The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juno
He knew I had no experience and had done my CBT on an automatic "twist and go" moped and today was my first time with gears. And that's the way the company does things, so he should have loads of experience.

If he's aware of your inexperience and he still insists on shouting at you, then that's poor work on his account. It's nothing to do with you.

Like I say love, if you quit now, you'll never know that you'll love riding a bike. Go back, try again and for goodness sake, if you're not happy with the way you're being taught, say something! You're paying good, hard earned money to be taught by a reputable company.

Original post by R-KAM
Aren't you sweet :h:

Too sweet sometimes tbh mate.
Original post by Juno
He knew I had no experience and had done my CBT on an automatic "twist and go" moped and today was my first time with gears. And that's the way the company does things, so he should have loads of experience.

You probably wont believe me, but when I did my CBT I was so bad with clutch control that my instructor actually sent me outside to do laps around the car park just to get used to gears.. Yeh, I was the only one.

Stick at it, it'll click and you'll be glad :smile:

Original post by JC.
Is it normal to get pins and needles in your throttle hand? I had to pull over to give my hand a rest!

I got left forearm ache for pretty much the first 2000 miles of my riding, I just wasn't used to pulling a clutch in and out all day so got achey. Tight gloves can cause that as well, but generally you wont be vibrated to tingling by a 125.. You're probably just tiring your hands out and in gloves you haven't broken in yet :smile:

just wait 'til your left hand starts hurting when you need to make a gear change.. It's why we invented clutchless shifting! :biggrin:

Side note: Bike is still at the mechanic, going to work on the ninja tomorrow :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 202
I'm leaving you all for the weekend now :wavey:
Original post by Juno

:shakehand::nodots:

See you soon!
Reply 204
Original post by Chilledice
You probably wont believe me, but when I did my CBT I was so bad with clutch control that my instructor actually sent me outside to do laps around the car park just to get used to gears.. Yeh, I was the only one.

Stick at it, it'll click and you'll be glad :smile:

Yay, someone else was hopeless too!

I got left forearm ache for pretty much the first 2000 miles of my riding, I just wasn't used to pulling a clutch in and out all day so got achey. Tight gloves can cause that as well, but generally you wont be vibrated to tingling by a 125.. You're probably just tiring your hands out and in gloves you haven't broken in yet :smile:

just wait 'til your left hand starts hurting when you need to make a gear change.. It's why we invented clutchless shifting! :biggrin:

I have arthritis in my throttle hand :smile:

Side note: Bike is still at the mechanic, going to work on the ninja tomorrow :frown:

Why does going to work on a Ninja make you sad?!
Although when my instructor asked what bike I want, I said a Ninja and he laughed :sad:
:shakehand::nodots:

See you soon!

I'm going on a trek around the country. Manchester tomorrow, London the day after, then Bristol on Monday.
Reply 205
Original post by Juno

have a good weekend, i'll post the following for when you get back

Original post by Juno
He was a different instructor to last time. He said he was better than the last guy I had though :rolleyes:

He never actually told me how to get it into neutral, and he also said things in ways I didn't understand. Like he kept telling me off for "dumping the clutch" but didn't explain it better.

I can't do it and I should just give up now.

There once was a girl who failed her CBT test as she couldn't get hte hang of gears in the car park, following speaking to the instructor she went home at lunch, came back the following day and rather being with the lovely bloke john, who'd been supportive and talking her through what she was doing wrong, she got polly. Polly shouted, screamed, swore, belittled every mistake, reduced her to tears and then sent her out with nicos to complete her cbt. she couldn't u turn, but polly made him pass her anyway.

The following day she went back out with john. John still wasn't happy with her being cbt level, so got her to sit on the bike turned on and tap through the gears to work out where neutral was, where first was, second, explained 1st to move off or when stopped, second when doing up to 25, 3rd up to 35, 4th up to 45. To gently use the rear brake to slow down and front if stopping. not to grab the front brake, but to ease it on. she spent the remaining day driving in right turns. 4 hours of them, not getting past 20mph, but lots of pulling off, slowing down, stopping. gradually she stopped stalling, started not being afraid of the throttle, and not skidding.

4th day, out on the road with john, got over 40, could use the clutch and the brake, worked out that life savers should be for any change in lane, change in direction, mirrors constantly. by the end she was told she should pass her test tomorrow.

Friday. polly again. tears by 8.35, unable to u turn, unable to pull away, wobbling all over the lane, got to the test center, and walked in to be told by polly, you are a stupid ****er, you'll fail but at least its good practice. The examiner spoke to her, noticed she was upset, told her to stop, breath, remember she knew how to use the road, and she was only being shouted at as the instructor couldn't teach and needed to learn how to deal with people.

8 minors late i passed. walked out, the examiner told polly i'd passed, she called me a 'lying c***' he showed her the piece of paper, and told her again i'd passed. rode home having told polly i wouldnt be using the headset. went through my minors, she told me i'd only 'just' passed. Mummy came and collected me and i never went back.

polly was scared of bikes, was convinced she was right in decided i was dangerous, and told me i'd crash within a month of passing. It took me 2 years to crash, she no longer has her riding school.
Original post by JC.

Is it normal to get pins and needles in your throttle hand? I had to pull over to give my hand a rest!

Sit in the bike rest hands on the handle bars, relax your arms. you aren't holding on to the bike with your arms, use your legs for that. i use the heel of my hand to turn the throttle and thumb to hold it in place, rather than gripping hte throttle.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/RidingEvents/ridingeventsresults/Riding-skills/2009/March/jun29-05-riding-position/ might help, thicker grips might also help.
Going to book my theory test soon. Wahoo.
Did a few practice tests online and was getting 44/45/46 marks so looks like I'm good to go.
Haven't read the highway code for over two years but just like it was back then, the majority is common sense.
Reply 207
Tomorrow i'm going to have to go play on the bike, might start at fitchingfield and see how north i end up from colchester, its been too long since i've had a decent ride.
Original post by Juno
Yay, someone else was hopeless too!

i failed my CBT first try due to gears, and not being able to use them on the road.
i had even had practice they day before with my brother in a car park.

I'm going on a trek around the country. Manchester tomorrow, London the day after, then Bristol on Monday.

:woo: my end of the woods!
Original post by Bathwiggle
have a good weekend, i'll post the following for when you get back

There once was a girl who failed her CBT test as she couldn't get hte hang of gears in the car park, following speaking to the instructor she went home at lunch, came back the following day and rather being with the lovely bloke john, who'd been supportive and talking her through what she was doing wrong, she got polly. Polly shouted, screamed, swore, belittled every mistake, reduced her to tears and then sent her out with nicos to complete her cbt. she couldn't u turn, but polly made him pass her anyway.

The following day she went back out with john. John still wasn't happy with her being cbt level, so got her to sit on the bike turned on and tap through the gears to work out where neutral was, where first was, second, explained 1st to move off or when stopped, second when doing up to 25, 3rd up to 35, 4th up to 45. To gently use the rear brake to slow down and front if stopping. not to grab the front brake, but to ease it on. she spent the remaining day driving in right turns. 4 hours of them, not getting past 20mph, but lots of pulling off, slowing down, stopping. gradually she stopped stalling, started not being afraid of the throttle, and not skidding.

4th day, out on the road with john, got over 40, could use the clutch and the brake, worked out that life savers should be for any change in lane, change in direction, mirrors constantly. by the end she was told she should pass her test tomorrow.

Friday. polly again. tears by 8.35, unable to u turn, unable to pull away, wobbling all over the lane, got to the test center, and walked in to be told by polly, you are a stupid ****er, you'll fail but at least its good practice. The examiner spoke to her, noticed she was upset, told her to stop, breath, remember she knew how to use the road, and she was only being shouted at as the instructor couldn't teach and needed to learn how to deal with people.

8 minors late i passed. walked out, the examiner told polly i'd passed, she called me a 'lying c***' he showed her the piece of paper, and told her again i'd passed. rode home having told polly i wouldnt be using the headset. went through my minors, she told me i'd only 'just' passed. Mummy came and collected me and i never went back.

polly was scared of bikes, was convinced she was right in decided i was dangerous, and told me i'd crash within a month of passing. It took me 2 years to crash, she no longer has her riding school.

Sit in the bike rest hands on the handle bars, relax your arms. you aren't holding on to the bike with your arms, use your legs for that. i use the heel of my hand to turn the throttle and thumb to hold it in place, rather than gripping hte throttle.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/RidingEvents/ridingeventsresults/Riding-skills/2009/March/jun29-05-riding-position/ might help, thicker grips might also help.

That story is beautiful. I had to read it twice to realise you were talking about yourself. Be a motorbike instructor please, wiggles :smile:
Reply 210
That story is beautiful. I had to read it twice to realise you were talking about yourself. Be a motorbike instructor please, wiggles :smile:

And you've seen me ride?????

it was something i wanted to do, i wasn't going to give up as i had always wanted to bike, but now i joke i only passed to spite polly.

But that is why when i say 'if i can, you can' i meant it :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
And you've seen me ride?????

it was something i wanted to do, i wasn't going to give up as i had always wanted to bike, but now i joke i only passed to spite polly.

But that is why when i say 'if i can, you can' i meant it :biggrin:

I've seen you ride fine! You stay on two wheels!
Reply 212
I've seen you ride fine! You stay on two wheels!

But you also need to be reasonably calm, patient, able to pick up the bike when they drop it...

and its not sensible to work doing something you love, as you will get fed up with it.

I had fish and chips at great yarmouth today :biggrin:
But you also need to be reasonably calm, patient, able to pick up the bike when they drop it...

and its not sensible to work doing something you love, as you will get fed up with it.

I had fish and chips at great yarmouth today :biggrin:

See, I'd love to be an instructor. I'm definitely looking into it when I turn 21 :biggrin:

Nice ride today? I was on my way out into Plymouth when it started piddling down so I turned round and came home again :frown:
Original post by LandyJon
See, I'd love to be an instructor. I'm definitely looking into it when I turn 21 :biggrin:

My dad used to be an instructor and an advanced instructor at some point as well.

Basically you wanna start by doing a load of advanced riding training(Info in the OP:wink:) and getting up to the best you can before you try teaching others...

Dads only claim to fame during his time was teaching Mike Hailwoods son how to ride a bike...
Original post by MHorman
My dad used to be an instructor and an advanced instructor at some point as well.

Basically you wanna start by doing a load of advanced riding training(Info in the OP:wink:) and getting up to the best you can before you try teaching others...

Dads only claim to fame during his time was teaching Mike Hailwoods son how to ride a bike...

You and your name dropping.. :colone:
Original post by MHorman

I think I need to start saving first. God knows how much it's going to cost but if it's anything like the money my Mum paid to do her instructor training, then it's going to be over £1500 :frown:

You and your name dropping.. :colone:

Ridiculous innit. Always popping one in when he can.
I think I need to start saving first. God knows how much it's going to cost but if it's anything like the money my Mum paid to do her instructor training, then it's going to be over £1500 :frown:

Ridiculous innit. Always popping one in when he can.

Yea but then you can earn money riding a motorbike afterwards and that will be cool and you'll be a LOT better rider as well...

I'm not as bad as i easily could be considering the motorbike people i've met etc. It's just you've read thousands of my posts so they accumulate when i very occasionally post them...

I expect it'd be ridiculously expensive to have your own training school, especially if the new laws come in where there'd be the four stages of bikes. You'd need 125ccs, 33bhp bikes, 47bhp bikes and >55bhp. Quite a fleet to have to deal with!

You'd have to hire wiggles to help look after them and to teach the young girlies :p:
Reply 219

Nice ride today? I was on my way out into Plymouth when it started piddling down so I turned round and came home again :frown:

was really good, 200 miles, got a little cold at the end, but i had fun. lovely 4x4 warned me of the first speed trap, and a bike and lorry warned me of the second.

I expect it'd be ridiculously expensive to have your own training school, especially if the new laws come in where there'd be the four stages of bikes. You'd need 125ccs, 33bhp bikes, 47bhp bikes and >55bhp. Quite a fleet to have to deal with!

You'd have to hire wiggles to help look after them and to teach the young girlies :p:

knowing me like i do... i'd probably be worse teaching girls, you end up expecting more of them, as they need to be better than the boys to be considered equal..

Latest