The Student Room Group

Anyone else have 0 faith in the exam system?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by hardleyouth
TBH I think the exam boards should be nationalised or replaced with one state board or non-profit board.

The profit motive REALLY cannot work here, it financially benefits them to fail people, we pay for resits, we pay for remarks, we pay for photocopies, and we pay high prices for those! They cut costs by cutting corners and risk our futures by doing that!

Maybe we should try to form an alternative idea to the current system's state, and as OP I'll set up a petition or something !

This. Where exams are involded, profit shouldn't be allowed.
Reply 61
TBH I think the exam boards should be nationalised or replaced with one state board or non-profit board.

The profit motive REALLY cannot work here, it financially benefits them to fail people, we pay for resits, we pay for remarks, we pay for photocopies, and we pay high prices for those! They cut costs by cutting corners and risk our futures by doing that!

Maybe we should try to form an alternative idea to the current system's state, and as OP I'll set up a petition or something !

I think CIE should replace all the other exam boards. It's first of all a not-for-profit department of Cambridge. They dont work for profit as they do not use the module system and try to keep costs as low as possible for all applicants. From my experience atleast, people who take the board always get exactly what they deserve. People at my college who worked their ass off always got A/A*'s year after year and the rest well just pass. The funny thing is the ones who just pass always knew it was coming too..they had no problems with the board on results day.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
I despise exam boards, I despise the system of exams, the costs, the lack of information, the fact all the boards do is look to make profit (obviously) but the fact that creeps into negatively effecting so many peoples lives through education disgusts me. All the errors they make for example!!!

However, I have never believed exams require great knowledge, merely technique.

My personal example is AS Business, last year, I failed the second unit (received a U). I couldn't believe it, so I got a remark, and they made it a few marks into a E(Costing upwards of 40 quid...which I never received back!). So obviously, I applied to resit for the January exam period just gone, however because I decided to concentrate on my other subjects, I did ZERO business work all year, I dropped A2 Business right at the start, and I managed to get a high B?

How the hell is that possibly? When revising like a donkey and attending classes I get a U? And then doing no work and remember nothing I blad a high B? It makes absolutely no sense and further deepens my distrust of the exams system and especially AQA as they bear the brunt of my many negative experiences.

Anyone else feel like this or has experience this too!? :confused:

I know what you mean, last year for OCR biology i revised for about 2 weeks and ended up with an E. This year retaking the same exam i got a C with no revision :s.
Exam markers have no idea what they're doing when it comes to creative, essay based subjects as it requires them to use their own brain. I've had to resit exams because their marking is so bad.
Original post by Agenda Suicide
You really have no idea do you?

I do. I take both types of subjects. I know which ones are easier. Please do not tell me that Geography/Business can even compare to complex mathematical theorems, something that your mind could not grasp. I am so sick of people who take easy subjects acting like the sciences are rote-learned rubbish. Utterly untrue. Try it before you say anything mr "you-have-no-idea-I-am-superior-because-I-take-the-easiest-subjects-available". Art is difficult - that is true subjectivity. History certainly ain't. Just copy what they say in the text-books.
Reply 65
While the exam system may not be great, from what I'm reading it does just sound like people are blaming all their exam problems on markers and "unfair" exams.Have you considered that it may actually have been you that was the problem?
After getting my results back last week I have to say that I completely agree that the way in which exams are marked makes no sonse. I spent hours and hours revising for my OCR law exam, learned so many cases and quotes to only get a low B whereas with sociology I did hardly any revision took the exam, and cried after as I thought I had completely failed and got an A. The sciences and maths are fairer in the sense that the marking is very objective, I feel that you can do lots of revision for the sciences and it will make a big difference whereas with the more essay based sujects your actual writing ability is just as important, if not more so then your subject knowledge.
I hate it how to get decent grades and get a job/uni place we have to be taught how to pass exams rather than interesting parts of the subject.

Original post by Nightingale
I despise the UCAS system, so do I fit in this boat?
Applying before having any grades is innacurate and the confusion just adds stress. I feel like gap years are somewhat forced onto applicants.

It was mentioned somewhere on this site a few weeks ago that unis were planning on changing it in the future so you only applied after you'd got your final grade. Which does seem a lot fairer.
Reply 68
Original post by james22
While the exam system may not be great, from what I'm reading it does just sound like people are blaming all their exam problems on markers and "unfair" exams.Have you considered that it may actually have been you that was the problem?

This, the first step to improve is to first acknowledge the fact that you need to improve.
People need to stop looking for a scapegoat, man up and face the problem head on.
Reply 69
There's no bigger example of this than when I sat both AS Business Studies modules at the same time one after the other. My Business unit 2, the harder unit, came back an A. My business unit 1 came back an E. The only thing I can think happened was in my unit 1 the person marking decided my answers did not match the preset list of mark scheme 'valid' answers despite making actual business sense - and this is the problem with a subject like this. In my A2 I studied the mark scheme more than the actual subject and when it came time for the exam I pulled facts and figures out my ass but structured my answer exactly as they wanted, and guess what, I got an A despite what I wrote being absolute garbage in reality.
Reply 70
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
My experience is that only people who get bad grades have no faith in the exam system :erm:

Do your work and you'll get the grades. I don't see the problem.

Spent 3 hours a day for two weeks revising just physics for AS resit...
Went from D -> U...

On the same side of things, I still uphold the argument that Edexcel are absolutely ***** after they managed to miss out on marking a whole page of a friend's physics AS exam.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sweetcorndolly
The sciences and maths are fairer in the sense that the marking is very objective, I feel that you can do lots of revision for the sciences and it will make a big difference whereas with the more essay based sujects your actual writing ability is just as important, if not more so then your subject knowledge.

Yes, the science mark schemes are way more objective, but there are often correct answers to the question that don't appear on the mark scheme at all. Sometimes the mark scheme answers have very little to do with the actual question! (I'm looking at you, AQA Biology)

There's also no educational justification for having more than one exam board. The content can vary so wildly that my desired university course's first module is aimed at getting everyone to the same standard.

And this is kind of going off topic, but I'm sick of hearing that "exams are getting easier" year on year. If the pass rates for exams were to fall for one year, it wouldn't be because exams were finally getting harder... no, the media would just say that teenagers are becoming less intelligent.
Reply 72
Original post by Darkarium
There's no bigger example of this than when I sat both AS Business Studies modules at the same time one after the other. My Business unit 2, the harder unit, came back an A. My business unit 1 came back an E. The only thing I can think happened was in my unit 1 the person marking decided my answers did not match the preset list of mark scheme 'valid' answers despite making actual business sense - and this is the problem with a subject like this. In my A2 I studied the mark scheme more than the actual subject and when it came time for the exam I pulled facts and figures out my ass but structured my answer exactly as they wanted, and guess what, I got an A despite what I wrote being absolute garbage in reality.

Essay subjects are as much about structure as they are about content. Facts and figures give your argument weight, making a statement without backing it up is stupid. Probably the reason you came out with a better grade at A2
Many seem to be blasting the exam system but few have come up with an alternative people also seem to be blaming the system to make up for their own shortcomings.
Reply 74
Original post by Super Mario 64

Also I completely agree. The majority of us spend our entire lives in education from around the age of 5, and whilst it may be compulsory, it's definitely demanding, stressful, irritating at times and requires a lot of hard work. The least we can expect up to this point is for examiners to mark our damn papers properly.

I have a feeling that the examiners own perspectives on the answers given the exam papers may affect the grade e.g. a politics student may get marked down for being pro-Labour when the examiner is pro-Conservative. As well as this, I bet the examiners own lives have an impact on the paper e.g. stressful events, family problems and social problems.

I agree that it is annoying when papers aren't marked properly but, honestly, it is a little ignorant to expect that you are owed something for the work you put in to your own education, which benefits you at the end of the day. It might just be the way you worded it but it half sounds as if you would prefer that education wasn't taking up such a large amount of time and effort in your precious life.

I wish people would remember that they are very privileged to have a free education up to 18 at all. Sure the system is flawed in some ways but it's a damn site better than a lot of places!

(Also... examiners are human too!)
(edited 12 years ago)

Yes!
Original post by jennifex
I agree that it is annoying when papers aren't marked properly but, honestly, it is a little ignorant to expect that you are owed something for the work you put in to your own education, which benefits you at the end of the day. It might just be the way you worded it but it half sounds as if you would prefer that education wasn't taking up such a large amount of time and effort in your precious life.

I wish people would remember that they are very privileged to have a free education up to 18 at all. Sure the system is flawed in some ways but it's a damn site better than a lot of places!

(Also... examiners are human too!)

Hmm my dear but it is not free! We shall pay soon...
In some ways this system is harming us. I am not grateful for it, sorry.
Reply 77
Original post by Super Mario 64
Also I completely agree. The majority of us spend our entire lives in education from around the age of 5, and whilst it may be compulsory, it's definitely demanding, stressful, irritating at times and requires a lot of hard work. The least we can expect up to this point is for examiners to mark our damn papers properly.

I have a feeling that the examiners own perspectives on the answers given the exam papers may affect the grade e.g. a politics student may get marked down for being pro-Labour when the examiner is pro-Conservative. As well as this, I bet the examiners own lives have an impact on the paper e.g. stressful events, family problems and social problems.

This may all sound stupid and I may even be wrong, but until someone actually proves me wrong, it's definitely a thought worth thinking about.

Give the examiners a break, they mark hundred of papers, mistakes are inevitable they are human are they not? They are supervised through the whole process but some will always slip through. There is no system that is flawless.

You just criticise and haven't even bothered to suggest an alternative.

In subjects like politics and economics where the chances of examiners having a personal view on the subject is very likely.

It is irrelevant, you will get the mark if you can back up any claims you make, that is why in subjects like those evaluations, conclusions and backing statements up with evidence is so important.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you think about it, the whole thing is pretty ridiculous.

You spend a whole year learning HOW the examiner wants you to write an essay and try to remember a load of stuff.

You are then tested on how well you can remember this at the end of the year, and if you do well, you will most likely accept your grade and then have fun forgetting it all.

It is basically just one big memory test.

And my memory is appalling so, sucks to be me :smile:
Original post by ShredMaster
I do. I take both types of subjects. I know which ones are easier. Please do not tell me that Geography/Business can even compare to complex mathematical theorems, something that your mind could not grasp. I am so sick of people who take easy subjects acting like the sciences are rote-learned rubbish. Utterly untrue. Try it before you say anything mr "you-have-no-idea-I-am-superior-because-I-take-the-easiest-subjects-available". Art is difficult - that is true subjectivity. History certainly ain't. Just copy what they say in the text-books.

Do you really take History? Because the textbook is a shambles and if we relied on that we'd barely pass. Oh I know a History A grade is not worth much....but hoop jumping does take some work if you're not naturally inclined to it...square peg, round hole etc.
I get what you're saying (I take languages- huge joke), but English/History etc are not straightforward.

Quick Reply

Latest