The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2012 Applicants

Who's started revising/practising?

I find the maths section the hardest :s-smilie: HOW are we meant to answer questions in 30 seconds each?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm exactly the same...I was averaging 4 to 5 minutes with some of the maths questions and even that was pushing it.

I also struggle with abstract reasoning...The very basic ones I can spot but the more complex ones just seem to elude me....It is probably worth buying the "600 UKCAT questions" book (I got mine off Amazon but for extra practice, I think there are a number of books devoted to each type of test found in the UKCAT, so these may be worth having a look at).

The only other thing you can do is perhaps apply to one or more of the non-UKCAT universities as your backup choices? I am applying to Newcastle as my firm but I will be applying to Leeds (UKCAT) and Liverpool (non-UKCAT) also.
Reply 2
Havn't really given it much time yet, but im most worried about the maths section
Reply 3
instead of doing the actual practice tests, brush up on your maths skills - especially data interpretation, percentages, fractions and be very sharp in mental maths.
I've already done mine :smile:
Original post by racheatworld
I've already done mine :smile:

Great :smile: How'd it go?
Hi :wavey:

I'm no dentist but I know a thing or two about the UKCAT (sat the damn thing twice :grumble:) so I think I'll silently stalk this thread and see if you lot have any questions :h:

Yes... I'm that bored :teehee:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

I'm no dentist but I know a thing or two about the UKCAT (sat the damn thing twice :grumble:) so I think I'll silently stalk this thread and see if you lot have any questions :h:

Aha I'll be doing it for a second time as well :colondollar:

What averages did you get?
And did you improve the second time round?
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
Aha I'll be doing it for a second time as well :colondollar:

What averages did you get?
And did you improve the second time round?

In 2010 I averaged 720 and then in 2011 I averaged 722.5

So I improved slightly :lol:

But the way my points were scored was completely different (UKCAT is rubbish imo :yep:)

How did you do last year?
Have you booked your test for this year then? :h:
I've sat the UKCAT three times, so if you have any questions, ask. :smile:
In 2010 I averaged 720 and then in 2011 I averaged 722.5

So I improved slightly :lol:

But the way my points were scored was completely different (UKCAT is rubbish imo :yep:)

How did you do last year?
Have you booked your test for this year then? :h:

Hey thats a brilliant score! So you took a gap year yeah? .. how did you improve your application during the gap year?

Last year I got 622.5 :mad: Booked my new one for end of august now.
So hopefully this year I'll do far better... How did you find the QR? (thats the one I struggle most with)
Original post by Seham
I've sat the UKCAT three times, so if you have any questions, ask. :smile:

Firstly, well done for getting into cambridge!

And wow 3 times lol you're the most experienced one here... how come you applied thrice?
What were your actualy scores?
Hey thats a brilliant score! So you took a gap year yeah? .. how did you improve your application during the gap year?

Last year I got 622.5 :mad: Booked my new one for end of august now.
So hopefully this year I'll do far better... How did you find the QR? (thats the one I struggle most with)

Yeah I'm just at the finishing end of the gap year now (thankfully)
I got loads more work experience - spent time volunteering in a hospital as well as a podiatrists and a chiropractors clinic (thought it would be something different to talk about at interview... it was :yep:)
Other than that just made sure I prepared better for any interviews and have basically just been in work the whole year :erm:
You got any plans for your gap year? :h:

First time round it was my lowest at 670... but for some reason I was lucky or something this year and I actually scored 900 for QR :colondollar:

I will agree that I have and always will hate it though.. the calculators horrible to use and it's too damn fast!

My suggestion is get used to using the non-scientific calculator on your computer/laptop (since it's changed this year I've heard) and learn to make educated guesses when they have those horrible time waster questions
Reply 13

I did the UKCAT 3 times :biggrin:

My advice would be to do as man questions as possible and dont ignore some sections. I neglected decision analysis and that pulled my average down.

I would recommend the 600 questions book and ukcatpracticeonline.co.uk. They charge £45 for the entire question bank but if you just buy one section you have access to all the questions (they did this last year, not sure if it was a glitch).

anyhoo good luck!
Original post by torchwood
I did the UKCAT 3 times :biggrin:

Did you take like 2 gap years or aomething..?
Yeah I'm just at the finishing end of the gap year now (thankfully)
I got loads more work experience - spent time volunteering in a hospital as well as a podiatrists and a chiropractors clinic (thought it would be something different to talk about at interview... it was :yep:)
Other than that just made sure I prepared better for any interviews and have basically just been in work the whole year :erm:
You got any plans for your gap year? :h:

First time round it was my lowest at 670... but for some reason I was lucky or something this year and I actually scored 900 for QR :colondollar:

I will agree that I have and always will hate it though.. the calculators horrible to use and it's too damn fast!

My suggestion is get used to using the non-scientific calculator on your computer/laptop (since it's changed this year I've heard) and learn to make educated guesses when they have those horrible time waster questions

900! Isn't that like full marks?! Aha wow howww did you manage that?
900! Isn't that like full marks?! Aha wow howww did you manage that?

Yeah it is :colondollar:

I have no idea but I wasn't complaining! :lol:

If I knew I'd tell you :yep:
Reply 17
Did you take like 2 gap years or aomething..?

Firstly, well done for getting into cambridge!

And wow 3 times lol you're the most experienced one here... how come you applied thrice?
What were your actualy scores?

Applied once as an UG, didn't get in. (580 average) This was with no practice. I didn't even know what the test was, just turned up!
Last year applied as a grad, got 640 average which wasn't enough for grad entry courses. This year got 687.5 average. AR and VR are always my downfall. I would advise you to get the 600Q book. Work through it untimed so you understand how to solve questions. Once you have done that, work on your timing. :smile:
Original post by Seham

Applied once as an UG, didn't get in. (580 average) This was with no practice. I didn't even know what the test was, just turned up!
Last year applied as a grad, got 640 average which wasn't enough for grad entry courses. This year got 687.5 average. AR and VR are always my downfall. I would advise you to get the 600Q book. Work through it untimed so you understand how to solve questions. Once you have done that, work on your timing. :smile:

That's a great score :smile:
I actually quite like AR, but VR and QR are my worst.

Quick Reply

Latest