The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History exam - 22nd May 2012

Hey (:
Anyone on here doing... "History - conflict and change 19c & 20c"
I'm looking for some past essays that people might have done that were really good so I can look over their style. Also any predictions that would be great...
I'm doing the Crimean war, the Boer war and WW1......
Thanks (:

Scroll to see replies

I'm taking that exam but I'm doing Option D, "The British Empire Challenged"
Reply 2
Original post by Lovefoxxx_93

Okay - What have you been doing to revise?
Reply 3
Anyone doing The Changing Role of Women in Britain 1860- 1930?
Original post by andrean

I am! How are you feeling about it?
Reply 5
Original post by cesca42
I am! How are you feeling about it?

I feel quite insecure cause it's hard to memorize all of the information! :/ how about you?
Reply 6
I'm retaking this exam but pretty screwed as I have no textbook/notes!

anyone with sources of info is appreciated !

Anyone got any questions to test my knowledge from last year would be good!

(im also doing the crimea/boer/ww1)
Original post by andrean
I feel quite insecure cause it's hard to memorize all of the information! :/ how about you?

I'm actually feeling okay about it because I don't find remembering it all that difficult. My issue though is using the sources in the 40 mark question. I just can't get my mark above 11/16 and I don't know why!
Reply 8
Original post by cesca42
I'm actually feeling okay about it because I don't find remembering it all that difficult. My issue though is using the sources in the 40 mark question. I just can't get my mark above 11/16 and I don't know why!

For the sources, all I can say is cross reference as much as possible, and only do provenace where relevant.
I'm the same, plus the own knowledge side bit is really bugging me aswell because I thought I was pretty clued up on it all but apparently not. I think I'm going to look for past answers and loads of acts etc and blitz it all :/ After this Tuesday's exam, I don't think I can afford to get below 30/40 if I want my A :/
Original post by Rosieree
For the sources, all I can say is cross reference as much as possible, and only do provenace where relevant.
I'm the same, plus the own knowledge side bit is really bugging me aswell because I thought I was pretty clued up on it all but apparently not. I think I'm going to look for past answers and loads of acts etc and blitz it all :/ After this Tuesday's exam, I don't think I can afford to get below 30/40 if I want my A :/

We're in the same boat, I'm going to have to get an astronomically high mark in sources to get an A following the disaster that was Tuesday... I can manage 19/20 but with my dodgy source work the highest I've ever managed on the 40-marker is 34/40

Thanks for the advice about sources though :smile:
Original post by Mcfly101202
Okay - What have you been doing to revise?

I've condensed my whole textbook into a few pages of large, brightly-coloured spider diagrams of keys events and their consequences. I've also actually bothered to look at the mark scheme this time (I'm retaking) and I've just done a full timed mock and I'll have my teacher look at it tomorrow. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by andrean

I am, and know **** all!! I focused mostly on the other exam, and now regret it haha, any tips/advice/ideas of what to revise? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by WH1892
I'm retaking this exam but pretty screwed as I have no textbook/notes!

anyone with sources of info is appreciated !

Anyone got any questions to test my knowledge from last year would be good!

(im also doing the crimea/boer/ww1)

hey, I'm doing the same unit as you - boer, crimea, ww1.
How have you been revising? also do you have any good past essays you have done? w could swap etc. I have notes also -you say you don@t have any. Want me to post them?
Original post by ROSSYROO
I am, and know **** all!! I focused mostly on the other exam, and now regret it haha, any tips/advice/ideas of what to revise? :smile:

Original post by Rosieree

We were thinking about this in my history class, and they've already asked questions on the stances of all of the political parties, so hopefully that won't come up.
Reply 14
For women, revise work and education! :smile: Either one comes up every year.
Reply 15
Hey I'm doing conflict and change in 19th and 20TH century

Personally Boer war should come hasn't come up since January 2011

I've been revising by practisicng the sources qs for 20 and 40

I'm using my condense notes and this book I brought on amazon. Called my revsion notes: experience of warffare in Britain the book is really good precise to the point and also give sample answrs to practice and also gives u the answer of the style so u can see how to structure it

My his teacher thinks it might be concetration camps for Boer war or Kitchener's tactics

For ww1 I think its going to be a BEF qs or DORA or war economy

I doubt Crimea will come up a lot of 20 markers have been asked about Lord Raglan nolan and cardigan so they could ask about depictions of the war such as russel's and Roger fentons photography as this hasn't come up

Really need to a goood grade in this beacuse I don't think I did too well in my unit1

If any1 needs any held on how to cross refernece use provenanace how to cocnlude feel free to quote

: D
Reply 16
Original post by ikz94
Hey I'm doing conflict and change in 19th and 20TH century

Personally Boer war should come hasn't come up since January 2011

I've been revising by practisicng the sources qs for 20 and 40

I'm using my condense notes and this book I brought on amazon. Called my revsion notes: experience of warffare in Britain the book is really good precise to the point and also give sample answrs to practice and also gives u the answer of the style so u can see how to structure it

My his teacher thinks it might be concetration camps for Boer war or Kitchener's tactics

For ww1 I think its going to be a BEF qs or DORA or war economy

I doubt Crimea will come up a lot of 20 markers have been asked about Lord Raglan nolan and cardigan so they could ask about depictions of the war such as russel's and Roger fentons photography as this hasn't come up

Really need to a goood grade in this beacuse I don't think I did too well in my unit1

If any1 needs any held on how to cross refernece use provenanace how to cocnlude feel free to quote

: D

Yeah I'm doing British Warfare 1854-1929 too... but absolutely ****ting it to be honest. Felt I did alright in Unit 1 but I'm definitely not depending on it because I feel like I know nothing when it comes to all three aspects of this exam, Crimean, Boer & WW1.

Think I'm going to go over the whole of the Edexcel student book and write notes to reassure myself of the knowledge aspect of this exam. The thing is, apart from the knowledge which is only like 24 marks out of 60 marks in the whole exam a lot of it is dependant on the analysis of the sources which I feel is another area I'm struggling to fully understand how to answer them. If you have any tips on how to answer in response to the sources for both section A and B feel free to reply.

Also, is Section A completely different to B in that it requires you to analyse the source's origins and provenance? This is the bit that confuses me, I know theres a differentiation between the analysis of sources of section A and the sources in section B but I still have no idea what due to the teacher I have putting too much emphasis on knowledge rather than applying it to exam papers...
Reply 17
Hey skrilla GB I'm on my BB so can't quote :P

For the 20 mark all the info u need is in the sources u just have to drain it out

I usually plan like this:

Cross reference:

Infers:

Concurs:

Provennace:

Strength/ weakness of source:

For the 40 use the same strategy as the 20 marker but say the 40 marker was on Battle of Somme for instance and like Haig said that it was the best victroy went actually it was a bloodshed u can add your own knowldedge saying how. By saying he wasn't a good commander he didn't lead the somme well then for provennace for that u can say. Haig is bound to emphasize that the somme was. Not a catastrophe. This limits the streng. Of the source as haig might does not want feel accountable for the dissater at the somme.

Hope that helps I'm actually better at sources so need to do well to get a pass for histroy as I either failed or got a D or E in unit 1 that's how I felt so gna get good in this or ese ill have some explaining to do if u need help ill be on 2mo after 2 I have an exam 2mo (communication and culture) so I'm on a break at the month so can't really help out today but after 2MO sure
Reply 18
Original post by Lovefoxxx_93

hi,im taking thisexamfor the 3rd time lol, the highest grade ive got is a c :frown: please couldanyone give me any advice on how to get the higher level 4 marks for /20 and /40 question? could anyone tell me the structure......... thanks in advance!
Who's doing Britain and Ireland on Tuesday? And who did Russia on the Tuesday just gone? :smile: