The Student Room Group

Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brimstone

From school to sixth form
-You'll have a much better relationship with most of your teachers and they'll treat you more like adults, even as friends sometimes

More like adults yes. Friends, no.

-Depending on the subjects you take and the size of your sixth form, the classes will probably be much smaller, allowing for more interaction in lessons and a more relaxed atmosphere

Nope :frown:

-You'll have frees and it'll most likely be up to you how you spend them
YES, frees are awsome, they're my chillax time during school hours

-You'll still be nagged to get your work done, but because you're there of your own free will, they can't do anything to you if you don't, so you need more self-motivation

They do encourage you but as you said, it does take alot of effort on your behalf.

-You'll be the most senior students in the school and thus expected to set a good example to the younger pupils

The sixth form I go to is only years 12 and 13 so when you first join sixth form, you're the youngest :wink:

From GCSEs to A-levels-You only have to study your favourite and best subjects, which is obviously great

The choice still isn't fantastic and it isn't very specific either. It's not like you can start studying particle physics etc. There will still be chunks of your "favourite" subjects that will still be tedious and boring.

-The work will be much more in depth and probably more interesting

More in depth yes, whether it's interesting or not is really up to the person. The "in depth" physics im doing is all number crunching which certainly isn't interesting :redface:

-For essay subjects, it'll be much more about analysis and evaluation than just pure facts

There is much more analysis however along with that comes a plethora of technical terms that need to be learned.

-You can no longer get away with having a basic knowledge of a subject and then blagging the exam or just learning reams of facts without actually understanding them

It depends on the subject. Most of which you can just get away with a "basic knowledge" :rolleyes:

Just realized that the OP is 4 years old :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by juicylgd
Heya.. i went to a 6th form but not at my school
is So cool

coz you make new friends
the teachers are incredible! most of mine went to oxford or cambridge and they're just the best teachers ever
theyre so friendly.. loads of people i know have their numbers to txt them about revision/hwk
u can email them whenever out of college to ask qs..they normally reply within one hour

but note takin is weird.. as u dont get told when to take them and at first i never used to!

but the transition subject wise is really hard, like in history i knew a girl that got all a*s and froma private school and got a d in history coz of technique or something!

Your 6th form sounds awesome! :biggrin: You're very lucky. I too attend my local 6th form and it was the best decisions I have ever made in my entire life. I do not for one moment regret leaving my all girls private catholic school and goign to a normal, fresh, modern 6th form college :smile: However, without meaning to sound arrogant here, the change in teaching quality and class behaviour was noticeable. Although it is annoying, I think it's good it exists because in life, you do get idiots who muck around and distract you and you also get hopeless people who have no idea what they're talking about so in a way a 6th form college prepares you for life much better than a school 6th form would. The people here are so much more accepting. At my old school, I wasn't in the 'popular' groups or the ones who got invited to parties so I was pretty much rejected, which was a shame coz I just wanted to be friends with those girls. However that all changed at college where you get a much bigger variety of people. And yes, there are still the 'Jack Wills' groups, the 'goths', the 'science geeks' but it doesn't matter because everyone is equal at college. There is no hierarchy unlike secondary school where the Jack Wills usually ruled. So I have found some equally quirky and lovely people to hang out with as well as many of my old friends from primary school :smile:

tl;dr Leave school and go to 6th form college You will never regret it! :biggrin:
Reply 682
Original post by brimstone
That time has come. The end of the exams are soon to be in sight, then the long summer holidays, the results and finally... moving on to Sixth Form :eek:. It's a big change going from GCSEs to A Levels, so this thread is here to help you find out about the transition from normal school to Sixth Form.

Feel free to ask questions here and to discuss the changes :smile:

Thank you to kellywood_5 for the following information :

From school to sixth form
-You'll have a much better relationship with most of your teachers and they'll treat you more like adults, even as friends sometimes
-Depending on the subjects you take and the size of your sixth form, the classes will probably be much smaller, allowing for more interaction in lessons and a more relaxed atmosphere
-You'll have frees and it'll most likely be up to you how you spend them
-You'll still be nagged to get your work done, but because you're there of your own free will, they can't do anything to you if you don't, so you need more self-motivation
-You'll be the most senior students in the school and thus expected to set a good example to the younger pupils

From GCSEs to A-levels-You only have to study your favourite and best subjects, which is obviously great
-The work will be much more in depth and probably more interesting
-For essay subjects, it'll be much more about analysis and evaluation than just pure facts
-You can no longer get away with having a basic knowledge of a subject and then blagging the exam or just learning reams of facts without actually understanding them

Still isn't going to happen hehe.
Reply 683
I'm going to college instead of sixth form later this year and i'm really nervous. I can't wait to do the subjects i've chosen (biology, psychology, history, film studies) but it's just because only one of my friends is going there too but taking completely different subjects, it's just the getting to know people side i'm nervous about xD
Original post by Becca94
I'm going to college instead of sixth form later this year and i'm really nervous. I can't wait to do the subjects i've chosen (biology, psychology, history, film studies) but it's just because only one of my friends is going there too but taking completely different subjects, it's just the getting to know people side i'm nervous about xD

College may seem daunting due to the number of people (there are about 2500 at my college) but everyone is really friendly. You will soon make friends with the people in your classes and they will introduce you to their friends etc and your friendship group soon grows :biggrin: People at college I've found are a lot more accepting than at secondary school. You mature a lot in 6th form so the petty little squabbles, bullying and bitchiness tends to go and those who still act like that end up with no friends! In such a large, diverse place you are bound to find people who you get along with :biggrin:
I'm so worried about starting sixth form, I'm going to the one at Valentines High School and I don't know anyone there. Any advice from external students would be much appreciated! or any sixth formers
Original post by Glutamic Acid
I'm really excited about leaving changing 'school'. I could've stayed on at a Sixth Form at my current school, but they didn't offer the subjects I wanted and I hated the place, the only negative being I won't have any friends when I start at sixth form, but I'm not worried about that.

I'm going to a new sixth form where none of my friends are going, and I'm SO worried! I wish I could be as relaxed as you!
Original post by HelloGoodbye
I'm going to a new sixth form where none of my friends are going, and I'm SO worried! I wish I could be as relaxed as you!

I'm going to a new school too! The difference is that a good friend of mine was accepted too, and I know a few people there already.

For us, they have this special day where we are all doing team exercises, icebreakers etc. I guess that's a good way of becoming familiar with your peers. Is your sixth form doing that?
Original post by Alimbo95
I'm going to a new school too! The difference is that a good friend of mine was accepted too, and I know a few people there already.

For us, they have this special day where we are all doing team exercises, icebreakers etc. I guess that's a good way of becoming familiar with your peers. Is your sixth form doing that?

No, they had an induction day but I couldn't attend cos I had a Geography exam (so regret choosing geography!!). I'm used to having a big group of friends at school and I'm so worried i'm gonna be a loner :frown:
Original post by HelloGoodbye
No, they had an induction day but I couldn't attend cos I had a Geography exam (so regret choosing geography!!). I'm used to having a big group of friends at school and I'm so worried i'm gonna be a loner :frown:

Nah, I'm sure you'll fit in quickly.
How do people feel about the change in the dress code from Year 11 to 12? :/

My school's dress code is "business dress" for example, it states as a girl we're only allowed to wear shirts with collars, skirts to the knee, dark suit jacket and shoes etc. But this is much different to the sort of clothes I see sixth formers wearing at the moment...do you think they'll become more lenient?

I'm was really shocked and worried with the dress code because I'm not one to wear this sort of stuff and I'm worried I'll look like a total prat. Any tips/advice for making this look nice at least?

I'm thinking of shopping in places like New Look and H&M and seeing if I can give it a more modern, personal feel to my clothes :smile:

Thanks guys :biggrin:

P.S. What's your blog, Whizz-kid?
Hey guys, I need some advice about starting a sixth-form college. I'm doing the international baccalaureate. I have 2 of my close friends going too, thank goodness, but they are doing A-Levels.

I haven't really had to make all new friends since year 1. Can anybody who has been in this situation, not knowing anyone in your classes, can I get some advice on how to deal with it?

I come from an all-girls' school and my college is both sexes. I don't really have a great deal of experience being in a mixed-sex learning enviroment along with the different social economics of it all.
My friend's Dad said that the boys might taught us a bit because we went to a girls' school. Sorry if this sounds absolutely ridiculous.
I'm really nervous, only person I will know in the whole school will be my bf :puppyeyes:
I loved sixth form! The work load is more and the work requires a lot more knowledge and detail but the whole atmosphere of it was so relaxed; everyone is a lot more mature. For everyone who is going to sixth form don't worry! :biggrin: It will get stressful but it is such a good experience. It is definitely the best 2 school years of my life :P Good luck to everyone going to sixth form, I hope you enjoy it :smile:
Reply 694
Don't know if it has been mentioned before, but do you think it would be easier to get some exercise books rather than refill pads and folders?
Original post by Formia
Don't know if it has been mentioned before, but do you think it would be easier to get some exercise books rather than refill pads and folders?

Depends. In my first year of college, all classes were given booklets and revision packs so you didn't need to write much on lined paper. Thus, we only had folders to put the booklets in.

In my second college, we don't. We get lots of handouts but also have to write a lot on lined paper and so notebooks are more useful. But I'm too used to folders and stick with one.

The most important part is that it is comfortable for you to use. Which do you like to use more?

Folders let you move things around.

You could have a small plastic wallet for handouts and write in notebooks though.
Reply 696
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Depends. In my first year of college, all classes were given booklets and revision packs so you didn't need to write much on lined paper. Thus, we only had folders to put the booklets in.

In my second college, we don't. We get lots of handouts but also have to write a lot on lined paper and so notebooks are more useful. But I'm too used to folders and stick with one.

The most important part is that it is comfortable for you to use. Which do you like to use more?

Folders let you move things around.

You could have a small plastic wallet for handouts and write in notebooks though.

Thanks,

I prefer books, but then handouts are a serious pain, and if you get loads of handouts I guess folders will be the way to go. But I am also terrible at tearing out paper...
Original post by Formia
Thanks,

I prefer books, but then handouts are a serious pain, and if you get loads of handouts I guess folders will be the way to go. But I am also terrible at tearing out paper...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Qconnect-Doc-Folder-Asst-Pk12/dp/B001GY03RO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314226528&sr=8-2

These kind of folders are useful. Get a different one for each subject and unit and put a sticker on the front of each one so you know which is which. Then you'd be able to use books!
Reply 698
Original post by Formia
Thanks,

Find a massive hole punch, then hole punch an exercise book and put it in the folder I remember we did that at GCSE for some subjects- I think for the sciences. They had a huge hole punch in my school library and I used that to hole punch the exercise book, which then acted like lined paper in the folder, except it couldn't get lost, and caused less problems if the folder got overfilled and broke.:smile:
Reply 699
At the moment am finding the transition really great! Have started at a new college and enrolled today - was so fresh and nice as I had my closest friends with me but everyone else was new and I'm looking forward to getting to know them. Think I'm going to have a lot of fun and can't wait!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending