The Student Room Group

What things do you want to see made legal/illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Fractional reserve.
Reply 101
Original post by No Future
Alcohol has more benefits and fewer harms than tobacco, in moderation.

So, basically what you mean by this is that YOU enjoy to drink alcohol but because you don't smoke then smoking must be wrong.. Alcohol is to the liver what smoking is to the lungs.. :wink:
Original post by travoot
So, basically what you mean by this is that YOU enjoy to drink alcohol but because you don't smoke then smoking must be wrong.. Alcohol is to the liver what smoking is to the lungs.. :wink:

Actually, no future does have a point. If I drink, I am not forcing others around me to breathe in my filthy habit; nor do I cause them breathing problem from inhaling.

Alcohol does help me see and walk better.:redface:
Reply 103
Original post by OU Student
Actually, no future does have a point. If I drink, I am not forcing others around me to breathe in my filthy habit; nor do I cause them breathing problem from inhaling.

Alcohol does help me see and walk better.:redface:

So, by your logic, as I am myself a vegetarian and thus do not partake in any food cooked off of a barbecue, I should be justified then in putting fourth a rationale that all barbecues should be banned? After all it's been proven that the fumes from a barbecue (like second hand smoke you see) are far, far worse than that of a cigarette.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3106039.stm

Alas, I wouldn't suggest outlawing a barbecue because I'm not a sanctimonious, pretentious, obnoxious fool.. :wink:
Original post by wtfCharlie
Euthanasia - legal
Smoking around kids or in public - illegal

What's wrong with smoking in public? I'm sure the fact that you're outside will make the effects of second hand smoke negligible.
Original post by the-snail

What about the smokers who stay at home because they can't smoke in the pub?

These don't exist.
Original post by travoot

Um no, I could quite happily not drink at all.

Alcohol in moderate amounts is not harmful.

Smoking is harmful.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Oh, finally, there should be no defence for 'defence of property'. If you have a choice between hurting someone and letting them take your property, it really should be the latter.

Gun ownership is fine so long as we bump up sentences for firing them inappropriately six or seven times. If you shoot at someone, it should be a mandatory life sentence.

Seriously? Dont you think that would just encourage criminals to act with even more impunity? And why should anybody be forced to just allow some piece of trash to take their hard earned, possibly even treasured or sentimental possessions without putting up a fight? If a burglar doesnt want to get stabbed or shot then he shouldnt have decided to become a burglar in the first place, its as simple as that.
Reply 108
Original post by Captain Haddock
These don't exist.

They do to an extent. Albeit anyone who doesen't want to go to the pub on any given night because they don't fancy standing outside in the cold every twenty minutes probably isn't that up for it in the first place.. But they do exist.

Smoking is harmful.

Exactly. Smoking also harms those around you. Can't say I know of anyone who has been harmed by someone drinking around them.
Reply 110
Legal:

Cannabis, LSD, Magic Mushrooms.

Illegal:

Islam
Any further immigration that isnt on a very very strict basis.
Immigrants family members entering the country for any longer than a holiday.
(edited 12 years ago)

Smoking is harmful.

Alcohol in moderate amounts is still harmful. Why do you think athletes avoid alcohol?

Frankly I think it's ridiculous that anyone is advocating the prohibition of alcohol/tobacco/other drugs on the basis that they're 'harmful'. So what? You all probably eat loads of harmful food, do harmful things (driving for example) and see no problem with doing that.

Drugs should be legal on the basis that people should have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies. I support the legalisation of cannabis just as much as I support the legalisation of all other drugs. I'm a regular weed smoker and have no intention of ever touching narcotics but I support their legalisation all the same because I want the right to do what I want with my own body. I'm capable of looking after myself. In fact, I probably eat/drink/live more healthily than the majority of people on this site and yet here we have a bunch of people telling other people that certain things should be illegal because they're bad for you. Unbelievable. Whatever happened to freedom?
Original post by travoot

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/09/why-alcohol-is-good-for-you/

http://www.cracked.com/article_18651_the-6-most-surprising-ways-alcohol-actually-good-you_p2.html

As far as I can tell it is generally undisputed that alcohol is in some sense good for you if drunk in moderation.
Original post by Dr. Bassman
Alcohol in moderate amounts is still harmful. Why do you think athletes avoid alcohol?

Frankly I think it's ridiculous that anyone is advocating the prohibition of alcohol/tobacco/other drugs on the basis that they're 'harmful'. So what? You all probably eat loads of harmful food, do harmful things (driving for example) and see no problem with doing that.

Drugs should be legal on the basis that people should have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies. I support the legalisation of cannabis just as much as I support the legalisation of all other drugs. I'm a regular weed smoker and have no intention of ever touching narcotics but I support their legalisation all the same because I want the right to do what I want with my own body. I'm capable of looking after myself. In fact, I probably eat/drink/live more healthily than the majority of people on this site and yet here we have a bunch of people telling other people that certain things should be illegal because they're bad for you. Unbelievable. Whatever happened to freedom?

lulwhut? Look at my first post, I am clearly not anti drug.

I am only anti smoking because the risks outweigh the benefits. For some other drugs I support their legalization because the benefits outweigh the harms.

It's all about risks v benefits
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 114
Original post by RolyBholi
I want to see the age of consent raised to 18.

How ridiculously foolish beyond all comprehension, the age of consent
deters absoloutely no one anyway!!
Reply 115
Original post by Obfuscator

I would also get rid of any of the 'anti-terror' laws that have been put in place to try and suppress freedom of speech. People should be able to protest where they want aboutt what they want, as long as it is not violent or inciting racial hatred or the likes, without being oppressed by the police.

So basically, you want Islamic extremists to be able to do/say what they like but the evil whitey people/non muslims/those who disprove of Islam who you deem as 'racist', shouldnt be able to?

Terrorists are a danger to us and should be dealt with accordingly.

Shocking you want a law introducing that would put the GBP in danger.

Not much of a surprise, to be honest.
Reply 116
Original post by Bobifier
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/09/why-alcohol-is-good-for-you/

http://www.cracked.com/article_18651_the-6-most-surprising-ways-alcohol-actually-good-you_p2.html

As far as I can tell it is generally undisputed that alcohol is in some sense good for you if drunk in moderation.

Seeing as it is then undisputed that barbecue fumes, second hand or otherwise are far, far worse than cigarette smoke, do you then agree that barbecues should be banned? I don't think they should be, I'm just playing with the same logic as the poster who suggested cigarettes should be banned.
Reply 117
I'd like to see high fuel prices made illegal and the ban on smoking indoors to be lifted.
Original post by Dr. Bassman

I'm not an athlete, nor is the average person.

Just because an athlete does it, doesn't mean it's the "healthiest thing".

Some athletes also abuse laxatives and self induce vomiting. Should the average person follow their example here too?

If you want to demonstrate that moderate amounts of alcohol are harmful, then post some research papers on the matter. Stating that some athletes avoid alcohol doesn't tell us anything definitive about the risks or benefits of alcohol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 119
Original post by chrisawhitmore
While working at Next, I was asked if we had pair of skin tight, leather effect leggings in a size 22. We did. I took a moral stand and lied to the customer.

You should allow people to dress as they like, how ignorant of you.

Not really surprising your a bloke.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending