The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GreenandWhyte
Got an offer for the Gateway programme where I will essentially need to achieve ABBBB over my 2 sittings of Scottish Highers, did a good personal statement though and live in a "deprived" area

Hi, did you apply straight up for the gateway programme or did you apply for the normal programme then get offered the gateway programme instead?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Lauraclassics
thanks!! I was worried because my offer has been unconditional for over 3 weeks now and I was wondering when they usually send these emails, but I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer :smile:

That's what I thought too at first, but on their accommodation FAQ they put that once the SA email account is activated, every information would be sent there ( https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/accommodation/ug/faqs/ ). But I think you're right because it seems like I should be able to see it on the same page I applied, and as long as I don't have the entrant email, they'll probably send it directly to my email.

mine took 5 weeks so don't worry :smile:
What are the most competitive courses at St. Andrews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Physics students of St Andrews, is there a lot of programming involved in the course?
I'm kind of confused about degree structure.. I've read that most students take modules from 2/3 subjects in their first and second years, to a total of 120 credits per year. If I want to end with a single honours degree in Biology (BSc) could I take modules from both Computer Science and Arabic (I know its a strange combo) in my first and second years? Or if I wanted to end with an honours in Biology with a minor in Arabic, could I still take modules from Computer Science in my first and second years (and would I study Arabic all the way through or just in last two years)? :smile:
I've been looking into universities and I was wondering what made you (current students) choose St Andrews?
On isaint is it necessary to fill in your bank details?
Reply 9327
Original post by enna.burning
I'm kind of confused about degree structure.. I've read that most students take modules from 2/3 subjects in their first and second years, to a total of 120 credits per year. If I want to end with a single honours degree in Biology (BSc) could I take modules from both Computer Science and Arabic (I know its a strange combo) in my first and second years? Or if I wanted to end with an honours in Biology with a minor in Arabic, could I still take modules from Computer Science in my first and second years (and would I study Arabic all the way through or just in last two years)? :smile:

You can do those modules in 1st year if (a) there are no timetable clashes and (b) you have the prerequisite school qualifications (if any) for the modules.

Biology with Arabic involves 40 credits/yr of arabic in 1st and 2nd year and 30 credits/yr in 3rd and 4th.
Is St Andrews highly dominated by upper class students from private schools, if so does this cause much of a divide socially or in terms of participation? (I'm from a working class family and attended state schools)
Also as someone from London, do you think the geographical location will be a big shock (in terms of shops and clubs) and does its size limit opportunities, in comparison to somewhere like Edinburgh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How does one decide what modules to take? I want to do economics Bsc but I dont understand the 1000-2000-3000-4000- level modules. Are there complusary core modules? essentially do you get to create your own timetable, if so when?
Original post by kimberry50
How does one decide what modules to take? I want to do economics Bsc but I dont understand the 1000-2000-3000-4000- level modules. Are there complusary core modules? essentially do you get to create your own timetable, if so when?

I'm doing neither of these subjects, but I can tell you that these levels represent the years. If you're going into year 1, you'll need to choose level 1000 modules. You choose them in the summer online. Then one of the requirements of matriculation (=officially becoming a student) is to meet with your advisor in the first week and finalise your options. They'll check that your choices are sensible and there are no clashes. You'll find out who your advisor is in the summer too. Hope that helped!
Original post by LillyB14
Is St Andrews highly dominated by upper class students from private schools, if so does this cause much of a divide socially or in terms of participation? (I'm from a working class family and attended state schools)
Also as someone from London, do you think the geographical location will be a big shock (in terms of shops and clubs) and does its size limit opportunities, in comparison to somewhere like Edinburgh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't met a proper rich person yet, dissapointed with the lack of moet tbh.

In all honesty though, St Andrews isn't at all dominated by the upper class. Sure, if you want to hang out in those circles you can find them, but its a really diverse place both culturally and economically. Maybe its because I'm in Andrew Melville (which is one of the cheaper halls) but most people are well ... normal, and I've heard absolutely no stories about discrimination due to class.

I come from a small town anyway so I'm not sure how it compares to London, but people make it out to be much smaller than it is. If you want to go to massive raves then maybe its not the place for you, but there's an incredible amount of stuff going on (loads of live music) and great pubs. There's also quite a lot of shops but not all the brands are represented, although whatever you don't have here you could probably easily get from Dundee.

St Andrews is the friendliest place I've known, and the uni is lovely. I would say to visit to see how you like it compared to Edinburgh (if that's your other choice) because I actually liked it a lot more.

Sorry for the long reply but hope this helped :smile:
Original post by Jelola
I've been looking into universities and I was wondering what made you (current students) choose St Andrews?

I met the heads of department for my course (Neuroscience) and they were lovely people, the course seemed great, the town was beautiful and everyone was super friendly. I'm honestly loving my time here so far.
Original post by Jelola

Doing compsci.
-department is great
-University is great
-love the town and atmosphere
-small so can walk everywhere
-does direct second year entry without a level computing ( Edinburgh and Glasgow accepted me only for first year, St Andrews did for second)
-great emphasis on employability and learning relevant compsci rather than maths
-seagulls. Seagulls everywhere
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ¡Muy bien!
Doing compsci.
-department is great
-University is great
-love the town and atmosphere
-small so can walk everywhere
-does direct second year entry without a level computing ( Edinburgh and Glasgow accepted me only for first year, St Andrews did for second)
-great emphasis on employability and learning relevant compsci rather than maths
-seagulls. Seagulls everywhere

Seagulls. Everywhere.

(Direct entry Physics student hi)
Original post by ombtom
Seagulls. Everywhere.

(Direct entry Physics student hi)

Hey!
Hey guys, i am thinking of applying to andews but i need to make a decision quick as my application needs to go out by 15th octoberI am an international applicatn from dubai

Current predicted A*A*A which might move to A*A*A*and an A in self studying AS further maths I talked to a st andrews representative that came to dubai and she was fantastic in explaning everything The only thing putting me off as putting st andrews is how isolated is the area and could you describe it a little what the atmosphere is like, i dont really want to go to an isolated area because it'll feel really odd from where i come from
also does the university have good connections with companies?
I was also wondering what this direct entry into second year is, does this mean i take one year less to finsih my masters? what are the advantages and disadvantages?
Original post by NatoHeadshot
I was also wondering what this direct entry into second year is, does this mean i take one year less to finsih my masters? what are the advantages and disadvantages?

With certain subjects, if you have sufficient knowledge of first year material or you're good enough, you can apply to go straight into the second year. You'll be a second year student studying second year modules, and subsequently finish your degree in 3 years rather than 4. If you also want to apply for an integrated master (like I did) which normally takes an extra year (5 years overall), you'll do only 4 years - 3 years course (normal years 2-4) + a year master (year 5). Hope the explanation is clear enough.

Regarding the subject scope: I'm doing computer science direct entry, there are 10 of us doing it this year. I know that maths and physics do it too (I personally know 4 of the maths students doing it), but there are probably other subjects accepting direct applications to the second year.

Advantages for me personally: I had previous compsci knowedge so going to first year could risk getting bored, second year direct entry is challenging but I enjoy it. Scotish students go to uni at 17, people studing in school till 18 often cover some of first years material in the last year of school so they know some already. Talked to my first year friend doing maths and he's doing things that I did in a level further maths in my last year.

Doing a year less but getting the same degree also saves you a years tuition+accommodation fees and living costs, as well as the time - finishing a year early means you can start working a year early and earning rather than owing money.
I was thinking of attempting to transfer to St Andrews for my third year. I study English Literature and my first year's grades were 2:1 (upper) and my high school grades were very high too. Is anyone here studying English at St Andrews to give me some information about it? Are you satisfied with the degree structure? Do you think I would have any chances with my grades?

Latest

Trending

Trending