The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

It's a good place to be a student - very affordable, plenty going on and a great atmosphere. Just not a great place to grow up in - lots of council estates, social problems, and mediocre schools.

Message is, if you go there, have fun and get a good degree but then leave :smile:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
No middlesborough is the worst place to live in the UK
Its really not that bad.
Reply 4
The media plays on negative emotions, because it has shock factor and sympathy; don't believe everything, because it's not always as bad as it seems.

Nottingham is recorded as being dreadful for crime, but it's concentrated into 3 postcodes just SW of the city centre, nowhere near the university, and somewhere you'll probably never go.
Reply 5
I went up for the Hull open day last month, and had a few hours to kill afterwards so I took a look around the area. It seemed really friendly, and I was sad to leave afterwards! I can't wait to live there this September now.

I'd heard the same things, so I was a little worried before I went there myself, but after seeing it I'm totally reassured. Have you been there yourself?
Reply 6
OrmondDrone
It's a good place to be a student - very affordable, plenty going on and a great atmosphere. Just not a great place to grow up in - lots of council estates, social problems, and mediocre schools.

Message is, if you go there, have fun and get a good degree but then leave :smile:

this is about right. I think it is considered so bad because its economy was based on shipping and fishing both have pretty much declined. It also is home to some of the most deprived council estates. However i have been a student here for 3 years and i couldnt even point you in the direction of these estates.

It certainly is a misrepresentation as far as the student life is concerned.
Reply 7
Ok, thanks, that's reassuring!
Reply 8
hamijack
No middlesborough is the worst place to live in the UK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdBuDSEokz0

Don't listen to these stupid people. Funny how it will never be a southern town/area to come top of these surveys...
The University of Hull isn't even in Hull.
Stalin
The University of Hull isn't even in Hull.

Yes it is.
catoutofthebag
Yes it is.

As a student there, I can assure you, it's not.
cruciform
I think the person may be on about the Cottingham campus.
Are you talking about the Scarborough campus?

I'm talking about both.

Cottingham isn't in Hull, it's a town beside it and the University of Hull is inbetween both cities/towns.

The Scarborough campus is is Scarborough, miles away from Hull.
Stalin
As a student there, I can assure you, it's not.

I am also a student here, and yes it is. A majority of the accommodation may be in Cottingham but the campus itself is in Hull. It may not be in the city centre but that doesn't mean anything. It's still in Hull. I don't understand why you are saying it isn't.
catoutofthebag
I am also a student here, and yes it is. A majority of the accommodation may be in Cottingham but the campus itself is in Hull. It may not be in the city centre but that doesn't mean anything. It's still in Hull. I don't understand why you are saying it isn't.

I think you're lost dear.

The University of Hull is about 10 minutes away from Hull and 5 minutes away from Cottingham.
Stalin

The University of Hull is about 10 minutes away from Hull and 5 minutes away from Cottingham.

Don't patronise me. The university is clearly in the city of Hull and you only have to look at map to see that.
why does it actually matter where the campus lies? it don't see how this in the slightest is relevant to the discussion
catoutofthebag
Don't patronise me. The university is clearly in the city of Hull and you only have to look at map to see that.

Go ask the woman at the reception desk next time you see her.
Stalin

So what is the place called that Hull University is in?
Too Many Decisions
So what is the place called that Hull University is in?

I'd also like to know this, as it seems to be in some fictional place which exists between Hull and Cottingham.