The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Did anyone else get an audition for the 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Essex Girl
Daughter said people reprimanded at her rehearsal yesterday for using their phones to photograph or film.
Also a reminder given out about not doing Facebook Check Ins on your locations too.

Cannot help thinking they should have kept all rehearsals in a covered building - keeps the secrecy to a point and also avoids weather extremes.

EG

apparently it's looking increasingly likely that the weather isn't going to let up, so I can see why it is outside, if we can do it in the worst possible conditions that could get us on the night, then we're prepared for the worst. Our props, at the very least, are definitely something that need to be practised outside. We've had a lot of rehearsals outside and there's a big sign at the rehearsal space that says what is going on, and so far there is only one picture which doesn't really give away anything major as far as I can tell? Pretty good going thus far.
Original post by Flakeydom
But where would be big enough is probably the problem... plus we probably do need to practice in all conditions, just in case it tips it down/blows a storm on the night.

Oh I think they rehearse things... just not at the dress rehearsals. I mean they did practice the cauldron lighting at Vancouver but apparently after the dress rehearsals when there was no audience left. During the dress rehearsal, they just made sure that everyone else was where they were supposed to be at that point. Bear in mind that there are some bits they can't rehearse - how the athletes will behave for one!

I think that's also the idea behind trying to make sure that the audiences are often primarily volunteers and friends/family of them - so that there's still some interest in making the Games start well.

But, they need to show enough that people don't come out saying that it's rubbish and enough for the TV commentators etc on the night to be able to talk knowledgeably about certain pieces.

hmmmm, can't say anything, but there's stuff that needs to, at the very least logistically, need to be practised outside, with, I would imagine, our section there, because we're involved with it.
Original post by Dancerwoman
With the photo appearing in the Daily Mail, am I the only one who's worried in relation to the dress rehearsals? Surely Casting must do something in relation to keeping that element a surprise?

I'd be sorely disappointed if it leaks out what each section is wearing and what props (if any) are included in the various segments :frown:

If things keeping "leaking out" to the gutter press, it would - I feel - be extremely soul destroying to many of us who have been careful not to reveal certain elements and have adhered to the Confidentiality bit.

I know nothing of the layout, but where is fop in relation to the entire park? Because I guess they will just ensure no press allowed into the whole park during rehearsals. Would that not be adequate? So, short of hiring a copter the week before it starts I can't see much being seen by the press? Did someone mention a canopy or did I imagine that? So far there have been no revelations too bad, especially re pics of props, and we are currently very visible. My best friend is an olympics editor for a newspaper, and she doesn't want to know anything, most people seem to be very up for the surprise element. Same with friends and family, don't you find?
Reply 9343
I am just disappointed with the leaks..I know people are interested and would love to know BUT its like Christmas....why spoil the surprise?? Most are very happy to wait and when they family and friends ask, I just shrug my shoulders and say I can't say what is going on and they all appreciate my reasons for keeping shtum :redface:

It will all get sorted and those who have violated their agreements should be severely reprimanded.....just not cricket is it???
Original post by Bignic12
I am just disappointed with the leaks..I know people are interested and would love to know BUT its like Christmas....why spoil the surprise??

I agree entirely. But there are some who like going hunting for their Christmas presents, shake the box or even open the parcel and wrap it back up again... or read the spoilers for their favourite TV show etc. It tends to be justified by saying that the anticipation of knowing what's coming is better than the surprise but I remain unconvinced! :confused:
With the number of people taking part and modern technology I think some leaks are inevitable but I don't think it ultimately matters that much. I think the vast majority of the general public will watch and enjoy the ceremonies proper but really aren't bothered by stolen shots or fuzzy film of bits of the ceremony or details of particular costumes or props (I think there were pretty major leaks at Beijing and that went pretty well). A lot of info on the themes has already been officially released. They could hugely increase the security budget (which I'm sure is already hefty) and create roofs and tents for everything but I don't think the massive costs would be justified by any extra benefit - I'd rather the budget was focused on the ceremonies themselves. A cheap deterrent would be to actually carry out their threats, and instead of 'reprimanding' people who are filming or taking photos to actually kick them out - we've been told enough times that filming is forbidden.
Reply 9346
I'm a sometime pilot and have been to the airspace briefings so can confirm that there's no risk of a helicopter taking shots of the stadium dress rehearsals as the airspace is restricted.

But I agree with Caroline - some leaks areto be expected, and most people would be unworried. Unless they're angry Daily Mail/Torygraph readers.
Reply 9347
Original post by Redthunder
Hello All

Great to have a good read and catch up on here. Sounds like rehearsals are going very well, if not a little wet and windy! Do we still have people waiting to hear? Hope not :wink:

Just reading through I'm slightly worried at some date changes you've all had. I've now booked all my accommodation and train tickets and really pleased that I've managed to afford it (at £11-£25 a night!) but I am unable to do two rehearsals. One I would miss my daughters annual dance show and I just couldn't not go to that and the other is my sons annual swimming championships, again couldn't miss it. But having read the terms I can miss two maximum, so I was happy with how it had worked.

So now I'm all organised and starting to get nervous and excited but equally slightly worried now that they'll change dates around. If they do I just can't afford to change what I've booked :frown:
I know they can change as it was only an initial schedule given but with para's I had to book train etc quick as prices during Olympic were soaring so couldn't afford to wait and see if anything changes.

Anyway, in my very own rambling fashion, I suppose I'm asking those already rehearsing, how many dates/times have changed so far?
Hope you're all enjoying it lots....you'll be amazing! :smile: X

Hi, i have also had to book all my trains and accomodation, but i am paying about £30-£40 night :frown: Going to send you PM
45 days to go...

I was tempted by this picture - a pile of old 45s
Attachment not found

But then I found this number 45 - ah, decisions, decisions! I do like a well-toned shoulder/arm on a bloke!
Attachment not found
i am rather confused about the neg all above:K:
Reply 9350
At rehearsals I noticed a few cast memebers wearing offical "ceromonies" t-shirts. Does anyone know where you get these from?
Reply 9351
Original post by 1983mike
At rehearsals I noticed a few cast memebers wearing offical "ceromonies" t-shirts. Does anyone know where you get these from?

Was just going to ask the same Question!
Reply 9352
Original post by Olympian
Hi, i have also had to book all my trains and accomodation, but i am paying about £30-£40 night :frown: Going to send you PM

I'm sitting on the bus in e London and there's an advert for brand new student accommodation in aldgate east (close to Liverpool st & stratford). Www.crm-students.com/the curve 0844 371 5660
There are also student digs in cordwainer street/ st Thomas' square, hackney. Also try what was formerly queen Mary & Westfield uni (now uni of e London I think). Close to Stratford and lots of halls in the vicinity. There's also student accommodation off Cambridge Heath road in bethnal green, but can't remember the name.
Failing all that and if anyone ever gets stuck/misses last train/plane home, my sofa in bethnal green is available for fellow performers to crash on.

They were a 'thank you' for attending on Jubilee Sunday, so unfortunately are super exclusive. You could ask around and see if anyone doesn't want theirs.
Danny Boyle starts reveal........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18392025
Reply 9355
Original post by shadwell_lad

thought this was suppose to be secret!!!!
Reply 9356

these would be great to have at least something we can say we are performers, all the other volunteers of the olympic like torch bearers , games maker ambasdors etc have unforms pin badges etc.
maybe they will be alvailble when its over.
Original post by Kit-Yan

Failing all that and if anyone ever gets stuck/misses last train/plane home, my sofa in bethnal green is available for fellow performers to crash on.

Gosh how generous of you Kit-Yan to offer that! Do you also have a TV next to the sofa in nearby Bethnal Green where the 1000 44ers can watch the end of the ceremony when we are bussed out after our 15 minutes of fame:biggrin: :tongue: :biggrin:

I too am disappointed to see the reveal by Danny Boyle - unless he thought (another) leak was imminent.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by shadwell_lad

a full dress rehearsal for a capacity crowd of 80000. Who are the 80000?!
Original post by Pinnerite
Gosh how generous of you Kit-Yan to offer that! Do you also have a TV next to the sofa in nearby Bethnal Green where the 1000 44ers can watch the end of the ceremony when we are bussed out after our 15 minutes of fame:biggrin: :tongue: :biggrin:

I too am disappointed to see the reveal by Danny Boyle - unless he thought (another) leak was imminent.

I suppose he had to reveal something. I guess turf and trees etc will start being delivered? And the public want to know what the moneys going on. He hasn't said anything about what's going on really. Even we're still super in the dark re what the other sections are doing. No one is going to figure anything out from 'we're making it grassy!'

Still plenty of fun n surprises out there

Latest