Scroll to see replies

Original post by chats4england
UCAS form sent, and HYMS is on the list! :biggrin:

Excellent choice :tongue:
Reply 81
GCSE:10A*s
AS:AABB
A2 precitions: AAA
A2: A* (general studies did it one yr early)
UKCAT:640
(decent p.s)
is it worth applying?? Im leaning towards no because of my ukcat id only get 5/10.
Reply 82
Original post by razzler
GCSE:10A*s
AS:AABB
A2 precitions: AAA
A2: A* (general studies did it one yr early)
UKCAT:640
(decent p.s)
is it worth applying?? Im leaning towards no because of my ukcat id only get 5/10.

My friend got an interview (No offer unfortuantely) with 610 UKCAT (not sure what that equates to) Predictions of AAA/AAB and only 2A*6A2B at GCSE so I wouldn't worry to much as long as your personal statement is reasonably good :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by Yellowmonkeyman
Excellent choice :tongue:

Hello! Random but can you please tell me everything you know about lancaster - the kinds of academics they want, ukcat, work experience, personal statement and how their interviews are like? I would much appreciate it and well dont on going to Hull, the place is gorgeous
Reply 84
UCAS application sent of today ahhhhhh :eek:
Reply 85
hey am applying as a gradaute with a 2.1 in anatomy, ukcat 662.5, loads of clinical experience n pretty good PS n now at the last minute thinking of applying to HYMS but dont no a lot about the place. So does anyone think i would have a chance at getting in and what the uni is like and whats the difference between hull and york medical schools? thanks :s-smilie:
Original post by SylveeDiggs
Hello! Random but can you please tell me everything you know about lancaster - the kinds of academics they want, ukcat, work experience, personal statement and how their interviews are like? I would much appreciate it and well dont on going to Hull, the place is gorgeous

Sorry about the late reply, I've been quite busy lately :wink:.

Academics wise Lancaster aren't looking for amazing grades. I had 1A*9A1B at GCSE when I applied.

Work experience is all about commitment. If you do something continuously for a long time (e.g a year) then any University will look more favourably upon your application. If it is not possible for you to do long term experience then make sure you get a few different things and are able to talk at length about what you learned from the experiences.

Personal statement advice is the same for most Universities, reflect, reflect, reflect! Universities are not looking for a list of attributes that you have randomly assigned to yourself, they are looking for an analysis of your work experience plainly detailing what it has taught you and how you can relate what you have learnt to the medical course and being a doctor.

Interviews at Lancaster are of the multiple mini interview form. That means there are various stations in a room with different interviews/tasks at each one (I think there are about 12). I can't detail what I had in my interview but that's a basic overview.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask but beware that I am busy and you can find 99% of the information I give on other websites.

Last of all, GOOD LUCK :smile:.
Original post by George89
hey am applying as a gradaute with a 2.1 in anatomy, ukcat 662.5, loads of clinical experience n pretty good PS n now at the last minute thinking of applying to HYMS but dont no a lot about the place. So does anyone think i would have a chance at getting in and what the uni is like and whats the difference between hull and york medical schools? thanks :s-smilie:

If you really do have a good personal statement then you do have a chance of getting an interview with those stats.

Hull York Medical School is excellent, it's a relatively small school spread across Hull and York University. Half of the year are allocated randomly to Hull and half to York. The only difference between the campuses is that everything is cheaper in Hull, the nightlife is better but York have a large Medical School whereas Hull has a small building.

The course is great, it's integrated so the PBL forms the backbone of every weeks learning and there are plenaries, biopracticals and other resources to teach and reinforce knowledge needed in PBL.

Hope that helps!
Reply 88
Sorry about
Thanks for that, really helped. And I just have one more question about HYMS, like how their interviews are like and how much weighting is given to personal statement?

Thanks again.
Interviews for 2012 entry will take place on the following days:
Wednesday 7th December 2011;
Thursday 15th December 2011;
Friday 16th December 2011;
Wednesday 4th January 2012;
Saturday 14th January 2012;
Sunday 28th January 2012.
Reply 90
Original post by chats4england
Interviews for 2012 entry will take place on the following days:
Wednesday 7th December 2011;
Thursday 15th December 2011;
Friday 16th December 2011;
Wednesday 4th January 2012;
Saturday 14th January 2012;
Sunday 28th January 2012.

how do you know this haha?
Check out the sideways normal distribution on the poll results!
I applied to HYMS last year and buggered up my interview. :colondollar:

I had a 640 av UKCAT and managed an interview so don't feel too bad if you haven't got an ace score. I got 640 again this year too! (damn AR :mad:)

Hopefully I get another interview this year as I liked the Hull Campus. :smile:
Original post by I<3LAMP

I had a 640 av UKCAT and managed an interview so don't feel too bad if you haven't got an ace score. I got 640 again this year too! (damn AR :mad:)

Hey, when was your interview last year? :smile:
Hey, when was your interview last year? :smile:

Oh wow....can't remember the exact date but it was early Dec-like the 8th or something.

It was a rather different interview to others I've ballsed up. :ahee:

EDIT: I'm a big fat liar- emails confirm it was the 15th Dec and received the email on the 30th Nov....Hopefully after I come back from Berlin I can expect a lovely interview invitation! :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by I<3LAMP
Oh wow....can't remember the exact date but it was early Dec-like the 8th or something.

It was a rather different interview to others I've ballsed up. :ahee:

EDIT: I'm a big fat liar- emails confirm it was the 15th Dec and received the email on the 30th Nov....Hopefully after I come back from Berlin I can expect a lovely interview invitation! :colondollar:

Aww, thought I may have found someone in my interview group.. Sadly not as my interview was on the 16th :smile:.

I'm sure you'll get an interview! Keep me updated, I remember you from last year :biggrin:.
Aww, thought I may have found someone in my interview group.. Sadly not as my interview was on the 16th :smile:.

I'm sure you'll get an interview! Keep me updated, I remember you from last year :biggrin:.

It's nice to be remembered. :smile:

I'll keep you updated for sure, hopefully you can give me an insight to life as a medical student at Hull-York. :wink: I fell in love with it all when I went for interview-annoying as the tour was after the interview and I knew I screwed it up.
Reply 98
Original post by I<3LAMP

Heey - how exactly did you screw up in the interview? what was it like, got any tips?
Original post by Erotas
Heey - how exactly did you screw up in the interview? what was it like, got any tips?

I get real nervous, get a lump in my throat and can't make any meaningful words leave my mouth.

I also have a stutter. :colondollar:

As for advice, Hull-York is different to other Unis where they ask you bog-standard 'Why medicine'? 'Tell me about something interesting in the news recently' etc.

The questions were random (in my eyes) though they served a purpose to make you think outside the box, under pressure and how to gather info from a random article you read before you walk in the room.

If I remember correctly there is a few sample questions on the website, well there were last year. I can't remember what they were.

Quick Reply

Latest