The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ATCAdam
Yeah I want an open face helemt, I've only got a 125 :smile:

i came off my 125 from about 30, and scraped my chin (of my helmet).
the helmet came away with a nice little scratch down the front, but if i were wearing that helmet above, if have had a skin graft.
Original post by MHorman
And also, guys, like 40 posts of nothing whilst i was away? Really?

Something about a band...

And swear filter avoidance is bad and you know who you are... :fuhrer:

Really, really. Where were you?! Should be sorting us out like a boss! Unless you were with yer missus and she was too much of a distraction.

R-KAM's fault. Kick him off.

Not my fault it doesn't recognise "piss" as one.
Reply 182
Original post by Juno
On the way to the bike place there's a mini roundabout just as you turn in (this might work) - I was coming along the main road to turn right into that side road when I see there's a man lying in the middle of the road! I'm a first aider, so I stopped my car at the side of the side road - I stopped about where the drain cover is - and another woman stopped just in front of me. Anyway, the man isn't seriously hurt but had caught his wheely zimmer frame thing on the edge of the central reservation and fallen. He bashed his nose and was a bit shaken up.

So instead of being 15 mins early as planned I ended up being a tiny bit late.

but at least for a good cause, i'm glad it wasn't anything wrong with you

Original post by ATCAdam
Thanks for all the replies! Yeah good point didn't factor in stones and bugs @60, my winter helmet makes me break out where it rubs on my face though so I was hoping an open face wouldn't aggravate it, or even a large helmet maybe?

Wash your helmet with baby shampoo regularly. getting a large helmet means it#ll just fly off when you crash and be of less use that a brain bucket!
Reply 183
Original post by Bathwiggle

but at least for a good cause, i'm glad it wasn't anything wrong with you

I really hated my lesson though. There was so much to learn, and everything kept going wrong and my instructor kept shouting at me. I wanted to give up halfway though but didn't, but I really didn't enjoy it.
Reply 184
Original post by Juno
I really hated my lesson though. There was so much to learn, and everything kept going wrong and my instructor kept shouting at me. I wanted to give up halfway though but didn't, but I really didn't enjoy it.
he's probably not right for you if he keeps shouting at you. with me it just makes me bloody minded and i passed out of spite, but i learn from being talked to.

What were you struggling with?
Original post by Juno

Did you enjoy learning to drive?
Reply 186
he's probably not right for you if he keeps shouting at you. with me it just makes me bloody minded and i passed out of spite, but i learn from being talked to.

What were you struggling with?

Everything. Seriously, I just got the feeling that I can't do anything right.
Original post by Chilledice
Did you enjoy learning to drive?

No, but at the same time I didn't hate it quite as much as this. I didn't spend half my care lessons feeling like I was gonna burst into tears.
Original post by LandyJon
Really, really. Where were you?! Should be sorting us out like a boss! Unless you were with yer missus and she was too much of a distraction.

Not my fault it doesn't recognise "piss" as one.

Exam then seeing the missus...

Nah, it wasn't you. Piss isn't a swear word...

Also, Juno, if you've already got a car on the road surely once you've learnt the basica machine control of a bike it's easy as it's the same as driving a car in terms of following the rules of the road etc...
Reply 188
Went to pick up the bike today in the TR7.

Rode from stapleford to ilkeston and stopped off to say "hi" to Nic's grandma and then we headed for home. Started chugging a bit at junctions in heanor, cut out at a junction coming into codnor and then at the main junction in codnor it cut out again and wouldn't restart. Brand new battery dead. Hmm.

Called the bike shop up and they came, loaded it into a transit, appologised and said it'd be sorted for monday. We completed the remainder of the journey home in the TR7.

"Buy one of the big four - chinese bikes are crap" everybody said... saw no end of chinkys run by - all fully functional. :rolleyes:

Managed about 12 miles on the bike so far. Yeah, it could have happened on any vehicle but it's not exactly the greatest start to biking. :s-smilie:

Bikes are crap. :mad:
Original post by Juno

He sounds like a massive dick. For some people, riding a bike comes naturally. For others, it takes a bit longer. Don't worry about it J-bird (see what I did there). You need to be completely relaxed and positive. Go in there with a fresh mind and belief and you'll come out with it tenfold. If it doesn't work out the first time, pop it into neutral or turn the engine off if you're on a scooter, take a breather before starting again. There's no rush nor is there any harm in walking before you run.

Original post by JC.

Rode from stapleford to ilkeston and stopped off to say "hi" to Nic's grandma and then we headed for home. Started chugging a bit at junctions in heanor, cut out at a junction coming into codnor and then at the main junction in codnor it cut out again and wouldn't restart. Brand new battery dead. Hmm.

Called the bike shop up and they came, loaded it into a transit, appologised and said it'd be sorted for monday. We completed the remainder of the journey home in the TR7.

