The Student Room Group

Will universities care if i do not retake a GCSE?

I am applying to study economics at university. My two top choices are Newcastle and Loughborough.
However Newcastle and Loughborough have put in my required grades a B at GCSE English along with AAB at a level. However i only got a C when i took my GCSEs.
If i put one of these universities down as my firm and i get AAB but do not retake my english GCSE will they care?

My other three choices are Sheffield, bournemouth and Swansea.

Thanks for any help, every peice of information will be much appreciated.
If it is part of the requirement to get a B in english and you do not get the B in english then they have a right to reject you - even if you get the A level grades. You could e-mail them and ask, but the requirement must be there for a reason. I hope that is of some help and good luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
he's saying he has the offer?... so i'm guessing if they've excepted you, and not asked foe english GCSE in your offer... no you won't need it, what do you study at A level? also is a B really a problem to get? my class was taught the whole course in a year including coursework...i got A in lang A in lit, and that was one of the lower sets
Reply 3
That will mean you do not meet their entry requirements but email them and ask them to make sure.
Reply 4
i study economics, biology and physical education. I have emailed them and they were pretty stubborn about it and said they advise me not to choose their course. However i still want to take the risk as i believe getting an A at A level economics is 10 times harder than a B at GCSE english
Reply 5
Original post by ishfish25
i study economics, biology and physical education. I have emailed them and they were pretty stubborn about it and said they advise me not to choose their course. However i still want to take the risk as i believe getting an A at A level economics is 10 times harder than a B at GCSE english

Have you already applied and received an offer?
What does that offer say?
Did you state on your UCAS form when you applied that you were retaking this GCSE?
Reply 6
Yes i have already recieved an offer. It says AAB at a level and B in GCSE english.
I did not state that on my UCAS and i am not going to retake it as i don't want to take any revision time away from my A levels.
Reply 7
Original post by ishfish25
Yes i have already recieved an offer. It says AAB at a level and B in GCSE english.
I did not state that on my UCAS and i am not going to retake it as i don't want to take any revision time away from my A levels.

If your offer states you need a B at GCSE then you need a B at GCSE. If you do not have that you miss your offer and they will not accept you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending