The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by Oromis263
All of A-level maths in first year, then FMaths second? Ah, nice, my college does not offer Electronics or Computing, the latter looks so interesting. I would take the CompSci first year module should I get an offer for Natural Sciences. Do you learn a language for it? :smile:

Almost, we just have C4 to do in Jan and then maths is finished.

Yep, most schools do Python I think, but my school does Java which is cool, thinking of writing an android app over the summer :smile:
Original post by iCiaran
Almost, we just have C4 to do in Jan and then maths is finished.

Yep, most schools do Python I think, but my school does Java which is cool, thinking of writing an android app over the summer :smile:

Ah cool, I self-taught a wee bit of Python, and have written a decipher (just statistical ie monoalphabetic ciphers), and an assorted bunch of physics calculators, mainly just to deal with equations on the A-level formula book. The second project is still a work in progress ;D
Original post by Etoile
Will do! They said I would find out beginning of April... maybe no news is bad news :frown:
It'll have to be done at the start of university, all those new people... it would be good practice! :tongue:
Wow :facepalm2: Do they only have one open day each?
Wooo! And omg same, in a way I'm glad that nobody I know wants to do my subject because I wouldn't want to have to beat them :s-smilie:

They've probably just taken a bit longer than expected to process all of the applications or something. :console:
Yeah, good point. :tongue:
Hmm, I don't know, I'm going to the Oxford one though because I'm not sure I'd enjoy living in London - I like the campus universities and London is so spread out...and expensive. :/ Shame, because the universities there are really good.
Yeah, every time I see someone saying that the want to apply to Emma I hope its not for natural sciences. :tongue:
Why am I here?

like I'm going to be in the position to even apply :colonhash:
Original post by --emma--
They've probably just taken a bit longer than expected to process all of the applications or something. :console:
Yeah, good point. :tongue:
Hmm, I don't know, I'm going to the Oxford one though because I'm not sure I'd enjoy living in London - I like the campus universities and London is so spread out...and expensive. :/ Shame, because the universities there are really good.
Yeah, every time I see someone saying that the want to apply to Emma I hope its not for natural sciences. :tongue:

Biological or Physical? It's been in my considerations. I'm Physical (and reapplicant)
Biological or Physical? It's been in my considerations. I'm Physical (and reapplicant)

Biological. :smile: Although it would be nice to take a module of Physics, I don't know how easy it'd be to do.
Oh, where did you apply to originally?
Reply 446
Ah cool, I self-taught a wee bit of Python, and have written a decipher (just statistical ie monoalphabetic ciphers), and an assorted bunch of physics calculators, mainly just to deal with equations on the A-level formula book. The second project is still a work in progress ;D

I know someone who wrote a program to do all the calculations for their maths coursework xD

Spoiler

Best thing I've written so far is a minesweeper clone though :smile:
I am starting to think about applying for Natural Sciences (Physical). Can anyone tell me if there is a thread somewhere within these pages that explains some more about the process, the entry requirements etc so that I can start to work out what my chances might be of getting in? Sorry - I am sure somebody comes on here and asks this quite often but I am new to TSR.
Original post by iCiaran
I know someone who wrote a program to do all the calculations for their maths coursework xD

^_^ I did that for my physics coursework this year, but it was only a short one.
Original post by Moaning Myrtle
I am starting to think about applying for Natural Sciences (Physical). Can anyone tell me if there is a thread somewhere within these pages that explains some more about the process, the entry requirements etc so that I can start to work out what my chances might be of getting in? Sorry - I am sure somebody comes on here and asks this quite often but I am new to TSR.

Here to help, can do it in this thread. What do you know already about the application, and what sort of level are your AS grades (or equivalent)?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by --emma--
Biological. :smile: Although it would be nice to take a module of Physics, I don't know how easy it'd be to do.
Oh, where did you apply to originally?

Trinity Hall, they're still on my considerations for this year, mainly because ultimately I'd like to go back and prove to them I'm worth their consideration! >.<
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
What subjects are you doing atm? (out of curiosity)

I found out after I'd applied that results day is at the same time as the maths course - I was sinical enough to hope that it'd discouraged some people from applying :frown:

History, Politics, English Lit, Philosophy (all AS). What about you? :smile:

It might!

I have no clue how the competition for Sociology and Social Anthropology is, but being that I don't meet all the criteria, I'm hoping not too fierce. :redface:
Original post by iCiaran

Spoiler

Best thing I've written so far is a minesweeper clone though :smile:

Whoaaaa :eek: Skills.
Reply 453
Hi, do Cambridge accept AS level retakes? Also for the philosophy undergraduate, would my alevels be okay? Psychology, Biology and Sociology. Lastly, I'm going to start AS level Religious Studies in September (I'm currently in year 12) would it be frowned upon that I'm doing my 4th AS level in my second year of sixth form? Thank you
Original post by YazB7
Hi, do Cambridge accept AS level retakes? Also for the philosophy undergraduate, would my alevels be okay? Psychology, Biology and Sociology. Lastly, I'm going to start AS level Religious Studies in September (I'm currently in year 12) would it be frowned upon that I'm doing my 4th AS level in my second year of sixth form? Thank you

As long as you're not retaking the whole year, and that you're not resitting every single exam you do, then a resit here or there isn't that bad.
Reply 455
As long as you're not retaking the whole year, and that you're not resitting every single exam you do, then a resit here or there isn't that bad.

Thank you. But because I'm only doing 3 AS levels at the moment and then going to start another in September, will they mind?
Reply 456
Original post by YazB7
Thank you. But because I'm only doing 3 AS levels at the moment and then going to start another in September, will they mind?

Call them up and ask :smile:.
Trinity Hall, they're still on my considerations for this year, mainly because ultimately I'd like to go back and prove to them I'm worth their consideration! >.<

Oh, nice. Yeah, that'd be great. :lol:
Hey guys :smile:

It is fairly unlikely I will apply to Cambridge (certainly not Oxford) but I'll still keep track of this thread as long as I can be bothered. :tongue:

I want to do economics at uni, though as it is so competitive I can't help but feel that applying to Cambridge will be a waste of an application.

Attained 4 A*'s, 6A's, a Distinction and a Merit at GCSE (pretty meh).

Recently attained 4A's in my Jan AS exams in maths/further maths, economics and physics with an average UMS of 87%. However, I underperformed somewhat and reckon I can do much better in my summer exams, an average somewhere closer to 95%.

So... worth me applying? :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kidioteque
Careful not to overdo it, they don't care unless it's relevant. Good luck, I too have shortlisted Homerton. :smile:

Really? Ah well, it still shows I do have a bit o a lie outside of school :tongue: and I have changed my mind about Homerton now, I have whittled it down to Murray Edwards and Newnham. I found my outcome very surprising because at the start I immediately discarded the women only colleges but after a LOT of research I actually love them :biggrin:

Latest