The Student Room Group

League of Legends thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by M_E_X
I agree with the bit in bold. The problem is, only the top 25% of players are >1250. Top 10% > 1400 (silver), and top 3% > 1520 (gold). So statistically speaking, if there are 8 of us posting in this thread, only two of us would expect to be >1250...but in reality, almost everyone seems to think they should be above 1250. It's not like everyone is >1250 standard! Only 25% of people are. So from the 8-ish active posters in this thread, statistically speaking we would expect 2 above 1250 and six below 1250.

The 75% often probably think "oh I'm stuck in ELO hell!", when really...they are just part of the 75%. That is what I don't like, 'average' players (because if you are average, near the 50th percentile, you will be less than 1250) complaining about "ELO hell".

Yeah, that's not a good feeling :frown: You can use the website http://www.lolking.net/ to check players stats. I often check the player I'm going to be laning versus while the game is loading, to get an idea of their skill level. You can view the persons match history, ranked stats, basically everything, from that site :h:

e: I'm 1353 ELO on my side now. Won 9, lost 5.

5.9 / 2.6 / 6.8 average KDA.

Best champion: Galio! 100% win rate (3 games) and 18.2:1 KDA. :h:

I agree that on one condition. That if you can play a champion bar support. If you are one of them players that are always last pick or second last pick and forced onto support then it will be down to luck wherever you can climb. There is nothing you can do as a support to carry.
Reply 881
Original post by FloydRix
I agree that on one condition. That if you can play a champion bar support. If you are one of them players that are always last pick or second last pick and forced onto support then it will be down to luck wherever you can climb. There is nothing you can do as a support to carry.

I disagree.

To rise ELO you don't need to "carry" every game, you just need to win games. Supports can influence winning a game a lot. In fact, I'm sure I could get to silver ELO again (from a new level 30 account) playing only support champs. When I got from new account -> silver in two days on this account, I didn't carry every game with 20/0/x on Kog'maw...I just made sure I won games consistently. That means not arguing with team mates and using my experience/"intelligence" in the game (such as when to push, when to take a free baron, when to trap them, when to extend laning phase and when to cut it short, etc etc). I could do that on any role.

(Also I have a ridiculous win% with supports, I'm 4/4 with Janna on my main, 1/1 with her on my side, and 1/1 with support Galio on my side too...so 6/6 total as support across those two champs).

Sure, if you play Soraka every game and just heal and restore mana to your carry, you won't be successful. But that's not playing support properly - you have to harass, counterward, win trades...there is a lot more to playing support than some people seem to think.

e: What players are "always last pick or second last pick"? It is random where you are placed within a team (well it's ordered by ELO but it's random whether you are highest ELO or lowest ELO on the team). Thinking things like "I am one of them players that are always last pick or second last pick" is 1) completely false and 2) the same sort of thinking that leads to thinking "I always have the trolls on my team, I am in ELO hell"... it's just wrong
(edited 12 years ago)
Just went 20/0/7 in an AI game with 179 creep score jungling Fiora. Was pointless but fun.
Original post by M_E_X
I disagree.

To rise ELO you don't need to "carry" every game, you just need to win games. Supports can influence winning a game a lot. In fact, I'm sure I could get to silver ELO again (from a new level 30 account) playing only support champs. When I got from new account -> silver in two days on this account, I didn't carry every game with 20/0/x on Kog'maw...I just made sure I won games consistently. That means not arguing with team mates and using my experience/"intelligence" in the game (such as when to push, when to take a free baron, when to trap them, when to extend laning phase and when to cut it short, etc etc). I could do that on any role.

(Also I have a ridiculous win% with supports, I'm 4/4 with Janna on my main, 1/1 with her on my side, and 1/1 with support Galio on my side too...so 6/6 total as support across those two champs).

Sure, if you play Soraka every game and just heal and restore mana to your carry, you won't be successful. But that's not playing support properly - you have to harass, counterward, win trades...there is a lot more to playing support than some people seem to think.

e: What players are "always last pick or second last pick"? It is random where you are placed within a team (well it's ordered by ELO but it's random whether you are highest ELO or lowest ELO on the team). Thinking things like "I am one of them players that are always last pick or second last pick" is 1) completely false and 2) the same sort of thinking that leads to thinking "I always have the trolls on my team, I am in ELO hell"... it's just wrong

We had Trist Ali bot lane. Shyvana goes afk at the start for 5 minutes. While mid Annie goes 0-3 to Cassiopeia and then proceeds to afk. Warwick at top is also losing, hes 0-2 with 35 cs at 14 minutes into the game. While Tristina is losing out on last hits due to his mechanical errors.

The only chance to win these games is to carry them. With as a support you cannot do.

The unlucky players are the ones that are last pick. You can already tell that the games probaly a loss if your forced onto support without duoing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 884
We had Trist Ali bot lane. Shyvana goes afk at the start for 5 minutes. While mid Annie goes 0-3 to Cassiopeia and then proceeds to afk. Warwick at top is also losing, hes 0-2 with 35 cs at 14 minutes into the game. While Tristina is losing out on last hits due to his mechanical errors.

