The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

I failed my first test before I went to uni and then again before my second year (without a year of driving). So then I didn't bother as, as a student i couldn't really afford it. Now I graduated from uni in July 2015, so I thought I start learning again (in March 2016, after 2 years of not driving at all, as the public transport at home is non existent (nearest bus stop is a mile away). Had another test on Tuesday and failed . I feel an injustice this time though, as I got 3 minors for the same thing (that was all I failed for!. Apparently I was going too slowly around a housing estate (30 limit) I was doing 20-25 as I believe that is sensible as cars were parked up one side and kids could walk out between them! As this part of he test was lengthy i got 3 minors for it . NOTE: there were no cars behind me so wasn't holding traffic up. Passed the manoeuvre, examiner said observations were excellent. Starting to depress me as its harming my job prospects too due the non existent public transport plus at 22 I feel embaressed, especially as all my sisters friends who are 17 can drive I have booked another test though for September as my instructor feels the issues will be fixed especially as he thought i would have passed on Tuesday.Plus, it would make life so much easier when I start my Masters degree in September, and one less thing to worry about so hopefully I'll pass next. Not sure what ill do if I don't. Apologies for any errors, typing this on my phone.
Original post by Spock's Socks
Anyone have their tests coming up soon? :smile: I think I remember one persons test being at the end of July

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup got mine next month :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My test is in a week and I turn into such a nervous mess doing mock tests with my instructor. The worst part is I know I can drive decently as my dad takes me out all the time in my car with no major issues, and sometimes my boyfriend sits in as well and I feel really relaxed and confident chatting to them at the same time, but as soon as I know someone is scrutinising me to pass to their standards I make the stupidest mistakes. The most annoying part is I see and know many people who are evidently worse drivers than me who have passed. : /

I also panic doing manoeuvres and roundabouts if anyone's waiting for me to get moving - I rush and make dumb errors. Parallel and bay parking are probably the worst at the moment. Huge, multi-lane roundabouts are really common test routes for my centre so they're unavoidable, but I seem to do okay when I'm not being nitpicked for them. I think I'm just getting frustrated with being a learner after about a year of driving as it seems I do better when left to my own devices and when I have to work things out for myself. Hopefully this means I'll do okay on my test as I'll be left to my own judgements. Fingers crossed. :sad:
Original post by 1004v
My test is in a week and I turn into such a nervous mess doing mock tests with my instructor. The worst part is I know I can drive decently as my dad takes me out all the time in my car with no major issues, and sometimes my boyfriend sits in as well and I feel really relaxed and confident chatting to them at the same time, but as soon as I know someone is scrutinising me to pass to their standards I make the stupidest mistakes. The most annoying part is I see and know many people who are evidently worse drivers than me who have passed. : /

I also panic doing manoeuvres and roundabouts if anyone's waiting for me to get moving - I rush and make dumb errors. Parallel and bay parking are probably the worst at the moment. Huge, multi-lane roundabouts are really common test routes for my centre so they're unavoidable, but I seem to do okay when I'm not being nitpicked for them. I think I'm just getting frustrated with being a learner after about a year of driving as it seems I do better when left to my own devices and when I have to work things out for myself. Hopefully this means I'll do okay on my test as I'll be left to my own judgements. Fingers crossed. :sad:

Aw hopefully all of the silly mistakes will be out of your system by the time you take your test :smile: and good luck for next week :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1004v

Aw hopefully all of the silly mistakes will be out of your system by the time you take your test :smile: and good luck for next week :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Started the left turn last lesson, did about 20 minutes doing it. Came back to it today and had 3 goes, nailed it each time. Pretty pleasing.

So far there are two minor things that i struggle a bit with

1) Stopping to close to the lights and being unsure which other lights are mine. Pretty annoying
2) Main struggle is my foot getting to high on the clutch particularly when creeping forward. It becomes uncomfortable and makes my clutch control difficult
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Started the left turn last lesson, did about 20 minutes doing it. Came back to it today and had 3 goes, nailed it each time. Pretty pleasing.

So far there are two minor things that i struggle a bit with

1) Stopping to close to the lights and being unsure which other lights are mine. Pretty annoying
2) Main struggle is my foot getting to high on the clutch particularly when creeping forward. It becomes uncomfortable and makes my clutch control difficult

Ah that's good :smile:

Ah yeah know what you mean with your foot being high on the clutch, I sometimes find it uncomfortable and awkward :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
Ah that's good :smile:

Ah yeah know what you mean with your foot being high on the clutch, I sometimes find it uncomfortable and awkward :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah defo my biggest bug bear :angry: ha
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Yeah defo my biggest bug bear :angry: ha

Aw :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had about 12 hours of lessons.

I struggle with choosing the right speed and gear to approach junctions, roundabouts, turnings, etc. I'm very, very bad at knowing when it's safe to enter a roundabout so my instinct is to always slow way too much on approach even when it's obviously safe to go, and my instructor gets frustrated at me for slowing too much. Roundabouts especially just set me into a panic where my ability to reason quickly just shuts down. Luckily my instructor takes control of steering when I hesitate too much and usually tells me exactly what to do when.

But ugh, I hate learning to drive. My next lesson's tomorrow morning, at rush hour. That'll be fun :/
Reply 410
Roundabouts approach in gear 2, if safe carry on if not safe then gear 1 and stop.
Reply 411
Yup got mine next month :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh not long now! :eek: How you feeling about your test?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooh not long now! :eek: How you feeling about your test?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope not long at all, 8 days away now :colondollar:! Honestly I feel ok about it at the moment, think when test day arrives the nerves might kick in then :redface:! I feel excited that it's close now :smile:! When's your test? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had a lesson today, just before my lesson ended my instructor got me to do the turn in the road, literally after I looked over my right shoulder and moved the car to the over side of the road, an old man driving past (he was behind me and he wasn't there before) started beeping as he drove past. The idiot had enough room to get past and I was like really -.- but apparently people who live down the road that I did the manoeuvre on have complained about instructors taking their students down that road, think my instructor said something about because they basically speed down that road. But it was just like everyone who drives was a learner once, no need to beep at people who are learning to drive -.- it wasn't like I was in his way anyway the idiot. But my instructor basically told me not to worry about it anyway :redface: but still too many impatient idiot drivers about :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 414
Nope not long at all, 8 days away now :colondollar:! Honestly I feel ok about it at the moment, think when test day arrives the nerves might kick in then :redface:! I feel excited that it's close now :smile:! When's your test? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey sorry I missed this, been on holiday and then TSR notifications weren't working for a few days :frown:

Nerves kicking in yet? :tongue: I'm sure you are going to pass first time around and remember to keep us updated :hugs: mine was meant to be 11th Aug but I ended up cancelling my test last month. With my papa being ill atm and then I've had psychologist appts and things like that, driving has took a bit of a back seat (no pun intended lol) atm. I'm still doing lessons every fortnight but I'll need to start getting them more regularly again as I want to pass or at least sit my test before Christmas but we will see how things go. I'll keep the thread updated with my progress, or lack of :tongue:
Reply 415
My second test is coming up soon :eek: Im already getting nervous, but i should be having at least a couple lessons before the test

Should be having a lesson tomorrow to go through all the manoeuvres and maybe the roundabouts but we'll see. I hope i pass second time but if i dont, i will be booking another test asap
Hey sorry I missed this, been on holiday and then TSR notifications weren't working for a few days :frown:

Nerves kicking in yet? :tongue: I'm sure you are going to pass first time around and remember to keep us updated :hugs: mine was meant to be 11th Aug but I ended up cancelling my test last month. With my papa being ill atm and then I've had psychologist appts and things like that, driving has took a bit of a back seat (no pun intended lol) atm. I'm still doing lessons every fortnight but I'll need to start getting them more regularly again as I want to pass or at least sit my test before Christmas but we will see how things go. I'll keep the thread updated with my progress, or lack of :tongue:

It's alright :smile:
Nope still feel calm right now :smile: :tongue: hope so too :smile: and yep I will do :biggrin:! Aw :hugs: hope he feels ok soon :smile: ah fair enough :smile: yeah see how it all goes :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fkx
My second test is coming up soon :eek: Im already getting nervous, but i should be having at least a couple lessons before the test

Should be having a lesson tomorrow to go through all the manoeuvres and maybe the roundabouts but we'll see. I hope i pass second time but if i dont, i will be booking another test asap

Aw hope you pass this time round :smile: and I think you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I struggle most with anticipating what other road users are doing and judging busy roundabouts, I feel like im getting better but I just dont think ill ever be good enough im desperate to drive though so im not going to give up.
Reply 419
Aw hope you pass this time round :smile: and I think you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, i hope i do but I'm thinking it that I don't pass this time, Im just going to book another test asap.

How are you feeling about yours? Is it your first time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending