The Student Room Group

I know I won't get into medicine... what to do? :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mel608
Yep 100% sure, 4 of us applied for medicine in my year and only 1 put her AS grades on the UCAS application. I got offers as did a guy who didn't put down his AS grades, although, I think Birmingham, requested them from him via email as they were part of the minimum requirements.

hmmmmm

I thought that you had to enter all certificated qualifications
Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
Really? Ah, you don't know how much your post has made me happy. I've been told that this summer is my last chance to get straight As, if not then I can't get into medicine.

Are you SURE you saying that, if I apply NEXT year, I still get an equal chance of getting in with my improved, resat grades?

Okay so assuming I've got this correctly you're in year 12 now, taking your AS exams this summer but you've already calculated because of your ISA score the highest grade you could get is a B?

Well maybe it's easiest if I explain what happened to me and you can see if you're in a similar situation.

I got a B in my chemistry AS ( and AABC overall). My teacher refused to predict me an A for chemistry and as a result I was unable to apply during year 13 and decided I would have to take a gap year. I got myself a tutor who re-taught me the summer AS module which I then resat in the january of year 13 alongside sitting my A2 module. I ended up with an A as my final grade ( mainly thanks to a high ums on the resit) and A*AAc overall.

I applied last September and was treated as an equal candidate. As my A levels were completed in the two years none of the unis would have been aware I did AS resits. From an admissions office perspective you could have looked at my application and think either I had just simply decided to wait a year and take a gap year or that I was a reapplicant and had the grades but didn't get in first time round. On my ucas statement I tried to make it clear that a gap year was a personal choice but even if they thought I was a reaaplicant it shouldn't have disadvantaged me.

I got a lot of work experience and I'm spending this year working in the hospital. I have offers from Cardiff and Manchester :smile:

I'm pretty sure it's still possible for you to get in, you just might have to accept that a gap year might be necessary if you cannot get the predictions or justify on your application why you didn't get an A at AS
Reply 42
Just make sure you do well in unit two.. and persuade your teacher to predict you an A. You can always do the year 12 isa again in year 13 when the year 12's do it.
Original post by MyJunkIsYou
Okay so assuming I've got this correctly you're in year 12 now, taking your AS exams this summer but you've already calculated because of your ISA score the highest grade you could get is a B?

Well maybe it's easiest if I explain what happened to me and you can see if you're in a similar situation.

I got a B in my chemistry AS ( and AABC overall). My teacher refused to predict me an A for chemistry and as a result I was unable to apply during year 13 and decided I would have to take a gap year. I got myself a tutor who re-taught me the summer AS module which I then resat in the january of year 13 alongside sitting my A2 module. I ended up with an A as my final grade ( mainly thanks to a high ums on the resit) and A*AAc overall.

I applied last September and was treated as an equal candidate. As my A levels were completed in the two years none of the unis would have been aware I did AS resits. From an admissions office perspective you could have looked at my application and think either I had just simply decided to wait a year and take a gap year or that I was a reapplicant and had the grades but didn't get in first time round. On my ucas statement I tried to make it clear that a gap year was a personal choice but even if they thought I was a reaaplicant it shouldn't have disadvantaged me.

I got a lot of work experience and I'm spending this year working in the hospital. I have offers from Cardiff and Manchester :smile:

I'm pretty sure it's still possible for you to get in, you just might have to accept that a gap year might be necessary if you cannot get the predictions or justify on your application why you didn't get an A at AS

Thanks for your success story! (sorry to bring this back up after two days, lol)

So when you say you were "unable to apply during year 13", what do you mean by that? Do you mean you just 'skipped' that October UCAS cycle and didn't apply for anything? Or you applied for medicine but got rejected?

Also, Do many people take a gap year overall? If I take a gap year, will I be at any disadvantage at all? (I've had gap year in mind for a while now but been scared universities frown upon them)

Thanks for the info (and please answer)
Reply 44
Why not do a foundation year? One of my friends isjust away to start it.
Original post by Alt__x
Why not do a foundation year? One of my friends isjust away to start it.

A foundation year? What's that?
Thanks for your success story! (sorry to bring this back up after two days, lol)

So when you say you were "unable to apply during year 13", what do you mean by that? Do you mean you just 'skipped' that October UCAS cycle and didn't apply for anything? Or you applied for medicine but got rejected?

Also, Do many people take a gap year overall? If I take a gap year, will I be at any disadvantage at all? (I've had gap year in mind for a while now but been scared universities frown upon them)

Thanks for the info (and please answer)

I mean I just skipped it and didn't bother applying. I didn't have the predictions high enough to meet the entry criteria (my chem teacher would only predict a B) so as I would almost certainly be declined I didn't see the point in applying.

I don't know what the statistics are but I think it's more common that you imagine. At the two interviews I had everyone was on a gap year either by choice or rejection the year before. I think the universities want to know how a gap year is going to be of benefit if you're taking one so try and make it worthwhile. I'm not an admissions tutor but I don't see why it would be a disadvantage, the point of your ucas statement and interviews is to sell it as an advantage. I wrote a small end paragraph on the end of my personal statement explaining what I was doing and how I thought it would aid me.
Original post by MyJunkIsYou
I mean I just skipped it and didn't bother applying. I didn't have the predictions high enough to meet the entry criteria (my chem teacher would only predict a B) so as I would almost certainly be declined I didn't see the point in applying.

I don't know what the statistics are but I think it's more common that you imagine. At the two interviews I had everyone was on a gap year either by choice or rejection the year before. I think the universities want to know how a gap year is going to be of benefit if you're taking one so try and make it worthwhile. I'm not an admissions tutor but I don't see why it would be a disadvantage, the point of your ucas statement and interviews is to sell it as an advantage. I wrote a small end paragraph on the end of my personal statement explaining what I was doing and how I thought it would aid me.

So, would you think it's better to apply this UCAS cycle, and almost certainly get rejected, or just skip it this time round and try next time?
Reply 48
You'd have to base that on the AS grades you get. But if you can't at least get an AAA prediction, then you'll have to either take a gap year or go for GEM (Graduate Entry Medicine).

Anyway, no point in worrying about it right now, just focus on getting those A's as they're the most important part of your medical application.
(edited 11 years ago)
So, would you think it's better to apply this UCAS cycle, and almost certainly get rejected, or just skip it this time round and try next time?

It depends on the AS grades you achieve and most importantly your predictions. If you can get the predictions to meet the entry criteria (so at least AAA or a few courses A*AB) then you can apply. If your predictions don't meet the entry criteria then your application will be rejected a the first stage- this was the situation I was in.

Even if you get a B in your chemistry AS, if you have a teacher who is willing to predict you an A then you are still able to apply. I think in this case your reference will become important in justifying why you "underperformed" and why they feel you are still an A candidate. Also you may even be directly asked about it in interview.

(This isn't a medicine example but my sister applied for dentistry with a prediction higher than her AS grade, the first question she was asked at a birmingham interview was "what went wrong?". If you have a situation like that, biggest piece of advice is to not to play the blame game "oh I had a poor teacher" etc. Make the negative into a positive by explaining what you have learnt from it. My sister got an offer from them)

Basically my advice would be to focus on your exams coming up. You really can't make a decision until you have your results and then speak to your teachers about predictions.

Get revising and good luck
Reply 50
Hi,

My parents really expect me to get into medicine... and I really want to as well... but I know I can only get a B in my chemistry AS, because I got such a low grade for my ISA :frown: What can I do? Plus, I have almost no work experience

I'm such a failure...

Sorry for the rant.

Just came across this :P
I was told that even if you got a U in the ISA you could still get an A overall if you got A's on both exams, that's for AQA what exam board are you doing?
I'm in a similar position except with maths and it seems like I'm going to get an E overall :frown: So cheer up because a B is better than an E any day :smile:
Original post by Sharyn
Just came across this :P
I was told that even if you got a U in the ISA you could still get an A overall if you got A's on both exams, that's for AQA what exam board are you doing?
I'm in a similar position except with maths and it seems like I'm going to get an E overall :frown: So cheer up because a B is better than an E any day :smile:

Yeah I am AQA, and I did get a U on my ISA. but I also didn't get an A in unit 1, so I'm going to rely on unit 2 to bring it up to a B, or even a C :frown:
I decided a few days ago with my family that I am going to take a gap year after Year 13 in order to apply then with my full A-Levels (by then I would have hopefully had resits and have brought my grade up to As... fingers crossed!!) because without good grades the first time round (this October) there'd be no point as I would get rejected.
What do you think of this? Also do you know if many people are taking gAp years? Will it be a disadvantage?
Reply 52
Don't worry OP, many people take gap years either because they didn't get the required AS grades (like me) or because they were rejected by all 4 choices. It doesn't disadvantage you at all providing that you make good use of that year to carry out voluntary work, work experience, etc.

