The Student Room Group

Why is Japan so special?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Because they make mangas and animes XD
If they go down, the manga fans are disappointed :frown:
Reply 61
Wow, cynical much. The whole world actually begins to sympathise over their fellow human beings, and you're saying it's not good enough!
Reply 62
They made nintendo, duh.

This has been said before, hasn't it D:
Reply 63
Original post by Nayred
There have been so many recent disasters - Bangladesh Cyclones, Mexico Floods, Indonesian Mud Volcano, North Korea Floods, etc - that had far more casualties than Japan, yet the media keeps stressing as if this disaster is more important than any other. Prominent celebrities are even holding concerts to raise money for the victims. This is totally fine and the Japanese disaster is tragic but why is Japan so important?

Economy, lots of people, nuclear reactors (nucular. It's pronounced nucular) going sky high and releasing possibly radioactive steam into atmosphere. The terrible possiblity of a sequel to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
It was about 9 on the richter scale. Big earthquake. Lots of people dead.

Lots of reasons, and although they are developed, they need our help. Many of the other natural disasters mentioned happen in areas of relatively sparse population (relative, but with the exception of Bangladesh).

Need I say more?
Reply 64
Original post by flying plum
The floods in Pakistan are generally considered to be the worst natural disaster of our generation, but had no where near the coverage of the 2004 Tsunami.

Which year were the floods in pakistan generally the worst natural disaster of our generation? I thought 1100 people died?

In the 2004 Tsunami over 220,000 died, so surely that's about 200 times worse than what happened in Pakistan?:eek:
Original post by @YASMINSHiNKi
Japan offers so much to the world!
- Cars
-Computers
- Machines
- New Technologies
- MANGA's :u:
- Animes
- JROCK <3

... Need i say more ?

You missed out harsh POW camps and a racist society.
Reply 66
The same reason we don't hear about the tragic deaths in Africa everyday.
Original post by simstar
Which year were the floods in pakistan generally the worst natural disaster of our generation? I thought 1100 people died?

In the 2004 Tsunami over 220,000 died, so surely that's about 200 times worse than what happened in Pakistan?:eek:

The amount of people affected was horrendous- over 14 million. Further deaths were averted only due to the quick actions of the army while the ******** corrupt President was busy visiting his chateaus in France.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 68
Its amazing how materialistic and shallow some people are, its because they gave us this and that, well no not really.
Reply 69
Original post by Inzamam99
The amount if people affected was horrendous- over 14 million. Further deaths were averted only due to the quick actions of the army while the ******** corrupt President was busy visiting his chateaus in France.

My point still stands, it was 200 times worse in Bangladesh. I think 9/11 was worse than those floods, albeit not natural.
Reply 70
Original post by Nayred
There have been so many recent disasters - Bangladesh Cyclones, Mexico Floods, Indonesian Mud Volcano, North Korea Floods, etc - that had far more casualties than Japan, yet the media keeps stressing as if this disaster is more important than any other. Prominent celebrities are even holding concerts to raise money for the victims. This is totally fine and the Japanese disaster is tragic but why is Japan so important?

global warming
Original post by simstar
My point still stands, it was 200 times worse in Bangladesh. I think 9/11 was worse than those floods, albeit not natural.

No, it definitely wasn't- it is very wrong to judge a disaster completely by the number of deaths. Theoretically, if a Tsunami came now and wiped the United Kingdom off the map but caused no deaths as all British citizens had been evacuated to France (only hypothetical)- what would be worse? 9/11 or that?
The events happening in Japan are extremely sad and tragic but as much as I hate to say it fellas, if 1000 men die in Japan/Germany/France etc. then all hell breaks loose but if 1000 die in Gambia then well... it's a case of yet more black men in Africa. Ask yourself, if another Hitler came to power, would the West not intervene before he could enact his despotic policies and commit genocide again? And yet these would be the same people who encouraged the withdrawal of UN forces during the Rwandan genocide leaving millions to die who would have been saved by the very presence of those troops.
Reply 73
1. Read newspapers more. Other poor countries get mentioned.
2. This sort of event is rare to happen to a developed country. We are desensitised to catatrophe's in poorer countries.
3. Threat of nuclear meltdown means **** could get real really fast.
4. Countries giving in aid in an attempt to beg favours off japan in the future.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Swell
You done?

So you're not going to respond to the cogent and perceptive points made? Very telling.
Original post by aeterno
Why is your opinion so special? :holmes:

Where did the OP say that their opinion was special? This is a forum, where should these kind of questions be asked if not here?

Also, where is there any kind of opinion in the original post? The OP noticed that Japan is getting more coverage than many other more devastating natural disasters did - where's the opinion in that perception?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 76
All those countries deserved sympathy and most of them got it - along with generous private and government donations to their cause.

The Japanese earthquake and subsequent tsunami was an enormous natural catastrophe.

We also have to admit that Japan will deal with the crisis far more effectively than a corrupt country like Haiti.
Reply 77
Original post by Nayred

Well its not just the death toll but the sheer destruction that the tsunami caused. Due to good infrastructure, lots of people owning cars and some prior warning many thousands of people that were threatened were able to evacuate. Though the death toll might be quite low in comparision to other disasters the devasation that it caused is massive, espically considering that the majority of the japanese population live on coastal areas.

Though I oppose the idea thatyou claim the media is making it seem more important than any other. i think alot of the reason why it's in the next alot is because one of their nuclear power plant keeps exploding and every media outlet wants to be the first to report on the next Chernobyl...
Reply 78
Original post by simstar

Final death toll was 283 000.

I think any situation where many peoples lives are affected by some sort of occurrence is a cause for serious concern
Reply 79
Original post by Inzamam99
No, it definitely wasn't- it is very wrong to judge a disaster completely by the number of deaths. Theoretically, if a Tsunami came now and wiped the United Kingdom off the map but caused no deaths as all British citizens had been evacuated to France (only hypothetical)- what would be worse? 9/11 or that?

9/11

lives cannot be built again. The UK can. I don't feel too bad for those in Pakistan if they believe they would rather be dead than have a house.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending