The Student Room Group

Newcastle United Society Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Atletico full-back Jesus Gamez has been signed. Gosh, Rafa has some pulling power if he can convince someone to swap a Champions League final for the Championship

meanwhile Davide Santon could be the latest ex-Magpie to snake to Sunderland...
(edited 7 years ago)
We're looking so good. :coma:

Why couldn't we have done this a couple of years ago though ffs
We're putting one hell of a championship squad together, exciting times.

I still think we need to get rid of the bag eggs though, Sissoko, Gini and Janmaat have to go at least. I don't care if they're our 'big' players, for me the real start of the Benitez era is so positive that we don't need ******s in the squad to disrupt things.
"15 to 20 clubs interested in Adam Armstrong" apparently.

You can't imagine he'll go to another Championship club. Why would Rafa send away a potentially prolific, homegrown young talent? He has been linked with a move to Scotland, too, but would he want that? League One seems a logical step for him, if he can't get into the Newcastle side now you're making signings.

Potentially a Coventry return?*
Original post by Conzy210
We're putting one hell of a championship squad together, exciting times.

I still think we need to get rid of the bag eggs though, Sissoko, Gini and Janmaat have to go at least. I don't care if they're our 'big' players, for me the real start of the Benitez era is so positive that we don't need ******s in the squad to disrupt things.

Aye man we don't need them. If they want to go then get rid. That team posted above is gonna be more than good enough especially once we get a few more in. An interesting one for me will be De Jong though. Reckon he could be great in the Championship but does he want to stay and will there even be a role for him?

Re. Armstrong, I'd probably try and loan him to some run of the mill Championship side. He's proven himself in League One already, so a year older with that experience behind him you'd think he'd benefit stepping up a level. Another year in League One wouldn't hurt though tbh, or even the SPL. Just dont leave him stagnating on the bench all season that would be such a waste.
Original post by Mackay
"15 to 20 clubs interested in Adam Armstrong" apparently.

You can't imagine he'll go to another Championship club. Why would Rafa send away a potentially prolific, homegrown young talent? He has been linked with a move to Scotland, too, but would he want that? League One seems a logical step for him, if he can't get into the Newcastle side now you're making signings.

Potentially a Coventry return?*

Nope, would suspect a Premier League club. Kid's only on the up, why would he spend another season in League 1?

Isaac Hayden has signed for Newcastle from Arsenal.
Original post by richpanda
Nope, would suspect a Premier League club. Kid's only on the up, why would he spend another season in League 1?

Isaac Hayden has signed for Newcastle from Arsenal.

He wouldn't get near a PL club yet, though. Bear in mind Ajose scored more goals than Armstrong in L1 last year, and he's just moved to the Championship.
After last night I've even more adamant that Sissoko needs to **** off. Luckily we'll probably be able to rob a club like Liverpool of £30million for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Conzy210
After last night I've even more adamant that Sissoko needs to **** off. Luckily we'll probably be able to rob a club like Liverpool of £30million for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't believe he was the same player, to be honest.
Gini in the squad tonight but seems close to a move to Liverpool.

If we get £25m for him good ****ing riddance. Talented yes, but a complete bottler who was anonymous 95% of the time. It's players like him which got us relegated, talent but no backbone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Annoying to see that many Newcastle players began to play well when we got relegated.

My hope is for us to get big bucks for the players, who want to leave. Benitez can use the money to build a more refined squad.
We've met Diame's release clause and he's on his way to Newcastle seemingly.

Feel like we're replacing Sissoko with another Sissoko? Talented but inconsistent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just want Sissoko to leave now. Diame would be a good replacement, I've always rated him but yeah he can be inconsistent as well. At least he'll want to be here though. 9 goals from 38 for Hull last season is a pretty solid return too.
Yeah I wish he'd **** off, can imagine he's in a right strop that there hasn't even been a concrete bid for him.

But yeah, Diame will be a very good signing for the championship and anyone willing to take the step down for us I'm 100% behind. Also, we've met Ciaran Clark's release clause as well and should sign him in the next couple of days, not really sure on that one...
Don't know much about Clarke tbh, from what I've read though Villa fans don't really seem to rate him too highly. We need numbers in at the back I suppose and he's got a fair bit of PL experience now. Can play CB or LB, maybe/hopefully he'll be a step up from Dummett.
I've 100% changed my mind as Villa's batshit new owner has lost the plot on Twitter over us signing Clark, leading to Villa fans losing the plot also.

That in itself is worth £5m

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so excited haha. Really hope we lay a marker down here but think it will be a tough game.
Original post by scriggy
Don't know much about Clarke tbh, from what I've read though Villa fans don't really seem to rate him too highly. We need numbers in at the back I suppose and he's got a fair bit of PL experience now. Can play CB or LB, maybe/hopefully he'll be a step up from Dummett.

We waited on him to come good for a number of years, but he was inconsistent and therefore never really cemented himself in our starting 11. He was far from our worst defender though, currently, or at any point since he was promoted to the senior squad. He could do well for you, certainly at this level, but not too many Villa fans will be bothered that he's left.

Watching your game now. Looking forward to this season!
Either Benitez has a lot of work to do, or "don't worry guys, Fulham away was always a tough fixture for Newcastle" :tongue:
Hahaha some things never change, such a shame as the atmosphere pre-game was insane

We'll still be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest