The Student Room Group

The Standard Grade Chemistry Thread!

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I hope your paper is easy :smile: I'm doing higher just now but last year I came out and thought I failed because I forgot what the number above the atomic number was called (I will remember forever that its called an isotope...)

Hope you get that 1/1!
Reply 2
Hi There :smile: I started to revise for chemistry 2 days ago :smile: Doing some past papers and I'm having some problems with PS question, but hopefully those 10 days are enough to get them right :smile: I've got 1:1 in my prelim so hope to get that in the actual exam :smile:
Original post by nerd434
Haha, how did you end up doing? Is Higher a big jump?

I got a 1/1 and Higher is a big jump in my opinion. But I did it wrong. If you do Higher. ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION! Only advice I can give. I hardly payed attention the full year and now in every past paper I do I can't get an A always getting a B.

Not looking forward to the 14th xD
Hi! :smile:

Only have modern between now and the chemistry so really starting to focus on the chemistry now. Got a 1:1 on the prelim and hoping to get the same in the exam. Taking it at higher next year.

Just a note on the past papers- if you are doing any really, really old ones (I think the one I came across this in was 1992) then don't do what my class did and panic if there is a question you can't do about detergents. We spent about half a period looking for the answers to the question but it isn't actually in the course anymore!
Reply 5
Original post by TheFOMaster
I hope your paper is easy :smile: I'm doing higher just now but last year I came out and thought I failed because I forgot what the number above the atomic number was called (I will remember forever that its called an isotope...)

Hope you get that 1/1!

Is it not called the mass number?
Reply 6
Original post by anthonyfl

Yes its the atomic mass number.

I'm hoping for a 1/1 in chemistry. It's the best science there is. I hope to take it all the way to advanced higher and beyond.
Reply 7
Original post by BigChimp
Yes its the atomic mass number.

I'm hoping for a 1/1 in chemistry. It's the best science there is. I hope to take it all the way to advanced higher and beyond.

Me too but a 1:1 and 1:2 are a 1 either way :smile: I'm hoping to take it to advanced higher too, but only because I want to do medicine/dentistry
Reply 8
Me too but a 1:1 and 1:2 are a 1 either way :smile: I'm hoping to take it to advanced higher too, but only because I want to do medicine/dentistry

To be honest I'd be happy with a two as that's enough to get me to higher. I'm hoping for a one though because of the work i've put in. I only want to take it to AH as i want to do chemical engineering!
Reply 9
I did SG Chemistry last year and got a 1:1. I hated chemistry throughout 3rd year and the start of 4th year cause I never actually got the hang of it. I didn't understand what it was all about and had no base understanding. After my disastrous prelim which i got a 7:1 in I realised I needed to get some work done. I walked out the exam hall last year thinking I had aced every question and hoped for a letter from the SQA but unfortunately I never received it :frown: Now chemistry is my most enjoyable subject! All I can say is good luck guys! and I think I'm pretty clued up on most things in SG chemistry now so PM if you need any help.
Reply 10
Using a success guide and 2002-2010 past papers I created my own notes and linked the info with past paper questions. Before I did that I spent 3 hours with my chemistry teacher pretty much learning the basics you learn at the start of 3rd year as early on I paid no attention and regret doing this in my early secondary education.
Im really worried about the chemistry exam. My teacher retired half way through the year and we got a probationer and I struggled with chemistry from the start! Im on track to get 1's for everything but a 3 in Chemistry! Any tips on last minute studying to pull it up to a credit 2?
Original post by CameronMiller
Im really worried about the chemistry exam. My teacher retired half way through the year and we got a probationer and I struggled with chemistry from the start! Im on track to get 1's for everything but a 3 in Chemistry! Any tips on last minute studying to pull it up to a credit 2?

Well I know a girl who only done the second year of standard grade chemistry and she got a two! In the prelim she got a 7:7 though haha. She got a two by doing the past papers over and over and over again. You must realise there are only a certain amount of questions that can be asked. Once you perfect them, you're ready to go. If she can do it with about 6-7 months of standard grade chemistry then so can you! :smile:
Reply 13
Hey,

Yeah I used to be really bad at chem but a full day of looking over notes and doing pastpapers has got my conf right up!!

Evans2chemweb <-- a great site for notes.

Goodluckk!
Original post by Aay
Hey,

Yeah I used to be really bad at chem but a full day of looking over notes and doing pastpapers has got my conf right up!!

Evans2chemweb <-- a great site for notes.

Goodluckk!

Evans2chemweb is an amazing site. For the first year of the course my class were having a terrible time with a teacher who didn't give notes/allow you to take notes properly and so most of us learned the first topics from the sites summary notes. They also have an excellent feature that allows you to practice balancing equations.
However, your school does need a subscription and if it doesn't have one you wont be able to access it.

Just out of interest, what study books does everyone have? I've used the "How to Pass" book since the start of 3rd year and love it, but have friends who prefer the "Success Guide". Is there that big a difference between books?
Original post by nerd434
I'm using the Leckie and Leckie Success Guide!

Do you like it? Does it have the little mini quizzes in it like the physics one does?
I'm just trying to work out whether it would be worth my while nipping down to the library to borrow a copy or if I should just focus on my revision cards/past papers at this point. :biggrin:
Original post by nerd434
I'm not sure whether it would make a significant difference, after all both textbooks are authorised and presumably have to contain all the content of the course.

As for small tests, they have the quick questions at the bottom of the page but they are really simple and have no comparison to the exam questions. They do help re-iterate knowledge though!

And you know how in the Physics book they had a 'Test your Knowledge' page at the end of each topic, well the Chemistry book doesn't have that because there is a lot more topics. It just has the small ones at the bottom of each page.

It's still good though, it's worked for me since S3!

Thank you! :smile:

I don't think I'll go out of my way to pick up a copy then- sounds roughly like the one I already have! Although I do like the end of topic quiz idea- it's good when you are revising in a group.

Yes it is. But the question was what is the same elements with different mass numbers called or something like that.
Original post by TheFOMaster
Yes it is. But the question was what is the same elements with different mass numbers called or something like that.

Cool :smile:
Original post by nerd434
I've almost finished revising the whole course! Only got to go over Ionic Formulae, Bonding Properties and Fuels/Hydrocarbons and then I'm done and can move on to Past Papers!

I just go straight to past papers and when I trip up on something I learn it. Although I have a chemistry tutor :smile: It doesn't mean I don't need to work hard though

Quick Reply

Latest