The Student Room Group

Mobile Suit Gundam Metaseries Discussion Thread

Mobile Suit Gundam Metaseries Discussion Thread

From Wikipedia
The Gundam Series is a metaseries of anime created by Sunrise studios that features giant robots (or "mecha") called "Mobile Suits" (MS); usually the protagonist's MS will carry the name Gundam. The metaseries started on April 7, 1979 as a serial TV show called Mobile Suit Gundam. That first TV series has since spawned a franchise that has come to include works released in numerous media. Titles have appeared in the form of multiple television series and OVAs, movies, manga, novels and video games, among other modes. The story from the original 1979 series has been considerably extended with sequels, prequels, side stories and alternate timelines. As a result, the title Gundam has become a collective term for the seven distinct but related timelines that can be pieced together from the stories that appear in the Gundam franchise. Generally speaking, the timelines do not intersect, but they do contain a few common elements such as the titular war machines called Gundam.

But these series are much more than giant robots fighting each other.:nah: There's the politics, the factions, humanity's future in space, and the characters who are all caught up in a bitter war in space and on the earth which they can not escape.:s-smilie:

The timelines are:

Universal Century

Future Century

After Colony

After War

Correct Century

Cosmic Era

Anno Domini

Post about anything to do with any of the numerous gundam series or timelines here.:cool:

Keep Anything spoileriffic in spoiler tags.:hmmm:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, where do I begin?... I've watched practically everything from the Gundam franchise over the years (according to A-P, 50 titles), with 0079 serving as one of the first anime series I've seen back in 94 to 95.

Suffice to say, it's an incredibly iconic anime franchise that has become, in a way, an intrinsic part of Japanese popular culture, and is primarily responsible for establishing the mecha genre.

I haven't got a definitive favourite as I've enjoyed all of them for different reasons, even the much loathed Seed Destiny. I'm currently enjoying Unicorn and am awaiting episode 4. :smile:
Reply 2
Ive really only scratched the surface:erm: having previously only seen wing and 00, but recently(ish) getting into UC. Really didnt think Id like the original as much as I did.:redface: Part of it was that the main characters were mostly all ordinary people thrown into a situation just trying to survive everyday.:s-smilie: As opposed to 00 and wing where I imagine they had been trained for years and knew what they were doing.:tongue: But the one year war was so developed with all these events happening and a proper time line almost like an actual conflict.:s-smilie: And then there's char... the masked man... with his own hidden goals manipulating events into his favour.:s-smilie: Oh and the zaku :teeth: such a cool design, all those smooth curved surfaces and the fact unlike the gundams actually looks like its made for war.:giggle: And then char's red version :drool: because camouflage is for cowards.:giggle:
Reply 3
Original post by vin
Ive really only scratched the surface:erm: having previously only seen wing and 00, but recently(ish) getting into UC. Really didnt think Id like the original as much as I did.:redface: Part of it was that the main characters were mostly all ordinary people thrown into a situation just trying to survive everyday.:s-smilie: As opposed to 00 and wing where I imagine they had been trained for years and knew what they were doing.:tongue: But the one year war was so developed with all these events happening and a proper time line almost like an actual conflict.:s-smilie: And then there's char... the masked man... with his own hidden goals manipulating events into his favour.:s-smilie: Oh and the zaku :teeth: such a cool design, all those smooth curved surfaces and the fact unlike the gundams actually looks like its made for war.:giggle: And then char's red version :drool: because camouflage is for cowards.:giggle:

From what I can remember, UC placed a much larger emphasis on realism (especially 08th MS Team) whereas this was less apparent, sometimes nonexistent, with later installments. This is perhaps reflexive of the modern day anime where the characters seem to possess an unwavering adaptability to what's happening around them, and largely why anime that doesn't take this for granted such as those from UC and other series away from Gundam like NGE are noted for this.
Reply 4

Original post by Aiko
From what I can remember, UC placed a much larger emphasis on realism (especially 08th MS Team) whereas this was less apparent, sometimes nonexistent, with later installments. This is perhaps reflexive of the modern day anime where the characters seem to possess an unwavering adaptability to what's happening around them, and largely why anime that doesn't take this for granted such as those from UC and other series away from Gundam like NGE are noted for this.
wing was particularly daft in this regard :erm: bending prison bars with your bare hands :wtf: come on now.

Going by what ive heard and odd images Ive seen, Im assuming G gundam is some kind of comedy.:erm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Gundam! :love:

I've watched a fair amount over the years, and currently have Turn A, Victory, X & G on standby (especially looking forward to G Gundam - Windmill Gundam, Tequilla Gundam & Gundam with cape riding a unicorn, these are things I need in my life!)

I'm really loving the Unicorn OVAs - really gorgeous animation, and its great to get back to the UC timeline.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by caraniel
Gundam! :love:

I've watched a fair amount over the years, and currently have Turn A, Victory, X & G on standby (especially looking forward to G Gundam - Windmill Gundam, Tequilla Gundam & Gundam with cape riding a unicorn, these are things I need in my life!)

I'm really loving the Unicorn OVAs - really gorgeous animation, and its great to get back to the UC timeline.

G gundam really is a comedy :lolwut: http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/g/gf13-049nm.htm ..from neo mexico and it has a sombrero :lolwut:

Im leaving unicorn till i get through all the previous UC stuff:sadnod:
Great thread. Watched everything since Gundam Wing apart from Gundam X which I stopped after a few episodes, got bored. I enjoyed the opening more than the anime :teehee: I also like the art style because it's very very similar to Gundam Wings.
I've seen Wing, Seed/Destiny and 00. All were pretty cool, though the drama in S/D was just a little bit tiring.

I feel like I'm missing something by not watching the UC series, going to have to get onto that when I have a bit more time.
Reply 9
Ive not seen the MS Gundam dub but this speech is awesome :zomg:
I've had Turn A Gundam and Victory Gundam on my want to watch list for a long time now, and recently added After War Gundam X (nope, I'm not taking these in any logical order, apart from maybe my current bias towards 90s shows :giggle:). I lost Gundam 00 when my hard drive went up though. :frown: As for ones I've already seen, only 08th MS Team so far, which was awesome. :biggrin:

Nice to know I'll have somewhere dedicated to post when I finally get around to them, anyway. :yes:
Reply 11
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Original post by AngryJellyfish
I've had Turn A Gundam and Victory Gundam on my want to watch list for a long time now, and recently added After War Gundam X (nope, I'm not taking these in any logical order, apart from maybe my current bias towards 90s shows :giggle:). I lost Gundam 00 when my hard drive went up though. :frown: As for ones I've already seen, only 08th MS Team so far, which was awesome. :biggrin:

Nice to know I'll have somewhere dedicated to post when I finally get around to them, anyway. :yes:

watch the original :hmmm:
Original post by vin
watch the original :hmmm:

I saw the first episode a week ago at Aberanime's 'History of Mech' screening, it seemed like it would be a good series, but I'd have to get hold of it first.
Are they still on Gundam Unicorn? And hows that going, haven't watched it since first episode back in September :sigh:
Reply 14
Original post by yoyo462001
Are they still on Gundam Unicorn? And hows that going, haven't watched it since first episode back in September :sigh:

its being released very slowly, but Im not watching it till I get through more of the previous universal century series :yes:
Reply 15
Toonami. Back in the day. :moon:
Reply 16
I've hardly seen any Gundam. Seed/Destiny and 00 (s2 as well) need to watch the film for 00 it's on my drive just have not got around to it yet.
Reply 17
The Gundam 00 movie is the best comedy film I've seen in a very long time!
Reply 18
Indeed it was very entertaining :mmm:
Reply 19
:s-smilie: Somone on facebook was talking about watching star dust memory and that it was good but no zeta. I wanted to say I preferred it to zeta becuse it didnt have any stupid young people making idiotic decisions and was cool and all since it was like gundam top gun ...also gato is :cool:

walking straight into a federation base and stealing a gundam with ease:awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest