The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Hunger Games set out straight away what it was and why you should go see it in the trailer. So people went and saw it. Exactly the opposite of what John Carter did.

The action and story unfold in 88 minutes and the film is meant to look like one continuous shot. Like other works that seem to be one long take, “Silent House” does have edits but they’re not visible to the average viewer. To pull that off, Mr. Kentis and Ms. Lau needed to do some extensive planning. They talked about the process during a recent interview in New York. First there was Ms. Lau’s script, which imagined a house before an actual location was chosen. When a house near the water in New Rochelle, N.Y., was found, Ms. Lau rewrote to match the setting. “Every moment was accounted for in the script, which was only 60 pages,” she said. “And then it was about constantly rehearsing.”

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/08/building-silent-house/?ref=movies

Sounds very interesting.
Sounds like Rope.
Going to see The Hunger Games with someone on Friday. I hear Wrath of the Titans actually has Titans in it though. In terms of other releases, another film which has been under the radar is 21 Jump Street. It's been getting some good reviews (85% on RT and 91% of the audience liked it). Never heard about the film before now.
Man, I can't wait to watch 21 Jump Street :daydreaming:

Dave Franco is really annoying, though...
Reply 5905
Watched In Darkness yesterday, thought it was fantastic. :yep:
The Usual Suspects is one brilliant film :smile:
Apparently Dieter Laser can no longer 'identify' with the mad scientist who creates ass-to-mouth abominations:

http://www.chud.com/88479/lol-dieter-laser-departs-human-centipede-3-tom-six-promises-to-sue/
The Hunger Games was okay. I think it suffered a lot from the 12 rating, shaky camera work and constant switches to the Capitol to fill viewers in on what was going on.
Reply 5909
Just got back from watching Once Upon in Anatolia, and thought it was brilliant. Not sure how it didn't get nominated for a Best Foreign Film Oscar; I suppose I'll have to watch the other films that did get nominated to comment, though.

On that note, having watched In Darkness, I wondered: how is it that certain artsy and slow-moving foreign films do get Oscar nominations, while films eligible for Best Picture tend to be overlooked? Are there different sets of voters that decide the two categories?
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
The Hunger Games was okay. I think it suffered a lot from the 12 rating, shaky camera work and constant switches to the Capitol to fill viewers in on what was going on.

Apparently to get it to a 12 rating they only cut 7 seconds of footage out from the version that was rated 15.

IDK whether that's true or not though.
I must be one of the only people in the world,who hadn't heard of the hunger games books and had only seen the advert on at the cinemas,which looked quite good but i have seen a lot better movie trailer so nothing too special.
The Hunger Games could have been excellent, instead it was a bit meh. For me it didn't have a natural flow to it and felt rather disjointed at parts. Also I thought that the charater depth was limited and no where near enough to invoke the right amount of sympathy from the audience which is ridiculous since the film was over 2 hours long. Still fun to watch though.

On another note, this looks really interesting especially since it's written by Joss Whedon :biggrin:

Also: Hobbit forming - will Peter Jackson give Tolkien's story a new ending?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/jan/06/the-hobbit-peter-jackson-ending
:/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Also I thought that the charater depth was limited and no where near enough to invoke the right amount of sympathy from the audience which is ridiculous since the film was over 2 hours long.

I don't believe that good characterisation needs time or is necessarily improved (or to be expected of) by how long a film is. Carnage has some of the best characterisation I've ever seen, and that's only 80 minutes long.
Original post by Phalanges
I don't believe that good characterisation needs time or is necessarily improved (or to be expected of) by how long a film is. Carnage has some of the best characterisation I've ever seen, and that's only 80 minutes long.

Perhaps a bit of context will help explain what I meant:
When I talk about lack of character development in The Hunger Games, I usually get the response that there isn't sufficient time to have satisfactory character development whilst still retaining the action of the film. I don't agree with this and think that 2 hours is more than sufficient to include both.
Tbh, everything that a film should have can be done in 90 minutes.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

It was a 12? That would explain why it was way less visceral than I was expecting (given that all I knew about it going in was that it's a 'rip off of Battle Royale').
Reply 5917
Going to watch Shame today. :excited: Cannot wait, I've been following this from pre-production. :drool:
Original post by Abiraleft
Going to watch Shame today. :excited: Cannot wait, I've been following this from pre-production. :drool:

Good April fool. We all know that you're really going to go and watch Street Dance 2 3D.
Reply 5919
Original post by Phalanges
Good April fool. We all know that you're really going to go and watch Street Dance 2 3D.

I thought I could get away with it too. :getmecoat:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending