The Student Room Group

AQA- English Literature at AS Level, Literature B

Anyone doing any of these texts/all of them:

Enduring Love
The Great Gatsby
Tennyson
Rossetti

I'm on the B/A borderline, think coursework went okay...and I so want an A!

Section A, I'm alright at, would people recommend focusing on one text for that, as in decide what I'm going to do?

Section B: haven't a clue, we haven't even done it in class yet, ridiculous!

Help would be much appreciated

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing Great Gatsby Enduring Love and Rossetti.

I was wondering about the focus thing for one text, because Great Gatsby is only really short isn't it, so there are only 9 chapters that they can ask about. Hmm, anyone got any advice? I was thinking it would be handy for revision because then there is less to remember but I might run it past my teachers after Easter to check. I still can't remember what they want for each section properly! SO it's:

Section A: question a) how do they tell the story question b) what do you think about such a such a interpretation/theme.

Section B: How do all three texts do such a- such a thing.

Remember that you don't have to talk about them all equally in section B, one can have more focus than the others, as long as it's not just a sentence or whatever.
Section A question a is focused on AO2 Form Structure and Language
Section A question b is focussed on AO1 AO3 and AO4 critical vocabulary, different interpretations and context.
Section B is focussed on AO1 AO2 AO3 critical vocabulary, form, structure, language, interpretations.
Reply 2
Original post by racaha

Original post by racaha
I'm doing Great Gatsby Enduring Love and Rossetti.

I was wondering about the focus thing for one text, because Great Gatsby is only really short isn't it, so there are only 9 chapters that they can ask about. Hmm, anyone got any advice? I was thinking it would be handy for revision because then there is less to remember but I might run it past my teachers after Easter to check. I still can't remember what they want for each section properly! SO it's:

Section A: question a) how do they tell the story question b) what do you think about such a such a interpretation/theme.

Section B: How do all three texts do such a- such a thing.

Remember that you don't have to talk about them all equally in section B, one can have more focus than the others, as long as it's not just a sentence or whatever.
Section A question a is focused on AO2 Form Structure and Language
Section A question b is focussed on AO1 AO3 and AO4 critical vocabulary, different interpretations and context.
Section B is focussed on AO1 AO2 AO3 critical vocabulary, form, structure, language, interpretations.

How do you find Enduring Love?
and...
I'm thinking of focusing on the poems for Section A as then I can still have a choice between tennyson and Rossetti but I can revise techniques and ways so much easier (for me anyway)
I think it is critical vocabulary that is bringing down my grade, is that your general vocab, or are there certain terms etc I need to know/should be including?

section B, do you need to compare the texts? & it is just the other three isn't it? Also, I don't need to write about context in that one either???
Reply 3
Original post by lampshade1
How do you find Enduring Love?
and...
I'm thinking of focusing on the poems for Section A as then I can still have a choice between tennyson and Rossetti but I can revise techniques and ways so much easier (for me anyway)
I think it is critical vocabulary that is bringing down my grade, is that your general vocab, or are there certain terms etc I need to know/should be including?

section B, do you need to compare the texts? & it is just the other three isn't it? Also, I don't need to write about context in that one either???

I really like Enduring Love. I think there is a lot to write about such as with the definition of the ending and various settings and unreliable narrator etc. I was thinking that I find the poems easier to pick out techniques for too, like enjambment and rhythm that you don't get in novels. But I think it will be easier for me to use the novel for section A because there's a chance of poems I'm not confident with being named. I think I'll revise all he poems over easter and see how I feel about them, then check with my teacher and decide.

It's just general vocabulary, I think most of the time you'll be using it without even knowing. It's simple things that you write without thinking, stuff like enjambment. I think so anyway!

Well my teacher said that we don't have to compare the texts. So I don't think you have to, you can just write about them each in relation to the question. But you also won't get penalised for comparing, if you want to. Yep, the other three texts so one novel and then two or more poems from each poet. I thought that was odd too! But on the AQA mark scheme, it just as the first three AO's for section B, so I guess not?
Reply 4
Original post by racaha

Original post by racaha
I really like Enduring Love. I think there is a lot to write about such as with the definition of the ending and various settings and unreliable narrator etc. I was thinking that I find the poems easier to pick out techniques for too, like enjambment and rhythm that you don't get in novels. But I think it will be easier for me to use the novel for section A because there's a chance of poems I'm not confident with being named. I think I'll revise all he poems over easter and see how I feel about them, then check with my teacher and decide.

It's just general vocabulary, I think most of the time you'll be using it without even knowing. It's simple things that you write without thinking, stuff like enjambment. I think so anyway!

Well my teacher said that we don't have to compare the texts. So I don't think you have to, you can just write about them each in relation to the question. But you also won't get penalised for comparing, if you want to. Yep, the other three texts so one novel and then two or more poems from each poet. I thought that was odd too! But on the AQA mark scheme, it just as the first three AO's for section B, so I guess not?

I'm the total opposite for Enduring Love, I like the general story line of the stalking but the scientific bits I find really boring and in general it seems quite unrealistic, but I can see how it has plenty to write about for the exam.

And awesome, I had a general revise over vocab this morning, so hopefully that'll help!

Thank you and yeah I guess not if it doesn't say on the mark scheme.
Do you know where I can find past questions ?
Reply 5
I'm the total opposite for Enduring Love, I like the general story line of the stalking but the scientific bits I find really boring and in general it seems quite unrealistic, but I can see how it has plenty to write about for the exam.

And awesome, I had a general revise over vocab this morning, so hopefully that'll help!

Thank you and yeah I guess not if it doesn't say on the mark scheme.
Do you know where I can find past questions ?

:yep: The science bits can make me zone out for a bit, but in general I really like the whole stalking plot. I think Jed Parry is so adorable, the poor thing! :sad:

Yep: http://www.aqa.org.uk/index.php?id=2083&tabid=1&tx_rgtabs_pi1%5BshowAsFirst%5D=2 Then just click on past question papers and mark schemes. No problem, hope I helped a bit! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by racaha

Original post by racaha
:yep: The science bits can make me zone out for a bit, but in general I really like the whole stalking plot. I think Jed Parry is so adorable, the poor thing! :sad:

Yep: http://www.aqa.org.uk/index.php?id=2083&tabid=1&tx_rgtabs_pi1%5BshowAsFirst%5D=2 Then just click on past question papers and mark schemes. No problem, hope I helped a bit! :smile:

Yes, I definitely zone out! aha :P and I know, have you seen the film? we watched it in class, they changed some things which annoyed me.
Thank you very much for the past questions! Just out of interest, what else are you taking at A-level? and what do you hope to achieve in English lit ?
Reply 7
Yes, I definitely zone out! aha :P and I know, have you seen the film? we watched it in class, they changed some things which annoyed me.
Thank you very much for the past questions! Just out of interest, what else are you taking at A-level? and what do you hope to achieve in English lit ?

No I've not seen it! I'll definitely watch it but I might wait until after the exam now if it's different, don't want to confuse myself so close to the exam!

No problem! I'm doing History, Theatre Studies and Psychology. :smile: What about you? Well I'm predicted an A but I seemed to be constantly getting B's and the odd A when we were last doing the papers! Although at parents evening my teacher said she has no doubt that I can get an A in the exam. I think it will help when we go back with the lessons because we haven't worked on the exam stuff for ages because of coursework. So fingers crossed I'm hoping for an A! Similar to you I guess. :smile:
Reply 8
What have you all got in the coursework
(I've got 27/30 on one, dunno about the others)
I'm doing great gatsby, tennyson, auden, and enduring love!

Aah, seems we're all doing enduring love!
Reply 9
Yeah, watch it after, it has Daniel Craig in! :P

I'm doing History, Philosophy&Ethics and Spanish alongside English Lit :smile: Yeah, I really want an A! As most course for what I want to do at Uni are AAA/AAB, ahh!! And same, when I get back to school, past paper work for History and English will commence, big time! :P
Reply 10
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy

I don't know about coursework, we were very disorganised...not even sure if the teachers have market it yet, they said it'd be top band though! so quite confident with that :smile:
and are you deciding what you're going to do for Section A ?
Reply 11
Original post by EffKayy

No idea, I haven't been told! :sad: I want to know though. I'm worried that it'll be an low/average mark and I can't change it. You know like when they say it's fine, but I don't know how fine fine is and I'd rather go in with as high a mark as I can get, so I hope it's not going to be left at an okay mark.

We're all doing Gatsby too. :yep:
Reply 12
Original post by racaha

Original post by racaha
No idea, I haven't been told! :sad: I want to know though. I'm worried that it'll be an low/average mark and I can't change it. You know like when they say it's fine, but I don't know how fine fine is and I'd rather go in with as high a mark as I can get, so I hope it's not going to be left at an okay mark.

We're all doing Gatsby too. :yep:

I'm the same, not been told! But they said it has been fine and they say it is top band...but my sister read through it and was overly nice! and I can't change it now....ahh!

And yes, personally I LOVE Gatsby! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Yeah, watch it after, it has Daniel Craig in! :P

I'm doing History, Philosophy&Ethics and Spanish alongside English Lit :smile: Yeah, I really want an A! As most course for what I want to do at Uni are AAA/AAB, ahh!! And same, when I get back to school, past paper work for History and English will commence, big time! :P

Oooh I'll will do!

Ahh nice! What do you want to do at Uni? :smile: What topics are you doing in History? :biggrin: It's my favourite subject. :lovedup: Yep! We've been doing past papers for history as we've gone along so we've done loads but we have a big booklet so I'm going to do as many of them as I can too, give my teachers lots to mark :colone:
Reply 14
I'm the same, not been told! But they said it has been fine and they say it is top band...but my sister read through it and was overly nice! and I can't change it now....ahh!

And yes, personally I LOVE Gatsby! :biggrin:

Eep! I don't even have a rough guess! They just said that it's good aha :confused:

I'm trying to revise a bit of Gatsby as we speak :biggrin: Am I the only one who struggles to know how to revise for English Lit?
Reply 15
I want to do Philosophy, combined with politics/history/spanish/theology...as you can tell I don't have a clue what to combine it with! What about you? and what Universities are you looking at?
History, Stalin 1924-41 and the European Reformation, you?
And yes, we've been doing them as we go along, still having trouble with source questions..but other than that, history is going okay! And same, going to go back to school with loads to mark! I've been revising the topics this week, then past papers next week for history.
Reply 16
Original post by racaha

Original post by racaha
Eep! I don't even have a rough guess! They just said that it's good aha :confused:

I'm trying to revise a bit of Gatsby as we speak :biggrin: Am I the only one who struggles to know how to revise for English Lit?

yeah I find it hard! chapter summaries and key themes on spider diagrams/notes etc :s-smilie:
Reply 17
I want to do Philosophy, combined with politics/history/spanish/theology...as you can tell I don't have a clue what to combine it with! What about you? and what Universities are you looking at?
History, Stalin 1924-41 and the European Reformation, you?
And yes, we've been doing them as we go along, still having trouble with source questions..but other than that, history is going okay! And same, going to go back to school with loads to mark! I've been revising the topics this week, then past papers next week for history.

That sounds like it would be so interesting. :yep: I want to do law :smile: No idea! I need to start looking really. I went to one of those UCAS fair things and went to almost every stand. I'd like to go to the best I can get in to though, so I improve my chances if I manage to go in to law as a career.
We're doing France in Revolution and the impact of New Liberalism. Argh sources! This is the first day I've started revision, it's so bad. :frown: I've been going in to sixth form for drama though, most stressful subject EVER. So technically I've been doing work, but not revision of my other subjects yet.
Reply 18
yeah I find it hard! chapter summaries and key themes on spider diagrams/notes etc :s-smilie:

Yeah I find it difficult. I'm just lost haha. :sad:
Reply 19
Original post by racaha

Original post by racaha
That sounds like it would be so interesting. :yep: I want to do law :smile: No idea! I need to start looking really. I went to one of those UCAS fair things and went to almost every stand. I'd like to go to the best I can get in to though, so I improve my chances if I manage to go in to law as a career.
We're doing France in Revolution and the impact of New Liberalism. Argh sources! This is the first day I've started revision, it's so bad. :frown: I've been going in to sixth form for drama though, most stressful subject EVER. So technically I've been doing work, but not revision of my other subjects yet.

Yes, my friend wants to do law :smile: and those topics sound really interesting! I do love History, expecially The European Reformation, it is so interesting as it fits with my interest in theology and religion too. 'Argh sources!' my feelings exactly!!!!! And no, I can't say my revision has been of much quality so far, mostly sat here staring at my textbook. Yes, drama is such a lot of work, I remember GCSE Drama being such a stress, let alone doing if for A-level! I was going to do it for A-level, but the columns didn't work out, so I did Spanish instead :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending