The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NB_ide
A simplified model is a common tool to start working towards some kind of plan or understanding of an issue. If you're not willing to undertake the process then we'll have to just sit here and keep saying how disgusting the OP's house is and offer no realistic solution.

The OP's kitchen being in such a dire state doesn't make obvious the solution to her conflict with her housemates. If you really want to include the idea that my hypothetical bathroom in its dirtiest state would be a health hazard then please go ahead, and answer the question based on that. How should it be cleaned, by whom, how often, and to whose standards?

Your simplified model was bereft of the key factor - uncleanliness to the point of a health risk - hence why I added it for you. My answer is "the lowest common denominator that doesn't leave the place in a state of squalor such that it poses a health risk". A and Z need not stand over the rubbish bag demanding that the other adhere to their own standard. They can compromise by sticking to R, the reasonable standard, which is set, minimally, above the threshold for first-world sanitation. Setting the bar higher is possible with consensus, but no lack of consensus will defeat the necessity for keeping the place out of squalor. That was the point of qualifying your analogy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by TurboCretin
Your simplified model was bereft of the key factor - uncleanliness to the point of a health risk - hence why I added it for you. My answer is "the lowest common denominator that doesn't leave the place in a state of squalor such that maggots and rats decide to make it their home". A and Z need not stand over the rubbish bag demanding that the other adhere to their own standard. They can compromise by sticking to R, the reasonable standard, which is set, minimally, above the threshold for first-world sanitation. Setting the bar higher is possible with consensus, but no lack of consensus will defeat the necessity for keeping the place out of squalor. That was the point of qualifying your analogy.

Makes sense, but R would surely prove completely unacceptable to A, who would be moved to do much extra cleaning, more often, again leaving Z with nothing to clean and A pissed off about doing everything.
Original post by NB_ide
Makes sense, but R would surely prove completely unacceptable to A, who would be moved to do much extra cleaning, more often, again leaving Z with nothing to clean and A pissed off about doing everything.

- A would have no ground to complain about keeping the house in a minimally habitable condition.
- Why would A have done everything? A and Z would still both have to clean, it's just that A would have to clean more than he would like and Z wouldn't have to clean as much as he'd like.
Original post by NB_ide
I'm afraid every single person has a different "tidying threshold" - how dirty something needs to be before they are moved to tidy it. Or how full a bin needs to be before they are moved to empty it, and so on.

Therefore, in any given household, ONE person will have the lowest threshold generally and so will end up doing pretty much all of the clearning. I've lived in two houses where I was the cleanest person and I did absolutely everything, without exception. That's ok - I never asked anyone else to do it because it's not my place to do so. They weren't my guests. They had as much right to the house as I did and if they didn't want to keep it as tidy as I wanted to keep it then that's ok. If I didn't feel like cleaning it I didn't have to, but I wanted to, for my own benefit, so I did.

In my current house there is a much cleaner person and so now I'm seen as the messy one. I think the bin has some space in it while she decides it's "full", and takes it out, so I basically never take the bin out. I think the sink doesn't need cleaning yet, while she does, so she cleans it.

See how it works? You can't get upset at people about it.

Spot on.

Some people even feel that a house has to be scrubbed from top to bottom every day, whether dirty or not!

Ridiculous!

Oh, and OP, consider yourself very lucky indeed, if this is the biggest problem you ever have with your flatmates!
Reply 64
- A would have no ground to complain about keeping the house in a minimally habitable condition.
- Why would A have done everything? A and Z would still both have to clean, it's just that A would have to clean more than he would like and Z wouldn't have to clean as much as he'd like.

A cleaning to her standards would mean the house is kept well above Z's standards, leaving Z with basically no cleaning to do at all since it would never reach a state that triggers an urge to clean it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by River85
Stop trying to be awkward.

If living in private accommodation it really comes down to the standard of cleanliness expected of the landlord and this should be stated in a licence agreement (which, in this respect, will be nothing more than the bin being when full/every other day).

If bins are being left full and this is causing problems with maggots, then it's a health and safety issue and the is the risk of attracting rats and mice, which all housemates will held responsible for when it is only one causing the problem.

BTW, I've lived in some extremely clean houses that have still had problems with mice/rats.

So I fail to see your point?
Original post by NB_ide
If in theory we could divide cleaning tasks into equal portions, one part per housemate, to whose standards should the cleaning be done? Let's say a bathroom needs cleaning once per week, to standard A, to satisfy the cleanest housemate; and once per month, to standard Z, to satisfy the dirtiest. In a house of four, what sort of rota do you think would be fair and who should have the final say as to whether the bathroom has been successfully "cleaned" each time?

Thank you, so much for your points!

I wish I could have had you fighting my corner in some of the house shares I've lived in.

Unfortunately, in my experience its the loudest/nastiest/one with the most domineering personality that tries to force the others to do what they want and boss everyone else around.

So, good for the OP's housemate for standing up to the OP! And refusing to be bossed around!!!
Original post by Elissabeth
Thank you, so much for your points!

I wish I could have had you fighting my corner in some of the house shares I've lived in.

Unfortunately, in my experience its the loudest/nastiest/one with the most domineering personality that tries to force the others to do what they want and boss everyone else around.

So, good for the OP's housemate for standing up to the OP! And refusing to be bossed around!!!

I'm sorry, but leaving a bin full of food waste that's solely yours in a common area and refusing to take it out after a week is not on. I'm not the cleanest person in the world by any stretch, but that's just dirty and unreasonable.
Original post by NB_ide
A cleaning to her standards would mean the house is kept well above Z's standards, leaving Z with basically no cleaning to do at all since it would never reach a state that triggers an urge to clean it.

I got the parties mixed up. Anyway, I don't agree. Z should do his part of what is necessary to make the place habitable. A should do the rest. That is, minimally, doing her share of what is necessary to make the place habitable. If she wants to go beyond this, that's her choice. A will tidy more than Z, but she will have taken it upon herself to do so. That is her prerogative, and brings about no obligation upon Z to do more than necessary to meet the agreed standard.

Of course, all of this would be much simpler if A just put up with the agreed standard.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
I have an idea, though not sure if you'll want to do it.

Have you considered asking why they won't take the bin out? You've asked them to do it, they won't, but why?

If you ask really calmly you might get an honest response. Then use this for negotiation. Your housemate hates taking out the bin, OK, how much does this bother you? Would you be prepared to take out the bin if they did something that you hate?

Negotiate. Seriously.
Reply 70
I got the parties mixed up.

I didn't notice.

Anyway, I don't agree. Z should do his part of what is necessary to make the place habitable. A should do the rest. That is, minimally, doing her share of what is necessary to make the place habitable. If she wants to go beyond this, that's her choice. A will tidy more than Z, but she will have taken it upon herself to do so. That is her prerogative, and brings about no obligation upon Z to do more than necessary to meet the common standard.

Yea, but think of it in practice - that couldn't happen. I'll use arbitrary numbers to represent levels of cleanliness, 0-10.
Imagine if the bare minimum Z does is keeping the house at cleanliness level 4, and he will clean and tidy things when they hit level 2, at which point he brings them up to 4 and then leaves it a month or two until it falls back to 2. Living on his own this is how it would work.

Perhaps A like things to be kept around level 9, and she cleans something when it drops to level 7, back up to 9. If she lived with Z there would never be any cleaning for Z to do because A keeping her higher standards means that things never drop to a level that Z would have to deal with.

It's not as if Z can do the bottom half of the cleaning and then A polishes it all off to her higher standards, because to get to there being anything for Z to do A must neglect cleaning at all for quite some time, allowing things to slip back down to level 2 or so, whereupon Z will be moved to clean.
Original post by sword
lmao women are so groce

"Groce is a village in the municipality of Kakanj, Bosnia and Herzegovina..."

We're what?
Original post by NB_ide
I didn't notice.

Yea, but think of it in practice - that couldn't happen. I'll use arbitrary numbers to represent levels of cleanliness, 0-10.
Imagine if the bare minimum Z does is keeping the house at cleanliness level 4, and he will clean and tidy things when they hit level 2, at which point he brings them up to 4 and then leaves it a month or two until it falls back to 2. Living on his own this is how it would work.

Perhaps A like things to be kept around level 9, and she cleans something when it drops to level 7, back up to 9. If she lived with Z there would never be any cleaning for Z to do because A keeping her higher standards means that things never drop to a level that Z would have to deal with.

It's not as if Z can do the bottom half of the cleaning and then A polishes it all off to her higher standards, because to get to there being anything for Z to do A must neglect cleaning at all for quite some time, allowing things to slip back down to level 2 or so, whereupon Z will be moved to clean.

Sure, but you're ignoring the common standard. If 5 is the lowest level of cleanliness above squalor, Z will have to clean more than he would on his own, and A would have to put up with either putting more work in than him or put up with the bathroom being dirtier than she'd like. She can't have her cake and eat it. That takes care of the problem of A's lower threshold being higher than Z's upper bound.

Sure if A indulges her obsession every time the place slips below a 7, Z will never do anything. But she wouldn't be obliged to do that, and she coldn't complain if that is what happened. She could, however, complain once things dropped below a 5 and Z did nothing. The way that the situation would work is that each housemate would take turns to clean the bathroom once it slipped below a 5. There would be no obligation to make it cleaner than a 5, and if A chose to do so she would have no basis for complaining that Z didn't clean as thoroughly as her.
Reply 73
Sure, but you're ignoring the common standard. If 5 is the lowest level of cleanliness above squalor, Z will have to clean more than he would on his own, and A would have to put up with either putting more work in than him or put up with the bathroom being dirtier than she'd like. She can't have her cake and eat it. That takes care of the problem of A's lower threshold being higher than Z's upper bound.

Sure if A indulges her obsession every time the place slips below a 7, Z will never do anything. But she wouldn't be obliged to do that, and she coldn't complain if that is what happened. She could, however, complain once things dropped below a 5 and Z did nothing. The way that the situation would work is that each housemate would take turns to clean the bathroom once it slipped below a 5. There would be no obligation to make it cleaner than a 5, and if A chose to do so she would have no basis for complaining that Z didn't clean as thoroughly as her.

Yes I used 2 as my minimum acceptable level, but either way yes indeed that is how it would and should have to work.
Original post by NB_ide
I'm afraid every single person has a different "tidying threshold" - how dirty something needs to be before they are moved to tidy it. Or how full a bin needs to be before they are moved to empty it, and so on.

Therefore, in any given household, ONE person will have the lowest threshold generally and so will end up doing pretty much all of the clearning. I've lived in two houses where I was the cleanest person and I did absolutely everything, without exception. That's ok - I never asked anyone else to do it because it's not my place to do so. They weren't my guests. They had as much right to the house as I did and if they didn't want to keep it as tidy as I wanted to keep it then that's ok. If I didn't feel like cleaning it I didn't have to, but I wanted to, for my own benefit, so I did.

In my current house there is a much cleaner person and so now I'm seen as the messy one. I think the bin has some space in it while she decides it's "full", and takes it out, so I basically never take the bin out. I think the sink doesn't need cleaning yet, while she does, so she cleans it.

See how it works? You can't get upset at people about it.

I see what you mean here, and I agree with you to a certain extent. I generally clean up after myself after every meal, as I find this is easier than doing it later on, and if I'm washing my dishes and there are some left by other people, I'm usually happy to help with theirs too. I'm fine with housemates leaving things a little longer, as long as it doesn't pose a health risk or is actually disgusting (i.e. no maggots). If there were maggots or rats because of the food, then I'd expect the guilty housemate to realise that they were causing the 'health risk' (endangering their friends!) and be responsible about it and clean up faster after themselves next time. Its just common sense. I see your point about different levels of cleanliness, but aren't you talking about people that all have either reasonable or above level of cleanliness? I.e. Did you have housemates that left to their own devices would never clean up and would expect you to do it for them? Your argument works if you're all willing to do equal share of the work, but some people just prefer it a little cleaner and do it first. However, this is totally different. Its something that she should have done herself anyway. If she didn't want to take the rubbish out, she should just keep it in her own room, where it originally was, so others don't have to suffer. Its not a huge task like cleaning the kitchen. It takes about 2 minutes, and just involves walking out to your front door. :tongue:

The OP merely wants the housemate to take her own rubbish out. Rubbish which she alone created, took out of her own room, left it in the kitchen (a communal area) for a longer than reasonable period of time - so that the OP would take it out for her. She should be responsible for clearing up her own rubbish. I think what you're saying is that if someone had a lower standard of cleanliness than you, then you would take it out first because you would be less tolerable of the mess. And that's fine. But the point is that the OP already asked the flatmate to take out her own rubbish (a week after it was left (probably started to smell) and after the incident of the maggots!) to which she refused. This is unreasonable. Sure, if someone left a pile of their own rubbish for a day or even a couple of days, then that's fine. And if I happened to be taking the main rubbish out then I'd probably do theirs too - but I'd only do that if I knew that they did not expect me to do so, and had the intention of doing it themselves at a later date. I'd feel quite annoyed if they pretty much just handed it to me to do. A few times maybe, but it sounds like this is a regular matter. It seems to me that the housemate is being completely unreasonable and refusing to take out her rubbish all together - and expects to be treated like a child and for other people to do her dirty work for her. When you decide to live with someone, you should take responsibility for your mess and leave it to an acceptable standard of living - this doesn't mean squeaky clean, it just means a 'healthy' clean. Afterall, its only fair. Again, its not a problem if they forget every so often, but to expect someone to clean up for you is a completely different matter.

With the communal bins - if you never took the bin out and helped create the mess, wouldn't you feel guilty for making someone else do it all the time? She should be a little more proactive. Its not always about the household standard dropping to that of the flatemate with the lowest level of cleanliness - its about compromising. it should be an average. You're example of the bathroom earlier (I can't remember the timings) but if person A wanted to clean it every week, and person B wanted to clean it every month, then do it twice a month! Sometimes you have to be a team player and help around with common tasks. Its not like he/she's necessarily a cleanfreak!

Anyway, I feel I've gone round in circles a lot, and I do apologise. Bottom line: I see your point, but I feel that its unreasonable for the OP to be expected to do things which could be easily avoided and is, quite frankly, gross and inappropriate! OP, if I were you, I'd take a photo of her rubbish, post it as a response to her facebook message (maggots and all). Or, just put the rubbish by her door so that she has to walk past it every time. To avoid conflict though, I'd just stick it out for three months and then make sure not to live with her again!
(edited 12 years ago)
i have the same problem. what i do now is to have your own little bin in the kitchen that only you use and empty it when you want. dont bother throwing anyone elses rubbish out x
If it were me I'd dump the lot on her bed, maggots included!
Reply 77
Original post by Elissabeth
BTW, I've lived in some extremely clean houses that have still had problems with mice/rats.

So I fail to see your point?

Erm....isn't it obvious? Did I say mice and rats don't enter clean houses?

Yes, mice can still nest in relatively clean houses (if they have access and need to shelter from the weather). I've experienced this myself when a house nearby was having its shed demolished. I think this disturbed a mouse nest who decided to enter my house during the winter, an old Victorian terrace where they could get easy access.

But, by having overflowing bins/waste left lying around, you're only encouraging them. It's like putting a red carpet down for them.

So, yes, a mice or rat problem can occur in a clean house but it's more likely to occur/they will be attracted by waste. It's about reducing the possibility of there being an infestation.

Not to mention the fact that there have been maggots, so fly and bluebottle infestations are possible (and these also bring obvious health risks).
I am amazed that people are defending someone who will not take out their own rubbish.
What the hell as society come to when people who are that lazy and that disgusting are seemingly in the right in the eyes of some people?
Original post by NB_ide
I didn't notice.

Oh, TSR :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending