The Student Room Group

BM4 Graduate Entry Medicine - University of Southampton - 2012

Just wondered who had firmed Southampton's BM4 Graduate Entry Medicine for 2012 entry?

I really enjoyed the open day, loved everything about it and can't wait to get started now!
I couldn't make it to the Open Day. What did you do/see/learn? Is there anything you can share with the rest of us?
Thanks!
I firmed too. Couldn't make the admission day (couldn't get the day off work), but would love to hear about it. Also, did they say anything about applying for funding? I'm always absolutely confused by it.
Reply 3
Original post by beinghopeful
I couldn't make it to the Open Day. What did you do/see/learn? Is there anything you can share with the rest of us?
Thanks!

Original post by verbatimhalo
I firmed too. Couldn't make the admission day (couldn't get the day off work), but would love to hear about it. Also, did they say anything about applying for funding? I'm always absolutely confused by it.

Hi guys, sorry for the delay - I didn't know you'd replied to this!

It was actually really informative, we were given an overview of how each year is assessed and the timetable we can expect for the first year. To summarise;

In the first year we have 4 written assessments, each of 3000 words each. Two are patient reports - we will be given a patient, have to explain the symptoms they are presenting with, examinations we would carry out, suggested treatment and so on. Two are also in-depth essays - about a condition.

We have OSCE's which are the practical assesments at the end of the first year and there will also be a written examination at the end of the first year which is multiple choice.

In the second year it is very similar except we will only have 1 patient report to do.

The time table is roughly:

Monday AM: meet in graduate groups, introduced to topic for that week e.g. heart failure, diabetes which all lectures, placements etc. will be based on that week. This lasts about 1.5 hours. We are also each given a topic to research that week.

Monday PM: half the year group will go on to a GP placement, the other half get the afternoon off.

Tuesday AM: all meet at Winchester Hospital for the clinical work there

Tuesday PM: those that did the GP placement on Monday have the afternoon off, the rest stay on at the hospital all day

Wednesday AM: lecture

Wednesday PM: afternoon off

Thursday AM: lecture

Thursday PM: practicals/dissection

Friday AM: meet in grad groups again and each present what you went off to research

Friday PM: introduction to following week and then afternoon off

Had the opportunity to speak with current students etc. It was all very interesting.

The hospital was really interesting, learnt about what we will do there. It was all really great.

Any questions just quote me so I know you have replied and I will get back to you :smile:
Original post by LexxieK
Hi guys, sorry for the delay - I didn't know you'd replied to this!

Thanks Lexxie. I'm waiting to hear back from Nottingham GEM (two weeks to go) then I will be firming one or the other. Looks like there are quite a few afternoons off - and I think the academic year is only 30 weeks for the first two years (compared to 40+ at other places). There must be a lot of self-study during the week and in holidays!

Do people live in Southampton or Winchester? What did the current students say about the course?
Reply 5
Thanks Lexxie. I'm waiting to hear back from Nottingham GEM (two weeks to go) then I will be firming one or the other. Looks like there are quite a few afternoons off - and I think the academic year is only 30 weeks for the first two years (compared to 40+ at other places). There must be a lot of self-study during the week and in holidays!

Do people live in Southampton or Winchester? What did the current students say about the course?

Hey! Students lived in Southampton, most lectures are here apart from the one day at Winchester Hospital. I would say Southampton is better and also cheaper. I am local to the area so know it fairly well if you need any advice about where to live and where not to live :smile:

30 weeks first and second year is correct. 4 month summer holidays, ah bliss haha.

They said there is lots of independent study on the BM4 compared to BM5.

I am really excited now :smile:
Original post by LexxieK
Hey! Students lived in Southampton, most lectures are here apart from the one day at Winchester Hospital. I would say Southampton is better and also cheaper. I am local to the area so know it fairly well if you need any advice about where to live and where not to live :smile:

30 weeks first and second year is correct. 4 month summer holidays, ah bliss haha.

They said there is lots of independent study on the BM4 compared to BM5.

I am really excited now :smile:

Well I've finally firmed Southampton. What preparation are you doing for the course? Where would you recommend living? Is the area around the medical school nice to live in?! Still another three months to go!
Reply 7
Well I've finally firmed Southampton. What preparation are you doing for the course? Where would you recommend living? Is the area around the medical school nice to live in?! Still another three months to go!

What reading are you doing this summer?
I haven't got any plans yet. Just learning some of the Latin and Greek terms used in medicine and if an illness is mentioned in the news I'll read up about it.
I'm working until the end of August then will have September to find somewhere to live and do some preparation (if they say that we need to do any).
Most people seem to advise just enjoying the summer before all the hard work starts!
Reply 9
I haven't got any plans yet. Just learning some of the Latin and Greek terms used in medicine and if an illness is mentioned in the news I'll read up about it.
I'm working until the end of August then will have September to find somewhere to live and do some preparation (if they say that we need to do any).
Most people seem to advise just enjoying the summer before all the hard work starts!

Hey you're probably right! I got the reading list so have bought a few books and will try bring myself up to speed on the respiratory system as that is what we focus on in semester one.

Are you local to Southampton? I CANNOT WAIT NOW :smile:
Reply 10
Looking forward to starting in October!! Where did u find the reading list?? Will give me something to do after I leave my job!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Can I ask what kind of UKCAT scores you guys and girls got last year? A technical error cost me on AR/DA and reduced my average massively. I'm over the supposed 2400 cut-off from previous years, but was that just for BM5/6 and not the GEM course? I have no idea if I should bother applying or not, or if my experience is good enough for a university which doesn't interview!
Reply 12
I think I read that the cut off was 2500 this year - but that may be me remembering incorrectly!

Original post by AnnaG29
I think I read that the cut off was 2500 this year - but that may be me remembering incorrectly!

Yep you're right :P

Original post by MattKneale
Can I ask what kind of UKCAT scores you guys and girls got last year? A technical error cost me on AR/DA and reduced my average massively. I'm over the supposed 2400 cut-off from previous years, but was that just for BM5/6 and not the GEM course? I have no idea if I should bother applying or not, or if my experience is good enough for a university which doesn't interview!

Yeah, the uKCAT is now 2500 (going up next year) and I think that is for BM4/5 (BM6 doesn't use it).

As long as you have learnt from your experiences then it's fine. That's what is key for a Soton PS. :smile:

Quick Reply