The Student Room Group

Law Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

When do we need to start booking the LNAT? The website only has information about 2015/2016, not 2016/2017.
Original post by JohnGreek
Registration opens in August, and you can sit the exam from the 1st of September onwards. Or at least that was the case for last year's applications.

Would it be okay to book it in early to mid-September though?
Original post by JohnGreek
Yep. Just don't leave it too late, as you need to book a place through Pearson VUE, which is a company whose examination centres are used for exams other than the LNAT. I booked mine in early September so that I could sit it in early October, and I was surprised by how few time slots there were available in the two closest exam centres.

Maybe I should have a chat with my GST (Guidance and Support Tutor) about it then.
Original post by Aquaxo
This year was the 20th of October for Oxford and 20th Jan for other unis, or some time around then! I recommend booking it ASAP as the spaces fill very quickly. Don't leave it until late Oct/Jan to sit the test but likewise don't book it too early - the more time you have to prep, the better :-)

Thank you so much!
Also if I'm wanting to buy a revision book, which would you recommend?
Original post by livgraham99
Thank you so much!

For the LNAT? I mainly used 'Mastering the National Admissions Test for Law' - this book was really good for giving you an insight into the sneaky way in which questions are asked (and it gives you explanations about why certain options are wrong/why answers are correct), but it was a little dull in places (i.e. huge chapters about writing essays). In addition, I flicked through 'How to Pass the Law National Admissions Test' and did lots of the sample questions. I used these books mainly because these are the ones I had available; I could have done more research into which were best, so don't solely listen to me :-)

Essentially, I think all of the books are similar in their layout - the practice questions are good, but the best ones are on the LNAT website as these are directly from the exam board. In terms of essay practice, I really didn't do much. I found the sample ones on the LNAT website to be strange and others to be kind of unimpressive. The best website by far was http://www.debatingmatters.com/ - I looked through the topic guides and read the for/against arguments about nearly everything. The topics this website covers is exactly the kind of thing the LNAT asks you about, so if you have some ideas already then it will be so much easier to write a decent essay. It's super accessible and actually really interesting!

My only other tip really would be to make sure your typing speed is top-notch! The fact that the essay was typed was a gift for me because I am a pretty fast typer and I make fewer mistakes compared to when I am writing. If you are fast then you will have enough time to go back and reword sentences to make them sound better, with no scribbles! My LNAT score on the MPC was averageish (28) and I genuinely think it was my essay that got me my interviews and offers. At the end of the day, the essay is the closest thing the tutors have to seeing how you write under pressure.

Good luck and feel free to respond with any questions (same goes to anyone) - it is a refreshing break from revision :-) xxx
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey does anyone know what's classed as a good LNAT score? I did a practice paper for the first time last week and got 26, but there's no official scale on the LNAT website for what's considered good. All the threads about good LNAT scores are pretty old now too and from what I understand the standards have probably improved since then.

Any ideas as to which range of scores are up to scratch nowadays?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by livgraham99
Thank you so much!

In all honesty, outside the main practice tests provided by Pearson itself, you'll find little use in the books. They just have watered-down versions of the actual thing (in which case you don't really need to buy a book - look at the LSAT tests instead).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a place in LSE for Law 2016 entry and had stellar grades, but it is the PS that counts the most for them, provided of course your grades are good
Original post by Gold-Confetti
Hey does anyone know what's classed as a good LNAT score? I did a practice paper for the first time last week and got 26, but there's no official scale on the LNAT website for what's considered good. All the threads about good LNAT scores are pretty old now too and from what I understand the standards have probably improved since then.

Any ideas as to which range of scores are up to scratch nowadays?

there's no one good LNAT score, it is all taken into context with your other grades. For example one of my friends got BBBB at AS and got an Oxford offer with an LNAT of 30, yet another friend with AAAAAA at AS and an LNAT of 26 didn't get an Oxford place. This is not to say that simply because she he got 26 he didn't get a place. Interview, PS and general motivation are equally important.

I personally got 31 and an Oxford offer. But generally speaking, everything above the average is classed as good
Original post by LoveToArgue
there's no one good LNAT score, it is all taken into context with your other grades. For example one of my friends got BBBB at AS and got an Oxford offer with an LNAT of 30, yet another friend with AAAAAA at AS and an LNAT of 26 didn't get an Oxford place. This is not to say that simply because she he got 26 he didn't get a place. Interview, PS and general motivation are equally important.

I personally got 31 and an Oxford offer. But generally speaking, everything above the average is classed as good

Thanks for replying! I'll aim for a solid 30 then. I feel I'm definitely capable that with a bit more practice. I'm sure I can pick up 4 marks between now and the end of the year.
Yeah, of course everything is in context, I was just checking because the LNAT site is very confusing and doesn't clear anything up at all aha 😊
thanks for this thread. really helpful
i did it year before last and got 25 on it I used the mastering the lnat book which was decent. you can do a practice test using the pearson vue desktop app. also, don't be afraid to use all your time- it was funny at my center as there were people needing to sit their theory tests and the room was literally packed, this was at 6pm aswell. as soon as I got up to finish the lady came in and sat the other person down, however don't worry about them just cocncentrate on your exam and don't be afraid of using all the time your entitled to
Hey guys.
I'm interested in studying Law too however I feel like my application won't even be considered because the subjects I do at the minute are Sociology, level 3 ICT and business, however I've also paid to do a 1 year A-level course (history) to boost my chances.

I'm going to apply for Gloucester Uni, Warwick and Birmingham.

Plus I also did work experience in a law firm however that did not go well for different reasons 😂😂
Original post by academia153
When are you guys going to start preparing for the LNAT? It seems daunting...

I am beginning to prepare now, I am not sure when to book the test for though!
Guys do you know if Glasgow is good for law, all these league tables are confusing me aha
Original post by academia153
Can you guys post your GCSE grades and your predicted AS grades/UMS please?
Just to get an idea of the required standard...
Thanks!

Hey I'm applying for Law in october
12 a* at GCSE and I'm looking at Oxford, LSE, Durham, Bristol, UCL
I'm kind of scared for LNAT and how there are no interviews. I can't tell if no interviews is a good thing or not...it basically means you have to write a bomb PS
Original post by CatusStarbright
When do we need to start booking the LNAT? The website only has information about 2015/2016, not 2016/2017.

Yeah they messed up on the website, but I called them up 2 days ago and we can register from 1st August
Original post by Jasaron
Depends on your GCSEs and LNAT whether or not you get an interview for Oxford. Your PS plays a larger part for your other universities, with KCL in particular giving a lot of weight to it and the LNAT. The others have good law faculties, and you'll need decent GCSEs, LNAT if required and a strong PS. AS performance does matter, but it unlikely to have a profound impact considering the fact that many applicants are now not taking AS levels, making it harder to compare like-for-like.

I don't get how oxford works with LNAT..... SO you sit the LNAT, then submit UCAS, Then you get an interview (or not) which they decide by your LNAT score, but you don't know your score until the following september when a2 grades come out ???
Original post by Aquaxo
Speaking from experience, don't go overboard on LNAT prep and stress yourself out! I bought a couple of books and did the sample questions which helped me to see how sneaky they can be, but I did these on the beach over the summer! The LNAT is similar to an IQ test in that you aren't supposed to be able to prepare for it easily (i.e. have a tutor) so that it's a good judge of natural ability.

Good luck guys - let me know if there is anything you want to know x

Hey, my school is crazy and I've had weekly lnat sessions since september and now I'm at the end of yr 12. We've just been going through really similar questions for the past year and doing quite well, and now I just got a report with grade C for enthusiasm for subject, and Bs for stuff like ability to learn etc. all based on those lessons. I'm freaking out because I'm trying for Oxbridge and my teacher never mentioned anything in lessons. I've done mad amounts of reading and I bring articles and questions to every lesson, and I am so upset that apparently i'm not enthusiastic!! I'm afraid my reference will be bad now! I have a good academic and extra curricular profile, but now i think I'll need to totally ace the LNAT to redeem a dull reference. DO you have any advice?
Original post by Aquaxo
Hey guys - I have (almost) finished the UCAS cycle for 2016 entry (Law LLB), so if anybody has any questions I'd be more than happy to help. I have firmed Oxford, insured Lancaster, and I have also received offers from Durham, York and Nottingham if anybody has any uni-specific questions! :-)

YEs! Well done btw

So i'm trying for Oxford...could you give me the specifics of your interview?
What were your GCSEs
what are your A level subjects?
did you specify an area of interest within law in your PS
What were your extra curriculars?
What books do you recommend?
What work experience did you have?

And what college did you try for in Oxford and Durham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending