The Student Room Group

Dental hygiene and dental therapy 2012 entry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nicsxox
Hey everyone, I'm applying for the BSc in Dental Therapy and Dental Hygiene. I'm applying to Birmingham, Portsmouth, Cardiff, Teesside and Manchester/Liverpool (not sure on the last one yet). I'm just waiting for my reference to be done and hopefully my app should be sent off. Who else is applying to these UNI's?

Im applying to Birmingham Portsmouth Cardiff tooo :smile: and manc..and edinburgh :biggrin:
Reply 21
sent you a pm.

Original post by Patynurse
Hey Frostyfog!! well done you!!!!!!!!
I recently read somewhere here that you did your OHP and A levels last year and I know how hard it is !! YOU DID ABSOLUTELLY WELL getting B and C well done you!!!!! \o/
I am doing my A level Bio and Oral Health Education and it is soooooo hard work !!I can't wait to finish !!!!
Good luck!!!
Reply 22
Original post by SARAF
Hi everyone, i am new to this .. But would any of you tell me how many times have you tried to apply or wheter you have been accepted and what qualification you got or need? Thanks saraf

Hey there :] This will be the 3rd year i'm applying to this course. It's ridiculously over subscribed and few people get in on their first try but that's not to say that it isn't possible. Just keep trying.
You need either a dental nursing qualification, or need a-levels including a biology a-level, and some unis want chemistry as well. Every institution will have slightly different entry requirements so it's worth checking their websites.
You can do either the diploma or degree, depending on what your situation is and what you want to do. The degree is usually 3 years and the diploma is 2 years and a term.
I hope that helps and good luck!
Reply 23
Original post by SARAF
Hi everyone, i am new to this .. But would any of you tell me how many times have you tried to apply or wheter you have been accepted and what qualification you got or need? Thanks saraf

You might be lucky to get in on your first application. Just be positive and and be determined. Qualification may depend on which type of course you will be applying for and the universities..for example this is how i normaly think or see the situation.

Dental nursing Qualification /(Experience) + Post qualifications + Which University= Diploma Dental Hygiene and Therapy

OR

A levels + Experience/(A Dental Nursing Qualification/ Shadowing a dentist) + Which University= Bsc Dental Hygiene and Therapy

OR EVEN

A levels + Dental nursing Qualification/(Experience) + Post qualifications + Which University = Diploma Dental Hygiene and Therapy + Bsc Dental Hygiene and Therapy

You can sort of weigh it up yourself and it always comes down to your determination (Personal statement), what you really want to do (a Bsc or a Diploma?), and the University you are applying to i.e a popular university?, The university's dental standards over the years or according to the GDC?,the circumstances within each universities in relation to the nature of application to this type of courses (Ratio of matured student with or without Dental Nursing Experience/Qualification and A levels/Access courses; to Traditional School leavers or A level students with or without Dental Nursing Experience/Qualification and good A level grades and ratio of Diploma students to Degree students).

Its very competitive to get into the course but every individual is different. Hope that helps
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
hey! yeah im applying to liverpool, birmingham cardiff portsmouth and dundee. has anyone sent their ucas off ?
Reply 25
Hi,

I am applying for the Diploma in Dental Hygiene, does anyone have any hints on writing personal statements? It's so hard to know what to include!

Thank you :smile:
I am currently a final year BSc hygiene and therapy student at Manchester so feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try not to take too long to answer them! :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by shemi

Original post by shemi
When are all of you sending off your applications?
I'm having a bit of a problem with one of my referees who is ill and can't give my reference so i can't send it off for ages.
Also, how important are good references?

Hi Shemi, my references are now complete and I have finally sent off my application. When are you sending yours by?
Reply 28
Well done, nice and early =] I sent mine off on the 25th Oct. Are you doing A-Levels or dental nursing?
Reply 29
Original post by chrissi#
Hi Shemi, my references are now complete and I have finally sent off my application. When are you sending yours by?

Well done, nice and early =] I sent mine off on the 25th Oct. Are you doing A-Levels or dental nursing?
Reply 30
Original post by shemi

Original post by shemi

I'm studying alevels, what about you?
And where have you applied to? =)
Reply 31
I am currently a final year BSc hygiene and therapy student at Manchester so feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try not to take too long to answer them!

Hi claireytoothfairy ! I just got an interview for manchester, just wanted to ask what kind of questions did they ask and what kind of topics/questions should I prepare for ?
Also wanted to know how the course is and any tips ?

Original post by helpin
Hi claireytoothfairy ! I just got an interview for manchester, just wanted to ask what kind of questions did they ask and what kind of topics/questions should I prepare for ?
Also wanted to know how the course is and any tips ?

Woo, well done you! When is it? Well the interviews are changing this year so I can't say for sure, IV mainly personal-statement based, they like knowledge of dental team and perhaps evidence of your working as part of a team. The group thing is usually an ethical issue or perhaps again something relating to the dental team :smile:
Reply 33
Woo, well done you! When is it? Well the interviews are changing this year so I can't say for sure, IV mainly personal-statement based, they like knowledge of dental team and perhaps evidence of your working as part of a team. The group thing is usually an ethical issue or perhaps again something relating to the dental team

Thanks for getting back so soon , they didnt really say when just said sometime next yr, really nervous though do you suggest any books or reading material? Do they ask any random questions or what would you do if....? Ive heard some unis do that? Also are there many people interviewing and how long does the interview usually last?
How have you found the course far? Is it what you expected it to be? :smile:
Original post by helpin
Thanks for getting back so soon , they didnt really say when just said sometime next yr, really nervous though do you suggest any books or reading material? Do they ask any random questions or what would you do if....? Ive heard some unis do that? Also are there many people interviewing and how long does the interview usually last?
How have you found the course far? Is it what you expected it to be? :smile:

Ahh cool, think they're usually around feb/march sort of time :smile: tbh I didn't use any books or anything just googled some ethical issues, researched basic stuff they might expect you to know ie: filling materials, fluoridated water... I don't recall any "what would you do if..." kind of questions no, but it has changed this year so obv I'm no expert on what kind of ques they'll ask you and obv every tutor/interviewer is different! I think they normally interview 60-70 for the course (based on around 200 applicants for 12 places) and you'll be in groups of about 8. You have a group discussion and then go for your interview... Last year there were 2 tutors and 1 student on the panel but I think they're changing them to go to the BDS interviews, which are 3 separate mini-interviews on a 1-1 with a tutor. I think haha :smile:

Course so far has been really good but there is a huge amount of work involved! Especially compared to other students, I found I was working so much more/so much later into the night ha. The 1st half of 1st year is hectic, then it evens out a bit and tbh apart from exams 2nd year is fiiiiiiine.. 3rd year so far is a nightmare, so much work to do! Thankfully I'm still loving the course though :smile: I'm not really sure what I expected it to be so can't really answer that one, sorry!
Reply 35
Yh I got another interview for portsmouth that is also around feb time too. To be honest I would prefer a one on one interview , less scary for me but discussion hopefully wont be too bad, do you know what kind of topics are usually brought up? 12 places .. means its really competitive to get into, only 60/70 interviews I was expecting a lot more.
Wow course sounds hectic , I guess because its three yrs there must be alot of stuff to learn in that space of time. I always thought that first yr would be easier after alevels but not for this course i guess. Oh and I wanted to ask you how the Uni is like itself, personally I think current students can really tell you the most about it. I really appreciate you answering my qs, despite being really busy with final year and exams ect. Thankyou
Reply 36
Original post by helpin
Yh I got another interview for portsmouth that is also around feb time too. To be honest I would prefer a one on one interview , less scary for me but discussion hopefully wont be too bad, do you know what kind of topics are usually brought up? 12 places .. means its really competitive to get into, only 60/70 interviews I was expecting a lot more.
Wow course sounds hectic , I guess because its three yrs there must be alot of stuff to learn in that space of time. I always thought that first yr would be easier after alevels but not for this course i guess. Oh and I wanted to ask you how the Uni is like itself, personally I think current students can really tell you the most about it. I really appreciate you answering my qs, despite being really busy with final year and exams ect. Thankyou

wow congratulations on both your interviews! my school is still righting references but i've done all my bits and pieces. do you think i am at a disadvantage because i haven't sent mine through yet ? i'm slightly getting worried since a lot of my friends are getting interviews and offers but mine hasnt even been sent ?
Reply 37
wow congratulations on both your interviews! my school is still righting references but i've done all my bits and pieces. do you think i am at a disadvantage because i haven't sent mine through yet ? i'm slightly getting worried since a lot of my friends are getting interviews and offers but mine hasnt even been sent ?

Thanks, I am really nervous tho :/ To be honest I dont think youre at too much of a disadvantage, many at my school are still at the begining stages so dont worry. I only did mines earlier coz I wanted UCAS done so I could focus on jan exams. Just out of curiosity where are you applying ? and what are your as grades like if you dont mind , you dont have to answer if you dont want to. Do you know many people in your school that are applying for this course, at mine I am the only one however we have like 6/7 people for dentistry though. I was quite suprised that I recieved interviews now wasnt expecting them just yet, quite baffled really. :smile:
Reply 38
Hi I'm applying for 2012 entry and am applying to teeside, cardiff, portsmouth, birmingham and liverpool. I'm checking my e-mails every hour for an offer or interview or even rejection but nothing comes! Have any of you got anything yet?
Reply 39
apparently portsmouth take about 4 weeks to get back to you :s-smilie: that's what it said on the email. I've recieved nothing but leaflets from liverpool and portsmouth so far x

Quick Reply