The Student Room Group

Mature Students Applying for University 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by evening sunrise
Excellent stuff. My tip is read the instructions carefully. My first PS draft was 4000 words Doh. I think subconsciously I ignored the word character because i assumed this cannot be based upon only 4000 characters including spaces, and so read what I thought should be there..

many thanks, sunrise! you make a good point too, cos there were a number of ppl that got caught out with that one on my course as well. i was fortunate in that i used the PS help section here an got all the pertinent advice i needed to help me along.

*so to add - do use that resource on this forum, cos it's that which brought me here and it proved invaluable, and i hope it does the same for those to come :smile:

you awrite btw, sunrise? not been here cept in passing lately, so not had chance to post much. way too much work and the stress of waiting for a place was killing me, so i was concentrating on staying sane lol...

not long now, eh?:biggrin: - am looking forward to it but, dreading the four years of hard work ahead!
bet u can't wait, cos your wait will have been even longer! :smile:
Original post by ashtoreth
many thanks, sunrise! you make a good point too, cos there were a number of ppl that got caught out with that one on my course as well. i was fortunate in that i used the PS help section here an got all the pertinent advice i needed to help me along.

*so to add - do use that resource on this forum, cos it's that which brought me here and it proved invaluable, and i hope it does the same for those to come :smile:

you awrite btw, sunrise? not been here cept in passing lately, so not had chance to post much. way too much work and the stress of waiting for a place was killing me, so i was concentrating on staying sane lol...

not long now, eh?:biggrin: - am looking forward to it but, dreading the four years of hard work ahead!
bet u can't wait, cos your wait will have been even longer! :smile:

I am fine thankyou. Not been on much myself, been out shooting with the cameras as the weather has been good.

Yep the wait is a pain. Still over 5 months to go, as I do not start until October. Will move up once the kids have finshed for the summer holidays. Sorting college out for the eldest at the moment. plus praying that SFE don't lose our kids birth certificates or our marrage certificate. Missus starts beginning of the third week of September, I have shorter terms each year :biggrin:

When do the access courses finish ? Do you get the results quickly ?

Hacked my way through silicate geochemistry, made me feel quite ill lol.

Edit: The hardwork ahead is an interesting point after 30 years of work I am looking forward to doing something I have been and still am really interested in for 3 years (hopefully 6) I don't think of it as going to study I think of it as going to do archaeology and get into some real detail on the various stoneage periods and the scientific methods, should be a dam good crack. Studying will not be some kind of outside element in the way work can be, it will simply be what I do, a great reason for getting up for the next three years.

Congrats on the offers.
(edited 11 years ago)
i was fortunate in that i used the PS help section here an got all the pertinent advice i needed to help me along.

I suffer from manualphobia....
I am fine thankyou. Not been on much myself, been out shooting with the cameras as the weather has been good.

Yep the wait is a pain. Still over 5 months to go, as I do not start until October. Will move up once the kids have finshed for the summer holidays. Sorting college out for the eldest at the moment. plus praying that SFE don't lose our kids birth certificates or our marrage certificate. Missus starts beginning of the third week of September, I have shorter terms each year :biggrin:

When do the access courses finish ? Do you get the results quickly ?

Hacked my way through silicate geochemistry, made me feel quite ill lol.

Edit: The hardwork ahead is an interesting point after 30 years of work I am looking forward to doing something I have been and still am really interested in for 3 years (hopefully 6) I don't think of it as going to study I think of it as going to do archaeology and get into some real detail on the various stoneage periods and the scientific methods, should be a dam good crack. Studying will not be some kind of outside element in the way work can be, it will simply be what I do, a great reason for getting up for the next three years.

Congrats on the offers.

guessed that the wait would be harder on u as u have not had formal studies and deadlines (ugh!) to worry about, tho it needs to be said that i prefer what i've had to suffer than suffer some of your reading material :colone:

really need to sort sfe out - MUST do that asap. kick me if i haven't done it by the next time u see me pls:redface:

course finishes in july but, only 4 more teaching weeks left. then is just a case of submitting outstanding assignments. results/certs come in Aug but, pending on how u are doing, most should have a reasonable idea as to grades/what to expect when the certs come.

the difference between your circs and most others is in the fact that u are studying for the pleasure of learning and increasing depth of knowledge. you've had a respectable career and are happy with where u are at. i envy your position :smile:

for me it will be hard work because i want a minimum of a 2.1 cos i plan a postgrad in social policy and management/or similar and, because this course is a chance to fix my life and finally call a halt to coasting. hence the beauty of doing a social work degree. i could study in a shed so long as it delivers an accredited course, and still get a job after qualifying.
however, i'm dreadfully lazy so not looking forward to the work i'll have to do to ensure the 2.1 lol

in saying that, anything that requires moving my lazy bum = hard work :biggrin:
I suffer from manualphobia....

side effect of being a man, no doubt...
Reply 1025
Got an unofficial offer from UCL :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:which was my first choice

I hope everyone here gets on offer from their top choice!!!!!!!
Reply 1026
Got an unofficial offer from UCL :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:which was my first choice

guessed that the wait would be harder on u as u have not had formal studies and deadlines (ugh!) to worry about, tho it needs to be said that i prefer what i've had to suffer than suffer some of your reading material :colone:

really need to sort sfe out - MUST do that asap. kick me if i haven't done it by the next time u see me pls:redface:

course finishes in july but, only 4 more teaching weeks left. then is just a case of submitting outstanding assignments. results/certs come in Aug but, pending on how u are doing, most should have a reasonable idea as to grades/what to expect when the certs come.

the difference between your circs and most others is in the fact that u are studying for the pleasure of learning and increasing depth of knowledge. you've had a respectable career and are happy with where u are at. i envy your position :smile:

for me it will be hard work because i want a minimum of a 2.1 cos i plan a postgrad in social policy and management/or similar and, because this course is a chance to fix my life and finally call a halt to coasting. hence the beauty of doing a social work degree. i could study in a shed so long as it delivers an accredited course, and still get a job after qualifying.
however, i'm dreadfully lazy so not looking forward to the work i'll have to do to ensure the 2.1 lol

in saying that, anything that requires moving my lazy bum = hard work :biggrin:

I often studied (when doing the OU) in a tent whilst camped out carp fishing for the weekend, but then I have also done conference calls for work standing in the middle of a river in chest waders, phone stuffed down the front, fly fishing for salmon. You do what you have to do where you have to do it.

I understand what you mean, we intend to do post grad, our psychological position and it also our position with friends and family, is that we are going for 6/7 years. If we come back after 3 years we have fecked up or to quote from The Mummy "had a very very very good time". :biggrin: Due to age I don't really want to do a masters, so I hope I can do a blinding 3rd year dissertation and go straight to Phd like one used to be able to do. My wife is quite content to do the masters year and then Phd.
I used to be a county chess player, so I intend to brush off a large quantity of dust and get onto the Uni team.

After that....who knows, retirement, bit of parttime teaching / tutoring and I will probably go for my Associateship of the Royal Photographic Society (ARPS.)

After that.........I have no idea and I dont give a No 2.
Original post by cmk

Congratulations.
Reply 1029
I just firmed Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama after horrible months of indecision.
Im going to Cardiff! And Im so so happy.

Celebrated finally making up my mind by booking a trip to Stonehenge and Bath this weekend. And making brownies.

Now cant wait for Access and the summer holiday to finish.
Odd, think its the first time ever Ive been looking forward to the holidays to finish and not to start!
Original post by game well and truly over
Just got a letter from St Edmunds, Cambridge. I was so excited!!!!

Rejected without interview. :frown:

Probably cos you're black.
Hello everyone :smile:

New member, second ever post. Congrats everyone on your decisions to go back to education and all offers received/accepted.

Is anybody starting at Sussex for September 2012? I have just firm accepted a conditional offer from them and hope I've made the right choice, I feel a bit uncertain but that's probably just a doubting mind, I expect it will turn out to be the right way to go. Insurance choice Royal Holloway. I'm currently on an Access course doing Biology and Chemistry. One of the best things I've ever done, got so much out of this year and feel more confident.

I'm 25, not old as mature students go, but my course (Geography BSc) is not one many older people apply for like health care qualifications, so I felt a bit out of place on admissions day!
Reply 1032
Original post by greengloves

New member, second ever post. Congrats everyone on your decisions to go back to education and all offers received/accepted.

Is anybody starting at Sussex for September 2012? I have just firm accepted a conditional offer from them and hope I've made the right choice, I feel a bit uncertain but that's probably just a doubting mind, I expect it will turn out to be the right way to go. Insurance choice Royal Holloway. I'm currently on an Access course doing Biology and Chemistry. One of the best things I've ever done, got so much out of this year and feel more confident.

I'm 25, not old as mature students go, but my course (Geography BSc) is not one many older people apply for like health care qualifications, so I felt a bit out of place on admissions day!

Congratulations on your offer/firm. I am going to your insurance choice, Royal Holloway, to do Psychology. Like you not too many mature students on my course. I agree completely about the Access course, although I will be pleased to be able to breath when its over (in just over a month) I will miss the course itself, and the tutors.

Will you be staying in halls?
Original post by greengloves

Hi! I am also 25 and starting at Sussex in September!! I'm doing Sociology and Cultural studies and I too, felt out of place on admissions day on Saturday. But that was to be expected I guess. I loved the place though, and am SO excited!!
Original post by Soule
Congratulations on your offer/firm. I am going to your insurance choice, Royal Holloway, to do Psychology. Like you not too many mature students on my course. I agree completely about the Access course, although I will be pleased to be able to breath when its over (in just over a month) I will miss the course itself, and the tutors.

Thanks :smile: Well done, Royal Holloway looked like a brilliant place, and I think its psychology department has a particularly good rep. Same here, regarding the access course, we've ended up with half of the biology units left to produce in the last four weeks of the course, which is ridiculous, and it will feel such a relief and accomplishment to finish the work but I'll miss the people, I wish we were all going on to the next step together instead of being scattered to far-flung places, haha. What subjects does your access course involve? Good luck for these last few weeks!

I am hoping to live in halls on campus in the first year, I think it will be easiest to settle in that way and luckily Sussex has so much on campus accommodation pretty much all first years who want it can get it. And there's the possibility of asking for a quiet flat or a mature student flat. What are you doing for housing?
Original post by Ocean_Rox
Hi! I am also 25 and starting at Sussex in September!! I'm doing Sociology and Cultural studies and I too, felt out of place on admissions day on Saturday. But that was to be expected I guess. I loved the place though, and am SO excited!!

Oh, amazing! Maybe we'll be seeing each other around then :smile: Maybe we already crossed paths on Saturday? You're right, it does look like a fantastic place, and I liked the community feel of having everything together on campus. Eee, not long till we're there for real now! The obviousness of the age difference will probably melt away after a while. I do feel a bit of a responsibility to be a guidance and nurturing figure to the younger ones who are away from home for the first time tho, which will be weird because I'm usually the baby of the bunch, at work, in my family, etc. Have you applied for accommodation yet?
Reply 1036
Just firmed Aberty and insuranced Greenwich for Forensic Science. Getting excited over here now. :biggrin:
Original post by Soule

Damn smart friend of mine went to Royal Holloway, he did a master's there too, and he absolutely loved his time there.
Reply 1038
Original post by razorfin
Damn smart friend of mine went to Royal Holloway, he did a master's there too, and he absolutely loved his time there.

What did he study? I have been drawn to the uni all year, and when I went to the open day, it was just how I imagined it, really can't wait to get there. A little scared as will be in Halls of residence, but really looking forward to it.
Original post by Soule
What did he study? I have been drawn to the uni all year, and when I went to the open day, it was just how I imagined it, really can't wait to get there. A little scared as will be in Halls of residence, but really looking forward to it.

Computer Science.

Place looks a bit Hogwartesque, very pleasing on the eye.

Quick Reply