A well spent gap year would actually put you at an advantage as you'd already have your grades, would be able to get tons of experience and reapplying shows immense commitment and dedication on your part.
There's a difference between taking a gap year and doing a levels over 3 years - most Med schools don't accept that.
well you are the master of your own future, if you want to get in to medicine (and i mean you, not your parents), then work to get that B up to an A at A2 and arrange some effing work experience! volunteering! many things that you can do...
Reply 55
Yeah I am AQA, and I did get a U on my ISA. but I also didn't get an A in unit 1, so I'm going to rely on unit 2 to bring it up to a B, or even a C :frown:
I decided a few days ago with my family that I am going to take a gap year after Year 13 in order to apply then with my full A-Levels (by then I would have hopefully had resits and have brought my grade up to As... fingers crossed!!) because without good grades the first time round (this October) there'd be no point as I would get rejected.
What do you think of this? Also do you know if many people are taking gAp years? Will it be a disadvantage?

That's exactly what happened to me I got a U in the ISA then a D in unit 1. I retook the ISA now I have a B and retook the unit 1 exam on tuesday so fingers crossed. Why didn't you retake unit 1?
See you're quite lucky in that sense, may parents don't really want me to take a gap year so I'm going to apply, get rejected then have to take a gap year anyway. But personally I'd rather take a gap year, and get some more work experience maybe do an additional language or something, so I can make myself stand out.
A lot of people take gap years tbh and I don't think it disadvantages them in anyway because I know a lot of people who have been rejected first time and accepted after a gap year :smile:
Sorry for the long post :P
Original post by Sharyn
That's exactly what happened to me I got a U in the ISA then a D in unit 1. I retook the ISA now I have a B and retook the unit 1 exam on tuesday so fingers crossed. Why didn't you retake unit 1?
See you're quite lucky in that sense, may parents don't really want me to take a gap year so I'm going to apply, get rejected then have to take a gap year anyway. But personally I'd rather take a gap year, and get some more work experience maybe do an additional language or something, so I can make myself stand out.
A lot of people take gap years tbh and I don't think it disadvantages them in anyway because I know a lot of people who have been rejected first time and accepted after a gap year :smile:
Sorry for the long post :P

Haha well tell your parents that there's no point applying first time round because you will get rejected. That's what I told my mum and as a result she let me do it.
Although, I really don't know what to do on my gap year. I know I can do some sort of work experience, but I don't wanna do something that's not worthwhile. So what do you think is best? Volunteering, maybe, but where? I was thinking maybe do it abroad in Egypt (I used to live there and I speak the language) for a year but then again I've already got a few days experience there. And I don't wanna go for the same place again.
Also, it just occured to me that the application send-in is in October. So we won't have begun our gap year yet. So what's the point, if we can't even put down our work experience since we haven't done it? So confused :s-smilie:
Sorry I'm bombarding you with questions!
Do you want to go into medicine or do your parents want you to..?
Reply 58
why apply if you have no faith? smh at you people. grow some balls and dont be your parents' puppet.
Reply 59
Haha well tell your parents that there's no point applying first time round because you will get rejected. That's what I told my mum and as a result she let me do it.
Although, I really don't know what to do on my gap year. I know I can do some sort of work experience, but I don't wanna do something that's not worthwhile. So what do you think is best? Volunteering, maybe, but where? I was thinking maybe do it abroad in Egypt (I used to live there and I speak the language) for a year but then again I've already got a few days experience there. And I don't wanna go for the same place again.
Also, it just occured to me that the application send-in is in October. So we won't have begun our gap year yet. So what's the point, if we can't even put down our work experience since we haven't done it? So confused :s-smilie:
Sorry I'm bombarding you with questions!

I did but they said 'you don't know for sure and there's no harm in trying - you might get lucky' :rolleyes:
Yeah get voluntary work at a hospital? I applied in January this year but they had too many volunteers already :frown: It's best to apply early like in September. Egypt sounds good too maybe you could do some other type of work experience there I mean like if you did it at a hospital before, try a GP surgery? But I'd say it's important to have some work experience within the NHS over here as well.
Yeah if you apply for deffered entry then you say why you're having a gap year and what you plan to do during it and how this will benefit you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest