The Student Room Group

Failed my Theory Test

Just did my theory test.

Got 38/50 (fail) for the actual theory part and 58/75 (pass) for hazard perception

I encountered about 15 questions I've NEVER seen before like "What is Diesel? Odourless, Sticky, Slippery or Clear" .....this is me sitting there like wtf? who cares? The whole point of a petrol station is to refill your car! NOT to analayse the fuel itself!!

Anyway, the point of this thread is, what are the main changes happening to the theory test from the 23rd Jan 2012?

I heard that the questions will be more random, but more about stuff on signs and motorway driving?

Give me stregnth! -_-

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Seriously, i don't see how anybody can fail the theory test.. Just do pass tests with the CD the night before and you would own it.

Sorry to hear though, chin up.
Original post by lace-rules
Just did my theory test.

Got 38/50 (fail) for the actual theory part and 58/75 (pass) for hazard perception

I encountered about 15 questions I've NEVER seen before like "What is Diesel? Odourless, Sticky, Slippery or Clear" .....this is me sitting there like wtf? who cares? The whole point of a petrol station is to refill your car! NOT to analayse the fuel itself!!

Anyway, the point of this thread is, what are the main changes happening to the theory test from the 23rd Jan 2012?

I heard that the questions will be more random, but more about stuff on signs and motorway driving?

Give me stregnth! -_-

If you had covered all of the questions you would have been fine... Rebook the test and just go over EVERY question.

Keep trying
When I saw the title of this thread and I saw you failed, I thought it was the hazard perception part not the actual questions lol. Anyway how many practice theory tests did you do online? Because doing that and reading the highway code would have been sufficient to pass.

Btw "diesel is slippery".
Reply 4
Sorry but you really should've gone over all the questions. Get a CD and go over every possible question - soon you just know them like the back of your hand. I understand HP but there's no excuse for failing the actual questions. Get a CD and just do paper after paper after paper - you'll get it soon enough.
Reply 5
Just did my theory test.

Give me stregnth! -_-

This is the kinda of question you will get in the new one,

http://www.driving-school-beckenham.co.uk/mocktheory.html
Reply 6
You didn't study/practice enough basically.
Get a CD for driving theory tests... the AA one is really good! I've heard it just requires a lot of practice because the majority of questions are repeated. But I must admit the diesel question seems really random!
Ive got mine booked for next week, I got an app for it and just do mock tests all the time, im passing every time I do one now and they cant change what they ask much although I would like to know what has actually changed and would revising using the 2011 books/CDs still be good enough? I guess a lot of people get complacent with it and go in thinking its gonna be really easy, which it is to most people but if you havent revised/got much experience driving then I imagine its really easy to fail.
Reply 9
i passed my theory test, 48/50 for the questions and 58/75 for the hazards. The trick is you have to more or less do revision. Ive got the 2011 verison and the questions were exactly the same.
Reply 10
I encountered about 15 questions I've NEVER seen before like "What is Diesel? Odourless, Sticky, Slippery or Clear" .....this is me sitting there like wtf? who cares?
You'd care if there were a tanker of the stuff spilled on the road just ahead of you, or if the roadside message signs (or the radio traffic news) flashed up "diesel spillage".

The whole point of changing the theory test this week is to enforce a basic standard of knowledge into anyone wanting a licence to drive a lethal weapon, including in high risk environments such as diesel spills. Gone are the days when clueless individuals wanting a piece of paper could just memorise question banks to pass a test then forget it all immediately. There are no more question banks to memorise, you actually have to learn and understand stuff and have the knowledge consolidated. Shock, horror!

As for stuff on signs and motorway driving, ask your driving instructor to teach you all about it. The likelihood of questions on these subjects is the same as before and you must understand these topics before you can be trusted to drive alone. Practice on national speed limit dual carriageways (including slip roads) will be invaluable to help you understand some motorway related topics.
I failed first time too... My own fault really though. I had the CD but never used it. I was just like... It'll just be comon sense. Didn't fail by much bit I did fail. Second time I just went through some of the mock tests on the CD the night before and passed.
Reply 12
Original post by Ice Constricter
When I saw the title of this thread and I saw you failed, I thought it was the hazard perception part not the actual questions lol. Anyway how many practice theory tests did you do online? Because doing that and reading the highway code would have been sufficient to pass.

Btw "diesel is slippery".

No diesel is clear.
Original post by jfinney94
No diesel is clear.

Wrong!

Rule 227 of The Highway Code

Wet weather. In wet weather, stopping distances will be at least double those required for stopping on dry roads (see Rule 126). This is because your tyres have less grip on the road.
In wet weather:

- you should keep well back from the vehicle in front. This will increase your ability to see and plan ahead

- if the steering becomes unresponsive, it probably means that water is preventing the tyres from gripping the road. Ease off the accelerator and slow down gradually

- the rain and spray from vehicles may make it difficult to see and be seen

-be aware of the dangers of spilt diesel that will make the surface very slippery (see 'Vehicle maintenance, safety and security')

- take extra care around pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders

What were you saying? :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
My tip is to read the highway code a couple of times and do the free sample tests you can do online a couple of times, a lot of those questions came up in my real thing
Reply 15
i done my theory 3 years ago and got 49/50 on the questions and 56/75 on hazrd perception. since the certificate runs out after 2 years and i dint get round to complete my driving lessons and do the test I am now revising for it all over again.

I would recommend the official dvla theory test cd...i used it the first time round when i passed and my friend borrowed it and she also passed 1st time. Ive just brought the 2012 editon and i think anyone revising for the theory should get the cd..it helps alot
Just did my theory test.

Give me stregnth! -_-

The Diesel question is easy. They want you to know that because it is one of the biggest fire hazards possible.

Failed my theory today. Passed it TWICE before, both times it has expired.
Was very confident about the questions, one question even came up twice but differently worded.

One question which I have never seen in a revision book:
What is ELC? (Electronic Stability Control that prevents skidding)
What lane could you drive in on a 3 line motorway that was empty?
(Obvious answer is left, but I think I got that wrong somehow!)

Trying to remember them all, but pointless. I was 1 mark off...
On the hazard, I had 'unacceptable behaviour' on one clip (yeah whatever) and still managed 65/75.

The case study was pointless, it was just a load of questions they could've written otherwise.

At the end I did the survey they always ask you to do, it was a preview of new test material - CGI hazard perception like a computer game. Erm.. No!
Why can't the DVLA who are charging people £36 a pop, use videos and pictures that aren't 20 years old - most of the video clips are from the 90s.
Reply 17
Diesel is a bugger to ignite, it isn't exactly a fire hazard unless you vaporize it or dip a rag in it or something.
Original post by bexicle89
At the end I did the survey they always ask you to do, it was a preview of new test material - CGI hazard perception like a computer game. Erm.. No!
Why can't the DVLA who are charging people £36 a pop, use videos and pictures that aren't 20 years old - most of the video clips are from the 90s.

I had the same survey thing at the end of my theory test. That was nearly 2 years ago. Wonder why they are taking so long to decide to switch to CGI or not lol... :confused:
Just did my theory test.

Give me stregnth! -_-

Can I just say, My test was EXACTLY the same mark! I think that the criteria and boundaries should be less to be honest but oh well!

Latest

Trending

Trending