The only chance to win these games is to carry them. With as a support you cannot do.

Er...I think in that case, whatever champion you play, you will likely lose. If you are 4v5 and losing every lane, even if you "play a carry", you are still very likely to lose....I mean if you played Tris instead of Ali, do you really think you would have won that game? With Annie AFK, a fed Cass on the enemy team, WW 0-2 and failing at top, and Shyvana way behind? I doubt it.

Every time you lose you shouldn't think "oh if I was a carry we would have won this!". LoL is a team game, from my experience it's very unlikely that one person wins it for their team...it's important to build a balanced team and to work together, the "I MUST CARRY MY TEAM" mentality from others was one of the most frustrating things for me whilst I was levelling up my side.

The unlucky players are the ones that are last pick. You can already tell that the games probaly a loss if your forced onto support without duoing.

So you agree that when you said "If you are one of them players that are always last pick or second last pick and forced onto support then it will be down to luck wherever you can climb.", that those players don't really exist, as nobody is always last/2nd last pick? Right?

[QUOTE=FloydRix;36616270You can already tell that the games probaly a loss if your forced onto support without duoing.
:facepalm2: This is the sort of negative attitude that does lose games. If you really think that/say that to your team, then yes, you probably will lose (and deservedly so!).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 885
Also guys I've just left the TSR team, I've been in it for several months now and not played a single game, and no sign of one being organised any time soon. Whoever was in charge of that...it's a shambles.
Original post by M_E_X
Also guys I've just left the TSR team, I've been in it for several months now and not played a single game, and no sign of one being organised any time soon. Whoever was in charge of that...it's a shambles.

Well there isn't an actual TSR Team for ranked matches as far as I know! I think the point of this thread is for us to bond and play matches with people we know instead of randomers.
Reply 887
Original post by Lozzaa
You can pretty much run 3 generic rune pages

AD:
Armour pen reds
AD quints
Armour yellows
MR/level blues

AP
Magic pen reds
AP quints
flat mana regen (far superior to per level) yellows OR armour if you're running a non-mana AP
Flat mres (superior for AP middles)

Support
Magic pen reds
Gold per level quints
Armour yellows
Mres/level blues

What do you think my 3 rune pages are xD

Although I made changes today. Got rid of magicpen red for support as there is no need for it - got some health instead. Also gold/5 quints is lulz imo - 3 gold per 10 seconds is 18 in 1 minute is 360 gold in 20 minutes. I think that's a joke. I use armor and MS quints.

Also, for some stupid reason I decided to waste 6.3 IP today for a fourth page and the other 5k I had on some runes - I want to try AD reds too for early game dominance - then just get LW early.
Original post by IcEmAn911
Well there isn't an actual TSR Team for ranked matches as far as I know! I think the point of this thread is for us to bond and play matches with people we know instead of randomers.

Fancy some games?
I'd possibly be up for some casual games tonight.
me too :smile:
Me three :smile:
It actually won't let connect again. So randomly. Even when I turn the firewall off :/
Reply 893
I've just played three games with DoctorJay (don't know what his name is on here?)

He owned! We won every game pretty comfortably, 20 minute surrender or soon after. He took mid every game and I was either top or support, he carried pretty hard two games and the last game he played good also. Looking forward to playing with you again soon :smile:
Original post by M_E_X
Er...I think in that case, whatever champion you play, you will likely lose. If you are 4v5 and losing every lane, even if you "play a carry", you are still very likely to lose....I mean if you played Tris instead of Ali, do you really think you would have won that game? With Annie AFK, a fed Cass on the enemy team, WW 0-2 and failing at top, and Shyvana way behind? I doubt it.

Every time you lose you shouldn't think "oh if I was a carry we would have won this!". LoL is a team game, from my experience it's very unlikely that one person wins it for their team...it's important to build a balanced team and to work together, the "I MUST CARRY MY TEAM" mentality from others was one of the most frustrating things for me whilst I was levelling up my side.

So you agree that when you said "If you are one of them players that are always last pick or second last pick and forced onto support then it will be down to luck wherever you can climb.", that those players don't really exist, as nobody is always last/2nd last pick? Right?

:facepalm2: This is the sort of negative attitude that does lose games. If you really think that/say that to your team, then yes, you probably will lose (and deservedly so!).

Hence why luck is so important.
Reply 895
Germany Hanover starting soon, should be good. Rooting for both TSM and Dignitas myself. :smile:

Here is the time table.
I'm rooting for SK as usual :biggrin:
Reply 897
Rooting for M5! I just <3 Alex Ich!
I don't think M5 have any more tricks up their sleeves.

They blitzed the last one because they just played completely differently to everyone else, now everyone does what they do.
Reply 899
Damn I need a favorite.

Quick Reply

Latest