The Student Room Group

St Andrews Medicine Applicants 2013

Poll

What's Your UKCAT Average?

So, as one is yet to be created, I thought I'd make a thread for us St Andrews Medicine applicants for 2013 entry :smile:

Best of luck, all!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Username: Ddez
Degree: MA Mental Philosophy
UKCAT: 657.5 Avg.
Other info: Graduate applicant, so its been a long time coming!
Looks like it's just us two for both Dundee and St A at the moment! :P

When I'm next on my computer I'll adjust the OP to include your profile as well, so I can build up a sort of applicant fact-file.
Reply 3
Hey everyone. Just to say I've added the link to this thread to the Official Index for the 2013 Entry. Good luck all! :h:

Someone's going to be very happy to see this thread :rolleyes:

laurie:)
:hi:
Reply 4
yayyyy :woo:

finally! :biggrin: ive been waiting for this thread to start up for a while loool

i may be more excited than the applicants :ninja:
Original post by laurie:)
yayyyy :woo:

finally! :biggrin: ive been waiting for this thread to start up for a while loool

i may be more excited than the applicants :ninja:

Congrats on your offer! I remember you from the applicants thread last year. If it's quite all right with you, I may bombard you with questions once you've started :P
Reply 6
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Congrats on your offer! I remember you from the applicants thread last year. If it's quite all right with you, I may bombard you with questions once you've started :P

loool thats why i'm here!

loool thats why i'm here!

Ah, I suspected as much, but one can never assume :wink: I had an interview last year but stumbled when they asked me specifics about the course.. so if I get an interview again this year I'll come running straight to you :lol:
Reply 8
Ah, I suspected as much, but one can never assume :wink: I had an interview last year but stumbled when they asked me specifics about the course.. so if I get an interview again this year I'll come running straight to you :lol:

that happened to me at newcastle last year (and was probably why i got rejected) :redface: so i made sure i knew the course and the structure of the nhs in scotland like the back of my hand when i went there! have you sat your UKCAT yet?
that happened to me at newcastle last year (and was probably why i got rejected) :redface: so i made sure i knew the course and the structure of the nhs in scotland like the back of my hand when i went there! have you sat your UKCAT yet?

I thought I knew it off by heart, but they asked me the region of Scotland St. Andrews is in. That threw me and I panicked and subsequently forgot to mention dissection / their new medical building. Fail.
At least now I know it's in Fife..

And I have indeed; 715 average. Considering applying to Newcastle, actually.
Reply 10
I thought I knew it off by heart, but they asked me the region of Scotland St. Andrews is in. That threw me and I panicked and subsequently forgot to mention dissection / their new medical building. Fail.
At least now I know it's in Fife..

And I have indeed; 715 average. Considering applying to Newcastle, actually.

:eek: thats a horrible question to ask! especially for someone not from scotland

congrats, thats an awesome score :h: i really liked the newcastle course, and you'll be practically guaranteed an interview with a score like that :smile:
:eek: thats a horrible question to ask! especially for someone not from scotland

congrats, thats an awesome score :h: i really liked the newcastle course, and you'll be practically guaranteed an interview with a score like that :smile:

I thought it was a tad harsh too; a bit like asking someone from Ireland what county Keele is in.. but hey, you live and learn :

Thanks! :smile: I got 665 last year so it's quite the improvement and opens a few more doors for me.
(edited 11 years ago)
what sort of UKCAT score do you need for St.Andrews?
And what are the GCSE requirements like?
Reply 13
I thought it was a tad harsh too; a bit like asking someone from Ireland what county Keele is in.. but hey, you live and learn :P:

Thanks! :smile: I got 665 last year so it's quite the improvement and opens a few more doors for me.

congrats on your results as well, what were the A*s in? :biggrin:

btw, so off topic, but how did you find the edinburgh fringe? i went there at the beginning of august! :biggrin:
congrats on your results as well, what were the A*s in? :biggrin:

btw, so off topic, but how did you find the edinburgh fringe? i went there at the beginning of august! :biggrin:

Cheers, well done on yours too! The A*s were in Biology and Maths. Chemistry was the let-down :wink:
Nah, I was really chuffed with them. My biology teacher had refused to predict me an A* so it was good to get it - and 100% - to show her I could do it.
Maths, well.. that was a total surprise to both me and my teachers :lol:

I actually went to the Fringe last year instead of this year. So wish I could have gone again but I spent all my money in Amsterdam, aha. How'd you find it? Edinburgh descends into total chaos for most of August, it's brilliant - but my friend found it a bit daunting.
Only during the Edinburgh Fringe can you end up having a drunken chat with a bloke dressed as a zombie Einstein whilst perched on a traffic cone eating deep-fried haggis..
Reply 15
Cheers, well done on yours too! The A*s were in Biology and Maths. Chemistry was the let-down :wink:
Nah, I was really chuffed with them. My biology teacher had refused to predict me an A* so it was good to get it - and 100% - to show her I could do it.
Maths, well.. that was a total surprise to both me and my teachers :lol:

I actually went to the Fringe last year instead of this year. So wish I could have gone again but I spent all my money in Amsterdam, aha. How'd you find it? Edinburgh descends into total chaos for most of August, it's brilliant - but my friend found it a bit daunting.
Only during the Edinburgh Fringe can you end up having a drunken chat with a bloke dressed as a zombie Einstein whilst perched on a traffic cone eating deep-fried haggis..

awesome, well done :h: well, i had panic attacks during the exams, so im just happy i got at least an A in them :redface:

total chaos, but absolutely brilliant :biggrin:

we probably should stop spamming the thread :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by ginger-ninja
what sort of UKCAT score do you need for St.Andrews?
And what are the GCSE requirements like?

http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospectus/ :smile:

At St Andrews we use the UKCAT in two ways:

Firstly we set a cut off for the overall UKCAT score and applicants obtaining a score below that will not be considered for interview or a medical place. We have a limited number of interview places (around 500). Many more than 500 of our applicants offer a strong academic performance and excellent personal statement and reference. Therefore, to decide which of those strong applicants should get an interview, we use the global UKCAT score. The cut-off level depends on the number of strong applicants each year and the number of interview places available. A cut off score for each admissions cycle will be decided upon once all applications have been assessed.

Secondly, at St Andrews the UKCAT score will be used as part of an applicant's overall ranking following interview. The UKCAT score will be worth 15% of an overall admissions score. That percentage will be generated by a points system whereby applicant scores will be ranked and divided into bandings with points allocated per banding. In order to be competitive and obtain an offer, a high score would be advantageous. The average global UKCAT score for those who obtained an offer for 2012 entry was 2700.

so basically, you need to have a high enough UKCAT to both beat the cut off point for interviews, and also to add to your score post-interview :smile: they say last year the average UKCAT score was 675 however it is very hard to predict which way the cut off will go, without knowing what the UKCAT score of other applicants is. i would say (although im not an admissions tutor, remember) that if you get a relatively average/low UKCAT, say 640 and under, it would be quite risky to apply to bute.

To be called for interview, we require evidence of sustained academic performance over a number of years of study. Therefore we look at all academic qualifications or predictions from GCSEs and Standard Grades through to A Levels, Highers and Advanced Highers (or other equivalent qualifications).

From experience of applications in previous years it would appear that to be competitive, applicants with A Levels require a minimum of 8 A grades at GCSE (to include Maths and Sciences) and predictions of A*AA at A level.

so, they examine your whole academic history, rather than just your GCSES or your predictions. they do however go on to say that the minimum competitive GCSEs from past experience is 8As, and they do not mention whether they count A*s and As equally or not.
Cool, thanks. Looks like I won't be applying here then :/

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
I'm going to applying here and I am also from England :smile: So I will have to read up on the NHS in Scotland if i gain an interview. To people who have offers what attracted you to St Andrews?
Huh, thought this thread would be more popular.

but yeah another Possible St. Andrews applicant here :smile:

What route to people think they're going for Manchester or Scotland, apparently Scotland is more competative but it looks so much better :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest