The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Official University of Surrey Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hi - to everyone who is concerned about accommodation, we have information from our accommodation team that may clarify.

Insurance Students
Please note that we do have limited accommodation availability for those students who held the University as their insurance offer, please note that according to the University’s accommodation policy you are not guaranteed accommodation. In order to be considered for a University room, you need to apply for accommodation no later than Tuesday 23rd August 2016, online at www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation. In the event that we receive more applications than rooms available, then all students who applied will be entered into a lottery for available spaces. By Friday 26th August we will write to all students who put in an application to give them the outcome to their accommodation application.

Clearing Students
We regret to inform you that all University accommodation is currently full for the 2016/17 academic year. If you do need to find accommodation local to the University, then we are able to support you with your search. Advice and links on where to search for accommodation in the private sector are available on our website http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/private/, these give details of Guildford and other local towns where private accommodation can be found. Further support and information can be obtained via the Private Sector Team in Accommodation Services who can be contacted via [email protected] or at the following Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/571082443030715/
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 1661
Ive been offered a room in Manor Park and I had really wanted one on campus. Is there any way I can change this or would I have to look for someone to swap with? My worry with manor park is that it may not be as sociable as being on campus, and i wouldn't be able to pop by my room in between classes. Am i right in thinking this or could i be overreacting?
Hey! I now have received the confirmation of my offer meaning that I know hold an unconditional offer. As Surrey is my firm choice I wonder whether I have to accept this offer now or anything likewise.
Hi. I have a few questions. Firstly how do we do the pre-registration which is required before the university registration on 28 Sept.
Secondly what ID/password do we use and how do we register for the Surry365 email address, IT activation and timetables.
Lastly how do we register for unidays through the portal as its asking for ID and password which I've tried but does not work.
Thanks and sorry for so many questions 🙃
Original post by Anikasss
Hey! I now have received the confirmation of my offer meaning that I know hold an unconditional offer. As Surrey is my firm choice I wonder whether I have to accept this offer now or anything likewise.

Hello,

Congratulations on getting your place! If Surrey was your firm choice and you've met the requirements then you don't need to do anything else. If you wanted to chat to our admissions team just to confirm then you can get them on live chat here:*http://www.surrey.ac.uk/clearing*

We look forward to welcoming you in September! :smile:

Emma*
Original post by cikku
Ive been offered a room in Manor Park and I had really wanted one on campus. Is there any way I can change this or would I have to look for someone to swap with? My worry with manor park is that it may not be as sociable as being on campus, and i wouldn't be able to pop by my room in between classes. Am i right in thinking this or could i be overreacting?

Hello,

The Financier has given great advice - the accommodation team usually offer a room swap which will open in mid- end October. This way you'll have a couple of weeks in your allocated room to decide whether you actually do want to swap or not - you might find that Manor Park suits you better than you expected!

If you have any other questions let us know :smile:

Emma*
Original post by amino001
Hi. I have a few questions. Firstly how do we do the pre-registration which is required before the university registration on 28 Sept.
Secondly what ID/password do we use and how do we register for the Surry365 email address, IT activation and timetables.
Lastly how do we register for unidays through the portal as its asking for ID and password which I've tried but does not work.
Thanks and sorry for so many questions 🙃

Hello,*

No problem - ask away! Details of the online registration are here:*http://www.surrey.ac.uk/welcome/timetable#registration

You will need to know your University Number. Once you have registered your IT account will be enabled which includes access to your university email. *This might take 24-48 hours after registering so if it doesn't work immediately don't worry. *

The login details that you are given once you register will be used for all of your IT access across the university, and this is what you should be able to use to set up your Unidays account.
You can get your timetable for Welcome Week here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/welcome/ *You'll just need to put some details into the form at the top of the page.

You will be able to access your online subject timetable here: https://cgoauth.surrey.ac.uk/idp/Authn/UserPassword (using the same login details). I'm just going to find out for you when the subject timetables will be available so I will get back to you to confirm :smile:

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Emma
Original post by University of Surrey
Hello,*

No problem - ask away! Details of the online registration are here:*http://www.surrey.ac.uk/welcome/timetable#registration

You will need to know your University Number. Once you have registered your IT account will be enabled which includes access to your university email. *This might take 24-48 hours after registering so if it doesn't work immediately don't worry. *

The login details that you are given once you register will be used for all of your IT access across the university, and this is what you should be able to use to set up your Unidays account.
You can get your timetable for Welcome Week here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/welcome/ *You'll just need to put some details into the form at the top of the page.

You will be able to access your online subject timetable here: https://cgoauth.surrey.ac.uk/idp/Authn/UserPassword (using the same login details). I'm just going to find out for you when the subject timetables will be available so I will get back to you to confirm :smile:

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Emma

Cool Thanks A lot for your help
Hi there,

Is there a way of finding out who will be in the same accommodation as you, so it allows us to get to know each other before we move in?
Hi,
I'm going to be a first year in September. I'm going on holiday next week for two weeks and was wondering if I need to complete and return anything by post before starting my course or will it all be online?
Thank you
Original post by amino001
Cool Thanks A lot for your help

Hi again,

Just an update on your subject timetable - check to see whether it's there a few weeks before your course is due to start, and if you have any issues accessing it let me know, along with which course you are doing and I'll check it for you then :smile:

Emma*
Original post by Emmsybums
Hi there,

Is there a way of finding out who will be in the same accommodation as you, so it allows us to get to know each other before we move in?

Hello :smile:

We don't have a set way of you looking for your flatmates, however it might be worth having a look for forums on here or starting your own thread as students often find their housemates here.

Another way would be to look at the official University of Surrey Freshers' Facebook page and perhaps post something on the wall: https://www.facebook.com/officialsurreyfreshers/*

I hope this helps!

Emma*
Original post by LizzieB07
Hi,
I'm going to be a first year in September. I'm going on holiday next week for two weeks and was wondering if I need to complete and return anything by post before starting my course or will it all be online?
Thank you

Hi Lizzie,

As the ever knowledgeable Financier has said everything you need is on the Welcome Website :smile:

If you have your accommodation sorted then the only thing I would recommend doing is your online registration so that you have that all set up (this will also set up your IT account for you). *

Other than that just keep an eye on your emails in case of any updates but you should be good to go!

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/welcome/
Emma :smile: *
Hi again,

Just an update on your subject timetable - check to see whether it's there a few weeks before your course is due to start, and if you have any issues accessing it let me know, along with which course you are doing and I'll check it for you then :smile:

Emma*

Cool thanks a lot for you help. Really appreciate it 😊
Hi, I've checked the welcome page for my course (Economics and Mathematics), is the Background Mathematics test anything to be scared about? I finished my Maths A-Level a year ago and was wondering how the test is used, whether it'll be just to get a better perspective on what I'm like or whether it's a pass/fail test that could send me back home.

Thanks!
Original post by Micronex
Hi, I've checked the welcome page for my course (Economics and Mathematics), is the Background Mathematics test anything to be scared about? I finished my Maths A-Level a year ago and was wondering how the test is used, whether it'll be just to get a better perspective on what I'm like or whether it's a pass/fail test that could send me back home.

Thanks!

Hi, honestly, don't worry! Some of the courses have this during the first week, mainly so that the lecturers can get an understanding of where everyone is / what level they're at. We'll try to find out a little bit more about this for you on Monday to allay your fears :smile:

Jade
Hi,
I am an EU student. My place hasn’t been confirmed yet, I’ve uploaded all the necessary documents in the Applicant Portal, yet it says that the status is ‘Pending check’. When will my place be confirmed? I saw that you’ve started to send out room offers and I’m worried that there won’t be any band A rooms left and band A is the only room I can afford. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by ellie.a97
Hi,
I am an EU student. My place hasn’t been confirmed yet, I’ve uploaded all the necessary documents in the Applicant Portal, yet it says that the status is ‘Pending check’. When will my place be confirmed? I saw that you’ve started to send out room offers and I’m worried that there won’t be any band A rooms left and band A is the only room I can afford. Thanks! :smile:

Hi there, when did you upload the documents? The team have started checking through them, however they might not have got to you yet (there will be quite a high volume). If you still haven't heard anything by Monday and you're concerned, I'd recommend getting in touch via the hotline, as the team here will be best placed to advise: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/clearing the lines will be back open from 9am on Monday. :smile:
Hi!
I just got my AS grade on the 18th and i did not get the grades i wanted (ACD in Geography,Biology and Chemistry) and my target grade is BBB and I am part of the new 'Linear A-Level reform'. I want to apply for your Business and Management Course for 2017 but your entry requirements states AAA-AAB. I was just wondering if there is even a point of applying or getting a conditional offer at least? Thank you
Hi, honestly, don't worry! Some of the courses have this during the first week, mainly so that the lecturers can get an understanding of where everyone is / what level they're at. We'll try to find out a little bit more about this for you on Monday to allay your fears :smile:

Jade

That would be really helpful, thank you Jade!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending