The Student Room Group

Scly3- aqa - mass media

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by B-Man.
Could you offer some notes on New Media and Globalisation & Popular culture please?

if you have the notes could you send me them too please :]
Reply 61
what are representations of power
yeah, i'm gunna fail i am so tired and i've done nothing.
Reply 63
Actually praying representation of class, age or sexuality comes up! the names for disability are too hard to remember, if ethnicity comes up that would be so unfair since its been up twice already. I can't believe how hard A2 Sociology is compared to AS, gone from my easiest to my hardest subject!
Reply 64
Good luck everyone!! Don't worry too much or else nerves will get the best of you. Just relax and keep doing last minute revision (am I the only one who ends up remembering more from last minute revision than I remember from the whole year?) haha.

Let's hope the examiners are kind this year :tongue:
Reply 65
Original post by walkhms
Good luck everyone!! Don't worry too much or else nerves will get the best of you. Just relax and keep doing last minute revision (am I the only one who ends up remembering more from last minute revision than I remember from the whole year?) haha.

Let's hope the examiners are kind this year :tongue:

That's me too lol last year me and my friend did last minute cramming half an hour before the exam I ended up only using that revision in the exam xD good luck! I'm defibatley going to need it :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 66
Good luck everyone!

Reply 67
How did everyone find the exam? Wasn't too bad!
Reply 68
it was alright.. the second question was hard to really go into depth with though!
Reply 69
Yeah I only wrote a full page and a half on that one. I answered the news selection question which took about 50 minutes of the hour and half haha but I tried my best I guess. Would've liked more time for the conclusion though.

Good luck with unit 4 everyone ... Its got a lot of revision to do so you better start soon!
I thought the paper went really well, then I got out and realised I'd forgotten to use the Item, I don't think I even read it! Any idea how much that will cost me in marks? Can anyone remeber what the item said? If I'm lucky I'll have talked about what was in the item without realising...
Reply 71
Original post by thecranedance
I thought the paper went really well, then I got out and realised I'd forgotten to use the Item, I don't think I even read it! Any idea how much that will cost me in marks? Can anyone remeber what the item said? If I'm lucky I'll have talked about what was in the item without realising...

Don't worry I didn't use the item too but I did use the term social problem which was in the item. The item was very brief and wasn't exactly detailed so I don't think you'll lose marks anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 72
What did people write for the news question?

Reply 73
Original post by chelseeaxo
What did people write for the news question?

The socially constructed new question? I wrote about:
-Marxism - Miliband proletariat serving the bourgeoisie, how editors/journalists tend to be middle class therefore reflecting their own values and possibly ignoring the middle class - too poor to support capitalism
- Pluralism - how they believe media is diverse and caters for all tastes therefore disagreeing with marxism, free market economy - news which people believe and agree with will do well, and those which do not fail.
- Social constructs - such as how the diet of trivia and celebrity culture takes over news - i mentioned how at the weekend the murder of a 15 year old girl appeared to be overshadowed by a 'TOWIE' rumoured engagement. and how the daily mail feed the diet of trivia by concentrating more on celebrities.
- Practical Constraints REALLY briefly :frown: ran out of time so just jotted down a few points about how time/demand influence the construction of news and briefly about davies 'churnalism'

The last question i was running out of time and panicked a bit, i hope i did alright though - i only need a C for my Uni place
Reply 74
Original post by walkhms
Don't worry I didn't use the item too but I did use the term social problem which was in the item. The item was very brief and wasn't exactly detailed so I don't think you'll lose marks anyway.

the only thing i used from the item was re-mentioning stereotypes! i said how TV programmes use the 'Chav' stereotype - little britain, catherine tate show
Original post by walkhms
I'm thinking social class or maybe even age.... Sexuality isn't enough for a 33 mark question I think

psychic!!
for the news question I basically talked out of my ass, it got me an A before so hoping it went well, I talked about the different perspectives on news selection and ownership, news values, legislation, consumer journalism or w/e it's called and I talked about the implications of the public in stories I dunno, I googled it and I think I was the right track, I hurt my finger a couple of days ago and i have slice the skin under neath my nail so maybe they will take pity on me for my scruffy writing.
Reply 77
Original post by beth122
The socially constructed new question? I wrote about:
-Marxism - Miliband proletariat serving the bourgeoisie, how editors/journalists tend to be middle class therefore reflecting their own values and possibly ignoring the middle class - too poor to support capitalism
- Pluralism - how they believe media is diverse and caters for all tastes therefore disagreeing with marxism, free market economy - news which people believe and agree with will do well, and those which do not fail.
- Social constructs - such as how the diet of trivia and celebrity culture takes over news - i mentioned how at the weekend the murder of a 15 year old girl appeared to be overshadowed by a 'TOWIE' rumoured engagement. and how the daily mail feed the diet of trivia by concentrating more on celebrities.
- Practical Constraints REALLY briefly :frown: ran out of time so just jotted down a few points about how time/demand influence the construction of news and briefly about davies 'churnalism'

The last question i was running out of time and panicked a bit, i hope i did alright though - i only need a C for my Uni place

I pretty much did the same but included news values. I talked about the journalists backgrounds aswell. But I got pluralism confused with post modernism :frown:

Reply 78
Original post by _iamnickiminaj
for the news question I basically talked out of my ass, it got me an A before so hoping it went well, I talked about the different perspectives on news selection and ownership, news values, legislation, consumer journalism or w/e it's called and I talked about the implications of the public in stories I dunno, I googled it and I think I was the right track, I hurt my finger a couple of days ago and i have slice the skin under neath my nail so maybe they will take pity on me for my scruffy writing.

That's what I did haha :tongue: I get really bad cramp in my hand by the end it was a struggle to even write word and my writing was barley legible :frown:

Reply 79
Original post by chelseeaxo
I pretty much did the same but included news values. I talked about the journalists backgrounds aswell. But I got pluralism confused with post modernism :frown:

ah i did news values aswell! like meaningfulness, elite countries/persons

oh dear :frown: i didn't write anything about postmodernism.. when i saw the other 33 mark question i thought i was going to throw up haha! it confuses me!

sometimes examiners will give you the benefit of the doubt though and only deduct a few marks if the theory was good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending