The Student Room Group

Uni courses in Clearing revealed for 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pewdiepig
Please tell me wat its like in adjustment. Do I basically apply for the available clearing courses?

TSR article here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15539-Changing-university-via-adjustment-what-you-need-to-know

For Adjustment must have EXCEEDED the grades required for your FIrm. You can phone Unis and get a definite offer before you let go of your Firm.

But - even if you have achieved above your offer, so what. Your Firm is the Uni you have dreamt of going to for the last 6 months+, you have accom. set up and understand the Uni and the course. You wont achieve anything 'better' via Adjustment - higher grade requirement does not equal better course or better Uni, or better student experience. Most people seem to realise this - and the numbers going through Adjustment are always tiny. If you do get wonder-grades then its actually a much better idea to take a gap year and reapply - that way you get to go to Open Days, research the course properly and be certain the new Uni/course really is what you want.
Reply 201
Hello everyone, I have doubt in mind, that's really troubling me, I've been thinking on trying with clearing, but I've got a lot of question, first of all for instance, can I use clearing to get into the university even though I haven't applied in the first place? second of all, given that this is my first time ever, what should I expect about calling the universities, what should I prepare before calling?? are they going to ask me simple question like why do you want this course?, or maybe more technical questions, live math related questions in my case (I'd like to study computer games technology), every response is really appreciated

thank you very much again
Original post by Jumph96
Hello everyone, I have doubt in mind, that's really troubling me, I've been thinking on trying with clearing, but I've got a lot of question, first of all for instance, can I use clearing to get into the university even though I haven't applied in the first place? second of all, given that this is my first time ever, what should I expect about calling the universities, what should I prepare before calling?? are they going to ask me simple question like why do you want this course?, or maybe more technical questions, live math related questions in my case (I'd like to study computer games technology), every response is really appreciated

IF you're considering clearing then you will still need to apply through UCAS (with a personal statement and a reference) - so it's a good idea to get that sorted out ASAP so that when the main vacancies are advertised in August you're ready to apply.

On your first phone call they'll ask very boring questions about your qualifications, grades and what courses you're interested in. After that you might get a call back from someone to ask about your interest in the course (or you might just get an offer - they'll be able to see your PS and that might be enough).
Original post by Jumph96

Also have a read through some of the TSR Clearing articles here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4574-clearing-adjustment
Reply 204
Original post by PQ
IF you're considering clearing then you will still need to apply through UCAS (with a personal statement and a reference) - so it's a good idea to get that sorted out ASAP so that when the main vacancies are advertised in August you're ready to apply.

On your first phone call they'll ask very boring questions about your qualifications, grades and what courses you're interested in. After that you might get a call back from someone to ask about your interest in the course (or you might just get an offer - they'll be able to see your PS and that might be enough).

well honestly speaking the situation is a little more complicated than the one it seemed I wrote because I came from italy I graduated from high school there, and they have a completely different grade system, do you thing that this can be seen by them as an obstacle ? because of the school system, closer than the one here in uk I haven't had the opportunity to achieve more qualifications than the high school diploma itself, do you think that they're willing to understand the situation and try to be more... clement?
Original post by Jumph96
well honestly speaking the situation is a little more complicated than the one it seemed I wrote because I came from italy I graduated from high school there, and they have a completely different grade system, do you thing that this can be seen by them as an obstacle ? because of the school system, closer than the one here in uk I haven't had the opportunity to achieve more qualifications than the high school diploma itself, do you think that they're willing to understand the situation and try to be more... clement?

UK universities know and understand qualifications from other countries - they're still only likely to admit you if you have the qualifications that are required to do well on the course concerned.

Only universities themselves can comment on whether your qualifications would be suitable - start putting together your UCAS application (you will NEED a reference and a personal statement) and contact universities you're interested in informally to ask about your chances of a place.
Reply 206
Original post by PQ
UK universities know and understand qualifications from other countries - they're still only likely to admit you if you have the qualifications that are required to do well on the course concerned.

Only universities themselves can comment on whether your qualifications would be suitable - start putting together your UCAS application (you will NEED a reference and a personal statement) and contact universities you're interested in informally to ask about your chances of a place.

thank you very much, I'll try with the clearing, I'll prepare the personal statement and ask my ex-professor to write the reference for me, hopefully, I gonna be starting this year, otherwise I'll apply for the next year
thank you again
Greetings,

Wondering if y'all might be able to help a lost and confused Yank. I'm what you might call a "mature student" -- I'm 24 years old, and I graduated from high school in the US in 2010. I studied at a top American university for three semesters from 2011-2013, but I left (with a mediocre 3.5 GPA) as the school was not a great fit for me.

I applied to Trinity College in Dublin (I'm aware that Ireland and the UK have different application systems -- just explaining my backstory), with the erroneous assumption that the strength of my high school grades and scores (2310 on SATs, seven 5s, etc.) would earn me a spot. This was not the case, as I found out today -- my application was "unsuccessful," which was somehow not as painful as being "rejected."

ANYWAYS, I've been scrambling over the past few hours to see what I can find about UK universities and the possibility of studying at one this upcoming academic year. I found out about the clearing process, which is quite nifty and foreign to this foreigner. I'm wondering if it's worth my time to apply through UCAS. Also wondering if anyone knows if UK universities will consider my high school record and/or my university record. Essentially, I'd love to hear any advice that y'all have. By the way, I'm considering English Literature as a course of study.

Thanks so much!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by idoimbuemyblue
Greetings,

Wondering if y'all might be able to help a lost and confused Yank. I'm what you might call a "mature student" -- I'm 24 years old, and I graduated from high school in the US in 2010. I studied at a top American university for three semesters from 2011-2013, but I left (with a mediocre 3.5 GPA) as the school was not a great fit for me.

I applied to Trinity College in Dublin (I'm aware that Ireland and the UK have different application systems -- just explaining my backstory), with the erroneous assumption that the strength of my high school grades and scores (2310 on SATs, seven 5s, etc.) would earn me a spot. This was not the case, as I found out today -- my application was "unsuccessful," which was somehow not as painful as being "rejected."

ANYWAYS, I've been scrambling over the past few hours to see what I can find about UK universities and the possibility of studying at one this upcoming academic year. I found out about the clearing process, which is quite nifty and foreign to this foreigner. I'm wondering if it's worth my time to apply through UCAS. Also wondering if anyone knows if UK universities will consider my high school record and/or my university record. Essentially, I'd love to hear any advice that y'all have. By the way, I'm considering English Literature as a course of study.

Thanks so much!

Hi there!

Nearly all universities will recognise international qualifications, so yes your high school grades should be recognised. I'm sure your previous study at university will add something to your application too - especially if it is a top university, as you say.

Clearing is a great process and you should be able to find a university and a course that suits, so yes apply through UCAS. You can't apply to universities via any other way in the UK.

Be warned that top universities don't often get involved with clearing.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by computationchive
Hi there!

Nearly all universities will recognise international qualifications, so yes your high school grades should be recognised. I'm sure your previous study at university will add something to your application too - especially if it is a top university, as you say.

Clearing is a great process and you should be able to find a university and a course that suits, so yes apply through UCAS. You can't apply to universities via any other way in the UK.

Be warned that top universities don't often get involved with clearing.

Good luck! :smile:

Hey, thanks for the response! I really appreciate it.

Another question I had -- I've been on the UCAS website and looked through the universities participating in clearing for my program -- happy to see that there are plenty of great options. If I submit this week, will the universities review and notify on a rolling basis, or is there a specific date when we'll hear back?
Original post by idoimbuemyblue
Hey, thanks for the response! I really appreciate it.

Another question I had -- I've been on the UCAS website and looked through the universities participating in clearing for my program -- happy to see that there are plenty of great options. If I submit this week, will the universities review and notify on a rolling basis, or is there a specific date when we'll hear back?

I'm not entirely sure but this video seems to explain it nicely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DWbc1G_sJQ
So, come results day and you find yourself in Clearing. Here's the scenario....

You have perhaps researched 3 or 4 alternative Uniiversities that are available through Clearing and you begin to ring around. All the lines are busy in the morning of results day except for one Uni ....that's Ok but isn't really your first choice on your list but they are dead keen and make you an offer......so what happens?? Do you have to make a definitive stop / go decision and honour the offer regardless....or perhaps can you continue trying to ring around and hope your first or second choice offer you something later in the day....and then ' do the deal' over the phone and enter the relevant course on Track after 3pm?

How does it all work?

Thanks
Original post by She-Ra
The UCAS course finder continues to be updated with Clearing places for September 2016

http://search.ucas.com/

Join the discussion here :cookie:

Have a question about Clearing in general? Post it here :h:

My question is, "if i apply to university Y for course X and am rejected but course X is placed in clearing for university Y can I re-apply for course X at university Y?"

:ta:
Original post by Jassy16
My question is, "if i apply to university Y for course X and am rejected but course X is placed in clearing for university Y can I re-apply for course X at university Y?"

:ta:

No. They will have considered all aspects of your application and decided they don't want you. If you were rejected without being given an offer, they didn't like your application enough even to take a gamble on giving you a conditional offer. If you had an offer and were rejected after results, it means that they considered you in the time between them getting your results and you getting them, which is nearly a week, and still decided they didn't want you. Don't waste your time. Get onto other places in Clearing that will consider you.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No. They will have considered all aspects of your application and decided they don't want you. If you were rejected without being given an offer, they didn't like your application enough even to take a gamble on giving you a conditional offer. If you had an offer and were rejected after results, it means that they considered you in the time between them getting your results and you getting them, which is nearly a week, and still decided they didn't want you. Don't waste your time. Get onto other places in Clearing that will consider you.

what if it was on the basis of grades not being high enough, but after results a person exceeds the necessary requirements?
Original post by Jassy16
what if it was on the basis of grades not being high enough, but after results a person exceeds the necessary requirements?

You can call and ask, but don't expect to get anywhere. They could have taken a chance on you by giving you a conditional offer higher than your predicted grades on the off chance, but they didn't. You don't know it was just grades that made them reject you, either.
Original post by Lilly1234567890
I think i will be use clearing this year. what do you think i should do now? Just keep looking at the UCAS search finder? even if i do find a course i'm interested in- i cant do anything right now. i have to wait till results day right?

No, you can contact the universities and speak to admissions tutors about "the art of the possible", even if you'll not get a firm offer prior to results day. If you have a flick through t'interweb you will see that many actively encourage it. They would rather have someone with a real interest in their course/university than someone seeking any port in a storm on results day. You've even got time to fit in a crafty visit to the one you fancy most.That way you can have a favourite and back up, and know you tick all their boxes, when you hit speed dial at sparrow's cough on results day - while most others are still running round like headless chickens.Never forget the 5 P's: Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance!Good luck.
Original post by Jassy16

If you really want to go to that Uni / course then take a gap year and reapply with a different PS.
Original post by Quick_look_busy
So, come results day and you find yourself in Clearing. Here's the scenario....

You have perhaps researched 3 or 4 alternative Uniiversities that are available through Clearing and you begin to ring around. All the lines are busy in the morning of results day except for one Uni ....that's Ok but isn't really your first choice on your list but they are dead keen and make you an offer......so what happens?? Do you have to make a definitive stop / go decision and honour the offer regardless....or perhaps can you continue trying to ring around and hope your first or second choice offer you something later in the day....and then ' do the deal' over the phone and enter the relevant course on Track after 3pm?

How does it all work?

Thanks

Nothing is official until you add your single choice on Track.

You should play the field as much as possible and have as many informal offers as possible before adding a choice. Pay attention to the small print on any emailed informal offer - some have deadlines others just say ASAP.
Reply 219
Original post by PQ

Sorry to bother you again :smile:, I just wondering if you could answer a quick question, let's assume for a second that I might not get an offer from the university, and I decide to re-apply for the next year, can I use the same personal statement and the same reference, for the application, or I need to start over again?

Quick Reply

Latest