The Student Room Group

Benefits - Only for lazy, stupid people....

"Get off benefits, earn some real money"
"Get a real job"
" Lazy people who sponge of the government"

Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of people making these ridiculous statements about people on the welfare system. Do you think it's as easy as that...?

My mum has to apply for new jobs everyday, and show proof that she's done it, she has to attend pointless meetings, and if she doesn't she loses money....

My mum has had the opportunity to work several time but it doesn't make sense!

2 kids, one of which is 13 and needs full-time support, can we agree that a 13 year old needs a mum there before she goes to school and when she comes back....? Yes we can.....

Put it this way....

Amount of money gained from welfare system = 100 pound per week
Working full-time 35 hours p/w, spending no time with their kids, not being able to feed one of them, and damaging your health for **** pay... = £80...

If she went to work she'd earn less and sacrifice one of her children, I don't think so...

Yes, fair enough if you're a single person/mum/dad or whatever, but don't generalize everyone on the system....

EDIT - Those figures used aren't real, in other words I'm saying she'd earn less working whilst making stupid compromises..
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree, if welfare pays more than a job then why should people want to come off benefits? And don't give me the crap about it's wrong to leech off the state because the people on benefits don't give a rats hairy ass.
Reply 2
I think its impossible to work 35 hours a week and get £80.I agree though that everyone takes the mick out of people who get benefits.My mam can't work a computer and its not her fault because they weren't invented when she was at school.
Reply 3
Original post by Genocidal
I agree, if welfare pays more than a job then why should people want to come off benefits? And don't give me the crap about it's wrong to leech off the state because the people on benefits don't give a rats hairy ass.

Generalizing massively.
Original post by Genocidal

My mum hates being on benefits, she loaves herself and the situation she's in. She wishes she could work, but it doesn't make no sense at all.....

In fact, GTFO.....
Reply 5
at 13 i dont think the mum needs to be there before and after school
they're in senior school for god sake
but as to your overall point yes people should stop generalising about people on benefits
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude

2 kids, one of which is 13 and needs full-time support, can we agree that a 13 year old needs a mum there before she goes to school and when she comes back....? Yes we can.....

No. I was left home alone when I was 13, just to wait until 5.30 when my dad came back - I was only alone for 2 hours. Before then I went to a before/after school club for an hour just so my mum could pick me up after work. The government say that after 14 a child can be left at home on their own for extended periods of time. So she has no excuse.

Also, your mum could work in the evenings while your dad was home. Or take flexible hours/job share so she is only at work from 9 til 3, leaving her free to pick the kids up from school.

Amount of money gained from welfare system = 100 pound per week
Working full-time 35 hours p/w, spending no time with their kids, not being able to feed one of them, and damaging your health for **** pay... = £80...

So your mum only gets £80 from working 35 hours? She gets paid £2.21 an hour?
Minimum wage is £5.93. Your mum would get AT LEAST £207.55 a week. Double what she scrounges by on benefits.
She wouldn't be with her kids anyway because they'd be at school - plus kids that age want to hang out with friends or have some independence. Not be smothered like a toddler.
A 13 year old can feed itself.
Working is better for your self esteem and circulation
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by screenager2004
No. I was left home alone when I was 13, just to wait until 5.30 when my dad came back - I was only alone for 2 hours. Before then I went to a before/after school club for an hour just so my mum could pick me up after work. The government say that after 14 a child can be left at home on their own for extended periods of time. So she has no excuse.

Also, your mum could work in the evenings while your dad was home. Or take flexible hours/job share so she is only at work from 9 til 3, leaving her free to pick the kids up from school.

Minimum wage is £5.93. Your mum would get AT LEAST £207.55 a week. Double what she scrounges by on benefits.
She wouldn't be with her kids anyway because they'd be at school - plus kids that age want to hang out with friends or have some independence. Not be smothered like a toddler.

Will not respond with anything worth you replying to until you read the bold part, then you'll feel stupid. Once you acknowledge that, I'll then debate/argue with you. But until you learn to decipher simple text, that just.... can't happen.
Reply 8

After tax and NI that's even less.

That's before tax.
Original post by Tommyjw
Generalizing massively.

I disagree, it makes no sense to come off of benefits if working pays less. Infact it would be perhaps the most retarded idea since Archduke Franz Ferdinand said "Let's take a trip to Sarajevo."
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
My mum hates being on benefits, she loaves herself and the situation she's in. She wishes she could work, but it doesn't make no sense at all.....

In fact, GTFO.....

If working would give her less money, and less time with a child then she is doing the right thing.
I had to sign onto the JSA yesterday afternoon, and let me tell you; the vast majority of people who claim are 'something else', to put it quite inoffensively. Obviously, besides myself, there were many who didn't want to be there, though had to claim because they couldn't hold off the financial shackles any longer, or simply realised they were eligible, had paid into the system, and thought 'why not? I deserve it'.

Actually walking into that building is an illuminating experience, though.
Problem is that jobs don't pay enough and rent / house prices and the cost of living is too high. It's not that the benefit pay is too high.
The bit I don't get about benefits is that they knock money off the benefit if you work. Surely they should let you at least earn a certain amount before knocking it off, otherwise it doesn't give people the incentive to work.
Let's face it - we live in a society where there's all this talk of "pride" in going out to work. Well I doubt a lot of people's jobs give them "pride" - hardly able to pay the rent and doing something stupid with stupid people for 8 hours a day, there's not a lot of pride in that is there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rebellious-Steve
That's before tax.

Original post by Jono404
After tax and NI that's even less.

Read the part in bold, or can you not read.
+ Rep.
Because quite frankly I'm tired of hearing it too.
My dad gets disability allowance and pension credit. Yes, because he's a 74 year old, disabled man still working part-time, because we need that money.
The things is, not everyone is like your mum. The majority of people on benefits abuse the system. Yes, I bet 85% are 'Benefit Abusers'.

I personally think we should take the benefits off these 85% and use the money on Science/Paying off debts.

A good example of 'Benefit Abusers' was when EMA was around. People would go into college just to collect EMA (If you needed 60% attendance, people would work out that once they've done 60%, they can have a few weeks off). Also, EMA should have been used for educational purposes, instead the stupid Chavs went into town and bought junk that they don't need.

The only people who should get benefits;

Disabled people who are unable to work.
Single mothers who have to raise children under the age of 10. (Usually the mothers are stupid, but the child shouldn't suffer).

It would make this country work hard again. It's not that long ago that we was a world leading country. Now we're lazy and stupid; China aren't.

Edit*** It's nice to see that other people also want benefit abusers to be flushed out of the system. Maybe there is hope after all? I understand that some people don't mind our country going to the dump, so you guys can keep negging.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sagacious

The things is, not everyone is like your mum. The majority of people on benefits abuse the system. Yes, I bet 85% are 'Benefit Abusers'.

I personally think we should take the benefits off these 85% and use the money on Science/Paying off debts.

A good example of 'Benefit Abusers' was when EMA was around. People would go into college just to collect EMA (If you needed 60% attendance, people would work out that once they've done 60%, they can have a few weeks off). Also, EMA should have been used for educational purposes, instead the stupid Chavs went into town and bought junk that they don't need.

The only people who should get benefits;

Disabled people who are unable to work.
Single mothers who have to raise children under the age of 10. (Usually the mothers are stupid, but the child shouldn't suffer).

It would make this country work hard again. It's not that long ago that we was a world leading country. Now we're lazy and stupid; China aren't.

You would make this country partially developed.

EDIT:What would happen when the child reaches 11 Starvation?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18

This is quite frankly one of the most disgusting things i have ever read.

My mother is single, thus you assume she is stupid? My mother is a very, very intelligent person who has managed to land a job that would equate to ~47k a year. (I say this as she fosters and has a disability so doesn't work full hours). She had incredibly high grades while she was younger and her 'test' for her job landed her in the top 10- people who ever took it at that (very large) company.

Why would a single mother be automatically be deemed stupid?

I'm sure my dad didnt just go 'oh, she's stupid, bye bye'. ¬_¬

If anything i respect the intelligence, decisions and views of single mothers more than others.
Original post by Tommyjw
This is quite frankly one of the most disgusting things i have ever read.

My mother is single, thus you assume she is stupid? My mother is a very, very intelligent person who has managed to land a job that would equate to ~47k a year. (I say this as she fosters and has a disability so doesn't work full hours). She had incredibly high grades while she was younger and her 'test' for her job landed her in the top 10- people who ever took it at that (very large) company.

Why would a single mother be automatically be deemed stupid?

I'm sure my dad didnt just go 'oh, she's stupid, bye bye'. ¬_¬

If anything i respect the intelligence, decisions and views of single mothers more than others.

Man....

I don't know where to start, not sure if these views are TSR-based, or all just general views in the UK lol???

Latest

Trending

Trending