The Student Room Group

I'm an amateur at shaving; I need advice!

When I went to the barbers, I've found that my skin feels so much more smoother when they shave my facial hair with a cut throat razor.

I'm going to start shaving my facial hair with a cut throat razor, does anybody here use a cut throat razor?

-Which cut throat razor should I use?
-Which shaving soap would you recommend?
-Which aftershave do you use?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Politricks
When I went to the barbers, I've found that my skin feels so much more smoother when they shave my facial hair with a cut throat razor.

I'm going to start shaving my facial hair with a cut throat razor, does anybody here use a cut throat razor?

Start calling it a straight razor?
Reply 2
Original post by Norton1
Start calling it a straight razor?

Is it not called a cut throat razor?
Reply 3

Sounds scary to be honest lol.
I'm not a man so I don't know about face shaving but I like this link: http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa/
Reply 5
The razor itself is a straight razor, or straight blade razor. Some might call it cut throat but I imagine they tend to be the types that fancy themselves as scallywags.
Reply 6

Do you think it would have caught on with a name like that?

Someone in the eighteenth century being leant back in the chair, his head tilted back and the barber shouting

'JOHN, get me the cut throat razor'

You'd run!
I think it's only called a cut throat razor because of Sweeny Todd (which coincidentally I re-watched last night!).
Reply 8
Original post by Norton1
Do you think it would have caught on with a name like that?

Someone in the eighteenth century being leant back in the chair, his head tilted back and the barber shouting

'JOHN, get me the cut throat razor'

You'd run!

I just did an Amazon search, they're all called cut throat razors
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=straight+razor&x=0&y=0

Edit:Nevermind I didn't read half the posts...

Gillette Shaving Cream is the best.

I also use Gillette razors but I haven't used anything else so can't compare- but they're pretty good.
Reply 10

Not going to argue with you, in terms of pure pedantry I could point out that the first one in the list is a "
Cut Throat Shaving Set from Shaving Factory with a Straight Razor and 100 Derby Professional Single Edge Razor Blades" and that they mostly use the word straight razor to describe the actual product.

If I was selling something like this I'd call it a cut throat razor as that's what people are likely to search for on amazon. It's not necessarily right.
Reply 11
I'd suggest you learn the craft using a DE razor first before jumping into bed with a straight. Tere's a lot of care and maintenance (honing, stropping etc) to get a handle on to get a straight razor shave-ready; there's even more in the way of technique and motor skills - especially if you're used to dragging an Azor, Mach 3, whatever around your chops. Based on my experience, I've put together what I'd consider an ideal starter set for ~£50:

Ideal novice's DE razor
Highly rated, easy to lather soft shaving soap
Boar brush - cheaper than badger but better for face lathering soaps
Sharp yet smooth blades that suit the razor
Also recommended blades
A styptic pencil to stop blood flowing from nicks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Straight razors are such an odd little niche. Like people who want to be old fashioned for the sake of being old fashioned.

Just learn to use a normal razor like everyone else ffs.
I would be terrified of doing it wrong.

I stick to a gillette razor and use the barber's as a treat.
Original post by py0alb
Straight razors are such an odd little niche. Like people who want to be old fashioned for the sake of being old fashioned.

Just learn to use a normal razor like everyone else ffs.

They do feel bloody good when done properly though. Having said that, I'd only have one if my hair-shearing at the barbers coincides with something worth celebrating, I wouldn't do it to myself :biggrin:
Reply 15
Seems unnecessarily difficult for an everyday job...
For shaving foam, I just get a bar of soap, work up a lather in my hands and whack it on. Always after a shower though so the skin is soft and been exposed to hot water. Saves money and I've found works just as well!

...You can tell I'm a student can't you...
Reply 17
Use a knife, you pussy:

Does a straight razor cut closer than a normal blade?
Reply 19
Original post by Aack
Use a knife, you pussy:

That's not a knife!

[video="youtube;01NHcTM5IA4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending