The Student Room Group

Why do youtube videos reload when I replay it?

When you start a video, theres a light grey bar which indicates the loading of the video. How comes when I replay the video (by clicking the 'replay' button or by clicking somewhere random on the horizontal play line), the video will load/buffer again?

It never used to be like this, but recently I've noticed that for some videos, this problem occurs. Anyone else experience this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It could be to do with the amount of memory you have allocated to the cache. So set it to a higher value and see if that works.
Original post by marsman13
It could be to do with the amount of memory you have allocated to the cache. So set it to a higher value and see if that works.

how is this done?
Reply 3
Original post by internet tough guy
how is this done?

If you are using Firefox go to Options>Advanced>overide automatic cache management

For internet explorer go to Internet options>General>Browsing History>Settings>then change disk space to use

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by marsman13
If you are using Firefox go to Options>Advanced>overide automatic cache management

For internet explorer go to Internet options>General>Browsing History>Settings>then change disk space to use

Hope this helps :smile:

Just to get back to you, I tried that and it didn't work unfortunately. I have IE9, chrome and firefox and the problem persists on all three of those browsers. I really don't understand whats wrong, its not like it happens to all videos, only to some - interestingly enough it seems to happen on most of the Vevo music videos. And as far as I know, I don't have a similar problem on other video websites - in myspace for example I've tested by playing a 20min video.

Anyway like I said, this problem seems very strange, because obviously when you've finished watching a video on youtube, it would've loaded/buffered completely, so why does it start all over again when I click replay....:confused:, and also I've only noticed this problem within the last month or so, I haven't done anything drastic to my computer, except for maybe updating my adobe flash player.
Reply 5
Probably because they assume everyone has connections which can deal with Youtube videos. Unfortunately, not everyone does
Original post by Arekkusu
Probably because they assume everyone has connections which can deal with Youtube videos. Unfortunately, not everyone does

sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean by that, my internet may not be the quickest but it can buffer youtube videos fast enough so that I can click play immedietly without having to wait
Reply 7
Original post by internet tough guy
sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean by that, my internet may not be the quickest but it can buffer youtube videos fast enough so that I can click play immedietly without having to wait

Heh, is that so...
Reply 8
Must be something to do with all of these changes they have made lately
Reply 9
Ugh youtube killed my smartphone.....:angry:
Original post by M4LLY
Must be something to do with all of these changes they have made lately

They have made alot of changes over the past few months, but I haven't heard or know of anyone having the same problem as me......
Reply 11
Happens to me too, it's not a big deal but it's something I've noticed and kind of irks me because I have an internet cap...
Original post by Zotler
Happens to me too, it's not a big deal but it's something I've noticed and kind of irks me because I have an internet cap...

yeah I can imagine it being even worse having an internet cap, it just annoys me because it never used to be like this and it seems like it has somethng to do with the memory/size of the video being played (shorter videos with less quality won't reload again when I replay them), and this problem seems to be specific to youtube.
Reply 14
I've noticed this problem, I've been having a lot of problems with YouTube in general recently. Before videos buffered very quickly and now they are taking a long time to buffer, no changes to my internet other things work fine. Ever my phone can buffer it faster than my PC and that is in HD not mobile version of it.
Reply 15
bump - I have this "problem" on Chrome and I'm sure it never used to happen. Also, any time you skip backwards or forwards in a fully-loaded video it dumps the whole thing and reloads from scratch, which is absurd.

Is this just how YT works these days? It eats up so much bandwidth.
Reply 16
Did you maximise the video some time throughout the video?

If you did then the resolution might've changed automatically, from 360p to like 720p, so it loads the new resolution part way through. When you replay it from the start, it will try to load the full video from the beginning with the new resolution.

Hope that makes some sense.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Getting the same issue except if i put the video 5 seconds back, it reloads the entire thing from the start up until where i want it to play from :angry: its as if it deletes the data after viewing, there must be a setting to hold on to the data until you navigate to a different window. It must be part of the auto settings where it selects optimum picture quality as well.
Reply 18
Original post by Glitch96
Getting the same issue except if i put the video 5 seconds back, it reloads the entire thing from the start up until where i want it to play from :angry: its as if it deletes the data after viewing, there must be a setting to hold on to the data until you navigate to a different window. It must be part of the auto settings where it selects optimum picture quality as well.

Same here - I think that's just how YT does it now, not sure though.
Reply 19
Yep, I've noticed it too, quite annoying, hoping to find an answer somewhere. Being a developer there is no valid reason for doing this unless you change the resolution of the video being watched, where the download would have to reload from where it was for the higher res. Ignoring the already cached video in favour of re-downloading what's already there is either poor programming, poor QA, Adobe has shares in internet traffic sales(?) or they just don't care about such an illogical dev option. As three of the options are unlikely for a large corporation, perhaps we shouldn't just accept that this is something they 'just do', especially when it was right before :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending