Accounting and Finance offer from Warwick to firm. &lt;3

Haha good plan! The 'School' happens to have a rather good reputation though.. I'm not even going to put Nottingham as insurance, UCL will be an AAA offer, and the others are all A*AA, so that's that sorted.
Haha good plan! The 'School' happens to have a rather good reputation though.. I'm not even going to put Nottingham as insurance, UCL will be an AAA offer, and the others are all A*AA, so that's that sorted.

That's funny, for my qualification the requirements raise in this order:

Edinburgh<=LSE<Cambridge<Warwick<UCL (they ask for a 10, which is a perfect score, in the maths paper, which is a three hour examination of the syllabus of 4 years of study, the equivalent of A-Level Maths and Further Maths )

Plus, Oxford requires the same range of grades as Essex, for example
Reply 49
That's funny, for my qualification the requirements raise in this order:

Edinburgh&lt;=LSE&lt;Cambridge&lt;Warwick&lt;UCL (they ask for a 10, which is a perfect score, in the maths paper, which is a three hour examination of the syllabus of 4 years of study, the equivalent of A-Level Maths and Further Maths )

That's nasty! Not 100% sure what LSE's is, haven't been on their site in a while, it's either AAA or A*AA though. For MMORSE I'd be receiving the A*AA/AAA+M(AEA) offer (hoping I get one :P). But yeah, UCL's is AAA if you do FM.
That's nasty! Not 100% sure what LSE's is, haven't been on their site in a while, it's either AAA or A*AA though. For MMORSE I'd be receiving the A*AA/AAA+M(AEA) offer (hoping I get one :P). But yeah, UCL's is AAA if you do FM.

What about STEP? I heard something about a compensation :colone::colone:
Reply 51
What about STEP? I heard something about a compensation :colone::colone:

Yeah a 2 in step would also be offered but I'm not doing step so not really relevant to me! I heard something about £500...
Yeah a 2 in step would also be offered but I'm not doing step so not really relevant to me! I heard something about £500...

That's enough motivation for me to take the exam! As far as I know, you can take any 2 STEP exams every year independently, so you can do it even if your school doesn't offer it, you just need to find a centre...I think I am taking both STEP (I and II) and AEA, just in case.
Reply 53
That's enough motivation for me to take the exam! As far as I know, you can take any 2 STEP exams every year independently, so you can do it even if your school doesn't offer it, you just need to find a centre...I think I am taking both STEP (I and II) and AEA, just in case.

It is available to take in my school, but they don't offer extra lessons or anything, but teachers are happy to help with questions. It's the same for AEA. I've signed up for the AEA tutoring scheme (can't remember who offers it, Edexcel maybe?)
OMG...why does it take them so long? *cries*
So nervous :frown:
Reply 56
OMG...why does it take them so long? *cries*

Original post by neverloggedin
So nervous :frown:

Don't worry, you guys will hear soon, I'm sure of it! I'll let you know if I hear anything interesting at the OD tomorrow!
Reply 57
Don't worry, you guys will hear soon, I'm sure of it! I'll let you know if I hear anything interesting at the OD tomorrow!

how did the open day go?
Reply 58
Original post by Mathssss
how did the open day go?

Was ok thanks. I was the only english born person there! (Apparently the department is around 75% Asian! [not that I am a racist at all, just found it strange..]). There were around 35 people, we got a tour round campus (the main library really is beautiful), free lunch (disgusting), taster lecture (boring), and admissions speech. He said that Economics and Statistics, and Stats, Econ and Finance are more competitive than the others. They usually get around 800 applications to the department, and make around 250 offers, which is a pretty good statistic. He said we will get offers within 2 weeks.
Was ok thanks. I was the only english born person there! (Apparently the department is around 75% Asian! [not that I am a racist at all, just found it strange..]). There were around 35 people, we got a tour round campus (the main library really is beautiful), free lunch (disgusting), taster lecture (boring), and admissions speech. He said that Economics and Statistics, and Stats, Econ and Finance are more competitive than the others. They usually get around 800 applications to the department, and make around 250 offers, which is a pretty good statistic. He said we will get offers within 2 weeks.

tell me more...

Quick Reply

Latest