The Student Room Group

Journalism Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by ChubbyWatermelon
yup... for sheffield. For IB, sri lankans and other specific countries.

hope your revision and exams are going well! good luck :smile:
Reply 141
Howdy,

So is anyone else doing Journalism in 2012,- No I'm doing it already. So some advice.

Where are you applying - I study at Uni. Portsmouth, which is actually one of the best unis in the country for journalism
What work experience are you doing - I did some experience on a local paper as well as just reading up on your general info and current affairs
What sort of course content are you looking for (TV, Radio, Print etc) - Make sure whichever course you are applying for is ACCREDITED by the appropriate bodies. If the course is not accredited then local newspapers won't even touch you with a bargepole. And make sure it has SHORTHAND, trust me - if you don't get to 100 words a minute, you won't be hired.
Whats your DREAM job!
I want to be an international journalist who reports the sides of stories that largely get ignored in western media. I want to travel and learn more languages. Yes I'm the idiot that will end up in warzones

So what I mainly wanted to say I've said above. But trust me guys, you need to make sure the course you're doing is accredited and has shorthand, if not you won't get hired in an already tough situation for journalists. Local papers are increasingly folding (pun unintended) and you will be up against not only the people from your course but also those from every other uni in the country.
Fun fact, Sky Sports won't even take people on work experience that don't have 100wpm shorthand.

You need to make sure your grammar is up to scratch and that you have a keen interest in what's happening in the world, and around you. If you want a job you're going to have to start locally. Try out different writing styles, the guardian uses different standpoints and words to the Mail or the Express.

One of the key things you should read up on is the Israeli/Palestine crisis, the Arab Spring, Orientalism, and just some basic economics such as the eurozone crisis. It will help you understand what is going on in the world and will be a real plus on your course, and when looking for jobs. I suggest reading books such as Last Chance, Teach yourself: Israeli/Palestinian conflict and a variety of journals and news articles from different papers.
Also get a web presence, twitter and a blog are essential to get yourself out there. Find a niche and you might even get sponsors early on. Keep posts fairly short (I tackle complex issue and fail at that aspect) and make sure you post on set days at set times (I fail at that too atm).
Original post by gonchanya
hope your revision and exams are going well! good luck :smile:

thank you!!!! (sorry this is late)
GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO!!!!how were your exams so far. I honestly feel mental!
you?
Reply 143
thank you!!!! (sorry this is late)
GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO!!!!how were your exams so far. I honestly feel mental!
you?

oh god me too, i have history tomorrow! so so worried haha, there is just so much information. I think i completely failed english as well, paper 2 for HL was horrible :frown: I don't even know haha. I am just going to keep on hoping for those 35 points!
oh god me too, i have history tomorrow! so so worried haha, there is just so much information. I think i completely failed english as well, paper 2 for HL was horrible :frown: I don't even know haha. I am just going to keep on hoping for those 35 points!

uuurgh... tell me about it. every night i pray for a 35.... not good grades... i dont care about what i get per subject... I JUST NEED A 35! haha.... a friend of mine who got excepted to Sheffield for engineering said the same thing. ^_^
so dont worry, you are not the only one.
ENGLISH WAS HARD YEAH.... !!!
but, guess what, i got physics paper 3 and history paper 1 and 2 on the same day...
i feel my brain shuddering... (weird imagery i know!)
Reply 145
uuurgh... tell me about it. every night i pray for a 35.... not good grades... i dont care about what i get per subject... I JUST NEED A 35! haha.... a friend of mine who got excepted to Sheffield for engineering said the same thing. ^_^
so dont worry, you are not the only one.
ENGLISH WAS HARD YEAH.... !!!
but, guess what, i got physics paper 3 and history paper 1 and 2 on the same day...
i feel my brain shuddering... (weird imagery i know!)

oh gosh i hope today was fine for you!! i had an earthquake during my paper 1 history exam... i mean like sirens going off for fifteen minutes and we didn't get extra time or anything. we had to work through the earthquake and through the sirens for the 15 minutes of the exam where time means everything. i know i screwed up paper 1 history :/ xx
Reply 146
Oh gosh the IB sounds really hectic! Good luck you guys, and to everyone on this thread :smile: Also, thanks for your advice Isaab! :smile:
oh gosh i hope today was fine for you!! i had an earthquake during my paper 1 history exam... i mean like sirens going off for fifteen minutes and we didn't get extra time or anything. we had to work through the earthquake and through the sirens for the 15 minutes of the exam where time means everything. i know i screwed up paper 1 history :/ xx

O.O AN EARTHQUAKE?!?! When i first read it i thought you meant metaphorically... but... damn! ok... that was harsh... but i hope you do well!
just a little comforting message 18/25 is a 7. a 15-16 is a 6. Technically, you gotta get just more than half the points to do well. ^_^ Im not saying i did well, i actually came up with this theory to make myself feel better ^_^.
Reply 148
O.O AN EARTHQUAKE?!?! When i first read it i thought you meant metaphorically... but... damn! ok... that was harsh... but i hope you do well!
just a little comforting message 18/25 is a 7. a 15-16 is a 6. Technically, you gotta get just more than half the points to do well. ^_^ Im not saying i did well, i actually came up with this theory to make myself feel better ^_^.

haha yep it was quite a literal earthquake! i knew that but its still so hard to get that 18 or even 16. I am not confident at all with history. are you ready for paper 3 tomorrow? :/ the hardest oneeee. ugh. we are doing east asia and oceania
haha yep it was quite a literal earthquake! i knew that but its still so hard to get that 18 or even 16. I am not confident at all with history. are you ready for paper 3 tomorrow? :/ the hardest oneeee. ugh. we are doing east asia and oceania

yea... 18 is really hard. WE ARE DOING THE SAME THING FOR PAPER THREE!!! :smile: opium wars and shimbara rebellion and all that right? O.O
SO MUCH TO STUDY!!!! its unbelievable. the reading is intense!
h

haha yes but we are just did japan+china. i have made the most stupid mistake... i didnt turn over the page and did not see the mao question and ended up doing horrible rise of the communist state and the boxers uprising questions. ugh... i feel like 35 is hard to reach than ever

hey, be careful about IB regulations. My IBDP co-ordinator is a bit anal about it... so dont discuss the paper online especially not for 24h. Just to be safe. But yes, it was kinda a hard paper. I hope i do ok... Or i hope the whole world fails so the grade boundaries are lower...
Reply 151
hey, be careful about IB regulations. My IBDP co-ordinator is a bit anal about it... so dont discuss the paper online especially not for 24h. Just to be safe. But yes, it was kinda a hard paper. I hope i do ok... Or i hope the whole world fails so the grade boundaries are lower...

ah :/ sorry haha. ill delete the comment. and yes i knowww. just have to do spanish and bio now :smile: done in three days! yay!
ah :/ sorry haha. ill delete the comment. and yes i knowww. just have to do spanish and bio now :smile: done in three days! yay!

HA! im doing spanish too!!! unlucky that you have 4 exams on that day eh?!
spanish is my last paper! then... i can only pray for the 5th of july!
Reply 153
HA! im doing spanish too!!! unlucky that you have 4 exams on that day eh?!
spanish is my last paper! then... i can only pray for the 5th of july!

silly its the 6th of july :P and yesss very unlucky. i have only started my revision for bio today :/ soooooo not prepared.
silly its the 6th of july :P and yesss very unlucky. i have only started my revision for bio today :/ soooooo not prepared.

ah... the 6th.... DREADED!!! I BID YOU GOOD LUCK!
i started spanish... i honestly dont know how to study for a language though O.O
Reply 155
ah... the 6th.... DREADED!!! I BID YOU GOOD LUCK!
i started spanish... i honestly dont know how to study for a language though O.O

haha you too :smile: I haven't been doing spanish though :/ too focus on biology because there is soooo much.
haha you too :smile: I haven't been doing spanish though :/ too focus on biology because there is soooo much.

yea... i can imagine. BIO is intense. are you HL or SL?
Reply 157
yea... i can imagine. BIO is intense. are you HL or SL?

im sl. just had it! :smile:
Reply 158
im sl. just had it! :smile:

PS congratulations on being done with ib!!
ps congratulations on being done with ib!!

you too congrats!!! ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending