The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hsbrook
Forgot i even started this post! i'm in my second year at Bath now. I bought my car with me for first year as it was necessary for me to be travelling back and forth from home. Unless its completely necessary i wouldn't do it until second year because why would you need it.. and even then parking at the uni is extortionate. Anyway the farmer is at the end of the road out of the uni... the route the bus takes out of uni. The farm is called Rainbow Wood Farm as far as i can remember, and its a B&B. He charges a pound a day for parking and asks for payment up front. So it was like £100 a term, Bath only having 2 terms. If you google the place you'll get the number.

Its pretty busy up there so i'm sure that people who use the sports facilities use it cus as i said Bath uni rips you off in parking and will clamp your car.

Not for much longer as private clamping/towing is being banned in October.

And you can safely ignore private parking (fake) tickets even from agents of a University. MoneysavingExpert parking forum explains about this - not saying people should park where they are not allowed, just saying don't pay if you get a fake PCN.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Just trying to work out the best strategy for a visitor coming Friday evening -> Monday. If it weren't for that pesky Monday I'd just get him to park on campus - do you reckon Rainbow Wood Farm or Bathwick/Widcombe Hill is the best bet?
Reply 22
Does anybody know if the farmer at Rainbow Woods Farm still charges a pound per day for parking? I really want to bring my car up to Bath as buses are really unreliable this year and just don't show up where I live a lot of the time - I'm in my second year living in Oldfield Park. If anybody uses this farm for parking or knows anybody who does then I'd appreciate it if you got back to me :smile: Thanks!
Reply 23
Hi I'm a 4th year now, I started this thread 4 years ago nearly. :O
Anyway, I did use the farmer, but as you're a second year I wouldn't recommend it. I also live in oldfield park, and I know if you live in the wrong area it's a nightmare, it was in my second year. The farmer takes a whole terms parking anyway and will be full by now since it's week 5.
Currently I drive up and park on North Road. It's a 15 minute walk, up hill, to uni. But if you don't want to pay parking, then it's probably your only option, as they have even started ticketing at the cats and dogs home now. Or walk to somewhere else in oldfield park to get your bus :smile:
Reply 24
Anyway, I did use the farmer, but as you're a second year I wouldn't recommend it. I also live in oldfield park, and I know if you live in the wrong area it's a nightmare, it was in my second year. The farmer takes a whole terms parking anyway and will be full by now since it's week 5.
Currently I drive up and park on North Road. It's a 15 minute walk, up hill, to uni. But if you don't want to pay parking, then it's probably your only option, as they have even started ticketing at the cats and dogs home now. Or walk to somewhere else in oldfield park to get your bus!
Reply 25
Does this still exist? If so, how can you contact the farmer?
Reply 26
Original post by hsbrook
Currently I drive up and park on North Road. It's a 15 minute walk, up hill, to uni. But if you don't want to pay parking, then it's probably your only option, as they have even started ticketing at the cats and dogs home now. Or walk to somewhere else in oldfield park to get your bus!

Hi, how do you get in contact with this farmer?? thank you! x
Reply 27
How do I get in touch with the farmer? Do you know what the farm is called I can't seem to find anything?
Reply 28
Its rainbow wood farm, you'll find the phone number if you google.
He said the price has gone up to £500 a year due to demand so I said I'd leave it and park further away for free!
Reply 29
who is this farmer and can you put me in touch with him?
Original post by yonchit
who is this farmer and can you put me in touch with him?
The answer is in the post literally just above yours :wink:I'm uncertain whether he still does it or not though. It's not something you hear very much about on campus.
Reply 31
Original post by hsbrook
Forgot i even started this post! i'm in my second year at Bath now. I bought my car with me for first year as it was necessary for me to be travelling back and forth from home. Unless its completely necessary i wouldn't do it until second year because why would you need it.. and even then parking at the uni is extortionate. Anyway the farmer is at the end of the road out of the uni... the route the bus takes out of uni. The farm is called Rainbow Wood Farm as far as i can remember, and its a B&B. He charges a pound a day for parking and asks for payment up front. So it was like £100 a term, Bath only having 2 terms. If you google the place you'll get the number. Its pretty busy up there so i'm sure that people who use the sports facilities use it cus as i said Bath uni rips you off in parking and will clamp your car.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? What puts a student under "necessary circumstances" for a car? I live in Surrey and there are local train stations nearby so I could easily get the train, however, I plan to be travelling to and from Uni as much as possible because i'm a very "home girl", so the train will cost half a fortune and its much easier to just drive. What made your location eligible for a car?
Original post by 32908
If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? What puts a student under "necessary circumstances" for a car? I live in Surrey and there are local train stations nearby so I could easily get the train, however, I plan to be travelling to and from Uni as much as possible because i'm a very "home girl", so the train will cost half a fortune and its much easier to just drive. What made your location eligible for a car?

Assuming you will be an undergraduate and not a postgraduate (the rules there are slightly different), the rules imposed by the government mean that you cannot bring your car to the City of Bath if you live in a university managed hall of residence. The exceptions are if you live (are formally resident) outside of a BA1 or BA2 postcode & wish to commute to university by car or have a very good reason for needing one anyway.

If you apply for a university hall of residence or rent a house in the city you cannot be considered to be living outside BA1 or BA2 (plus even if you are resident outside of those postcodes the university does not have to offer you a parking permit - it's likely to do so if it has space in the car park but if there is no space in the car park then it has no obligations).

As for "very good reason", that pretty much comes down to having a significant disability of one form or another which makes you unable to use public transport easily. You can email the university but from my understanding of the rules it is unlikely that your request would be granted here unless there is more information I do not know.

The answer here is that government regulations mean you cannot bring your car to university whilst living in a first year hall of residence. It cannot happen, end of story.

The only real advice I can offer is that the train will be your best bet if you opt for a hall of residence. In such a situation you cannot bring your car. What I would say though is that it is very natural to be homesick or concerned about it. A very large number of university students go through precisely this when they leave home for the first time. The university is well used to dealing with it and will help you in every way possible. You'll be fine though - you'll be able to use the train when you need to and maybe in time you'll find you enjoy the experience so much you start staying for longer periods anyway :smile:

Best of luck with your studies!
Hi, I know this thread is very old now but I’m hoping to go to bath next year and was wondering if anyone recently has found a good solution for parking their car. I’d really like to be able to just drive to places for days out and to go home so I don’t feel stuck in one place and can do things on my own agenda. Paying a reasonable price is ok with me, just nothing extortionate and I want to be sure my cars safe. Thanks

Latest