"Buy one of the big four - chinese bikes are crap" everybody said... saw no end of chinkys run by - all fully functional. :rolleyes:

Managed about 12 miles on the bike so far. Yeah, it could have happened on any vehicle but it's not exactly the greatest start to biking. :s-smilie:

Sorry to hear that JC. The regulator rectifier went on the blink a week after I picked the SV up so I know how you're feeling. Hopefully the shop will sort it out free of charge to you.

If you saw a Chinese bike actually running then it's a lucky day for them :lol:

Chin up boss, it'll be fine and good fun next week :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 190

Original post by JC.

You were scarily near me
Reply 191
Original post by Juno
You were scarily near me

If you came through the junction @ codnor any time between about 5pm and 6pm today... the poor git sat on the wall outside cattermole staring at the imobile black intruder would have been me! :frown:

I only live in Shirland nr Alfreton. I was nearly back!!! :frown:
Reply 192

Original post by JC.
If you came through the junction @ codnor any time between about 5pm and 6pm today... the poor git sat on the wall outside cattermole staring at the imobile black intruder would have been me! :frown:

I only live in Shirland nr Alfreton. I was nearly back!!! :frown:

Well, you were in the same county as me. I was West Bridgford/Ruddington/East Leake way really. At that time I was probably in Asda.
Reply 193
Original post by MHorman
Exam then seeing the missus...

Nah, it wasn't you. Piss isn't a swear word...

Also, Juno, if you've already got a car on the road surely once you've learnt the basica machine control of a bike it's easy as it's the same as driving a car in terms of following the rules of the road etc...

was it me? :confused:
Reply 194

He sounds like a massive dick. For some people, riding a bike comes naturally. For others, it takes a bit longer. Don't worry about it J-bird (see what I did there). You need to be completely relaxed and positive. Go in there with a fresh mind and belief and you'll come out with it tenfold. If it doesn't work out the first time, pop it into neutral or turn the engine off if you're on a scooter, take a breather before starting again. There's no rush nor is there any harm in walking before you run.

He was a different instructor to last time. He said he was better than the last guy I had though :rolleyes:

He never actually told me how to get it into neutral, and he also said things in ways I didn't understand. Like he kept telling me off for "dumping the clutch" but didn't explain it better.

I can't do it and I should just give up now.
Original post by Juno
He was a different instructor to last time. He said he was better than the last guy I had though :rolleyes:

He never actually told me how to get it into neutral, and he also said things in ways I didn't understand. Like he kept telling me off for "dumping the clutch" but didn't explain it better.

I can't do it and I should just give up now.

You bloody well can! You're enthusuastic enough! After all your talk about Ninjas and FJRs, we aren't going to let you quit!

It might be worth telling him that you've no experience at all with motorbikes and that phrases like "dumping the clutch" aren't useful. If you don't know what he's talking about, then tell him. If he doesn't know that you're having difficulty, he's going to carry on the way he usually does.

Incidentally, if one does dump, they let go of the clutch too quickly.
Reply 196

You bloody well can! You're enthusuastic enough! After all your talk about Ninjas and FJRs, we aren't going to let you quit!

It might be worth telling him that you've no experience at all with motorbikes and that phrases like "dumping the clutch" aren't useful. If you don't know what he's talking about, then tell him. If he doesn't know that you're having difficulty, he's going to carry on the way he usually does.

Incidentally, if one does dump, they let go of the clutch too quickly.

He knew I had no experience and had done my CBT on an automatic "twist and go" moped and today was my first time with gears. And that's the way the company does things, so he should have loads of experience.
Reply 197

Sorry to hear that JC. The regulator rectifier went on the blink a week after I picked the SV up so I know how you're feeling. Hopefully the shop will sort it out free of charge to you.

If you saw a Chinese bike actually running then it's a lucky day for them :lol:

Chin up boss, it'll be fine and good fun next week :biggrin:

Saw **** loads of chinkys all working perfectly fine!
Bike has got a 3 month warranty on it so I'll not be paying for anything. Just irritated that i'll have to go to stapleford again and pick the thing up. It's not a nice journey in a car, let alone on an unfamiliar vehicle.

Is it normal to get pins and needles in your throttle hand? I had to pull over to give my hand a rest!
Original post by JC.
Is it normal to get pins and needles in your throttle hand? I had to pull over to give my hand a rest!

It can be but it can also be from the vibration from the road. My Fazer was terrible at sustained travel; take a 250 mile trip up to Kent for example. Big bar ends usually sort that kind of thing out. It might be though that you're gripping too tightly. Your arms, wrists and hands should all be lose and relaxed because any tension will affect your riding.
Reply 199
Original post by MHorman
Something about a band... And swear filter avoidance is bad and you know who you are... :fuhrer:

You shouldn't be discussing warnings? :gah:

I'd call it more slang usage than purposely avoiding swear filters though, sorry. Not been warned in the footie forum for it though :colonhash:

Shall avoid next time big man :top:

Aren't you sweet :h:

Latest