The Student Room Group

Failed first year of uni

Hated my course and could never really motivate myself to do work simply because i disliked it and also didnt make the right friends, course friends had their own groups and my flat friends were just okay

Im considering doing another degree next year but the fact that i have failed first year will university's still consider me, would they see that i have already done 1 year and dropped out?

And also what about student loans? i know it covers up to 4 years
but since the tuition fees have increased does that mean i wont be entitled to the £3000 that im now and have to pay the extra just for a new degree?

Just feel like what a waste of money and time this year has been really annoyed with not only myself but the fact i have let my parents down to and i feel so ashamed

Any help and advice appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by Son234
Hated my course and could never really motivate myself to do work simply because i disliked it and also didnt make the right friends, course friends had their own groups and my flat friends were just okay

Im considering doing another degree next year but the fact that i have failed first year will university's still consider me, would they see that i have already done 1 year and dropped out?

but since the tuition fees have increased does that mean i wont be entitled to the £3000 that im now and have to pay the extra just for a new degree?

Just feel like what a waste of money and time this year has been really annoyed with not only myself but the fact i have let my parents down to and i feel so ashamed

If you repeat the year on the same course at the same university you'll pay the old (£3000) fee, but if you start a new course at the same uni or at a new uni altogether you'll pay the new (£9000) fee.

It sounds to me like you could do with a gap year, if you're not motivated now it's unlikely you'll be motivated in September.
If you're gonna pay the increased fees anyway I'd say it's better to wait for a year or two as I suspect a few unis will reduce their fees when they see how their new ones affect application rates.
Reply 2
In exactly the same position, but I was told that I'd be unsuccessful everywhere else because other University's would see that you're older and will want to know what you did the previous year. If you say you failed at another University they will ask for a transcript from your previous course's leader and judging by results they'll reject you. This is what I've been told by my head of course today.
Reply 3
Original post by Son234

I was in exactly the same boat with my course, but only lasted just over 2 months. I managed to transfer internally (not through UCAS) to a different course at the same Uni for entry this September, and I'm staying on the OLD fee system - i.e £3000, because I've only 'suspended' my studies.

Obvioulsy this would mean finding something else you wanted to do, which is by no means an easy decision. I was lucky in the sense that I knew what I wanted to change to.

I just thought I'd mention this, as someone above said that you would be on the new fee system if you changed course, which wasn't true for me.
Reply 4
thanks for the replies.

I resited my maths alevel last month and im hoping to get either an A or B.

This will boost my ucas points and i think i am going to change degrees and go to a different university with the new increased regime.
Reply 5
Original post by Son234

I failed my first year of university years ago because of the same reasons you have mentioned. Hated the uni, the course, and most of the people around me. Admittedly, a lot of this was entirely self-inflicted but I felt I needed a change of scenery as it were.

Thus, I dropped out and re applied and went to a different university the following year. I didn't mention that I failed a year elsewhere, and was never asked about it. I can safely say it was the best decision I have ever made (even if it meant going to a much lower ranked institution) as I had great time, made a lot of friends, and graduated with a good degree.

I felt horrendous after dropping out too, and similarly felt I had let me parents down. Fortunately they were very supportive, and told me that they knew I wasn't enjoying my original first year and that I seemed very different that year. With regards to the loans, this happened to me before the introduction of the new fees, so I can't help with that one. It certainly is a very expensive decision to make (cost me an extra 6-7k) so definitely think it over before making the leap.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any other questions.
Reply 6
Original post by G-man89
I failed my first year of university years ago because of the same reasons you have mentioned. Hated the uni, the course, and most of the people around me. Admittedly, a lot of this was entirely self-inflicted but I felt I needed a change of scenery as it were.

Thus, I dropped out and re applied and went to a different university the following year. I didn't mention that I failed a year elsewhere, and was never asked about it. I can safely say it was the best decision I have ever made (even if it meant going to a much lower ranked institution) as I had great time, made a lot of friends, and graduated with a good degree.

I felt horrendous after dropping out too, and similarly felt I had let me parents down. Fortunately they were very supportive, and told me that they knew I wasn't enjoying my original first year and that I seemed very different that year. With regards to the loans, this happened to me before the introduction of the new fees, so I can't help with that one. It certainly is a very expensive decision to make (cost me an extra 6-7k) so definitely think it over before making the leap.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any other questions.

Thats encouraging to hear. I could of stayed on and finished my current degree but i would of been so moody and depressed.

I feel thats not how i want to spend my time in university.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest