The Student Room Group

Middle Easterners...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scherezade
awwwwwwwwwww, good luck!!!!! i bet its going to be amazing,
not yet for me, soon though! :biggrin:, what you studying? oooh and are you in a city or town, and moving out or staying? i really don't want to end up going to a uni far away from family :s-smilie:

its going to be weird being the youngest rather than the oldest, make use of it and get as much help as you can :P

thaaankkksss :biggrin: im guessing ur doing a levels?

i am staying home cos im too much of a wimp to move out hehehe. but im in london and uni is a train ride away so it should be okay :smile:

im studying maths at qm! *maths nerd*

im the youngest too :biggrin: my parents are getting so emotional that their youngest is starting uni looool! (i think they finally know that theyre old looool!!)
Gonna study in Egypt starting next week. The director of the programme is so far difficult to deal with. Hope Egyptians aren't generally like that...
Reply 1162
No Egyptians are nice people :smile:
Original post by ZizziHikaru
Gonna study in Egypt starting next week. The director of the programme is so far difficult to deal with. Hope Egyptians aren't generally like that...

Good Luck getting harassed by Egyptian men :wink:

What are you studying if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by TariHana
Good Luck getting harassed by Egyptian men :wink:

What are you studying if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Arabic! And no, I'll be fine. I'm not white and not attractive :cool:

Original post by ibs137
No Egyptians are nice people :smile:

I hope so, every country has its shrews.
hihiihihhhiii, how comes this group isn't listed under societies?

Arabic! And no, I'll be fine. I'm not white and not attractive :cool:

Good Luck either wayy (y)
anyone here studying in UK next year? :smile:
Reply 1167
Original post by Superwoman
anyone here studying in UK next year? :smile:

Yep yepp
But already living in London :smile:
Original post by egypt305
Yep yepp
But already living in London :smile:

im egyptian too, and hopefully studying in UK next year :smile:
where did you apply?
Original post by tahir26

Original post by tahir26
Hy!! I AM AN INDIAN.. ANY ARABS IN LONDON FOR FRIENDSHIP N FUN!!!

Well hey there sexy. Nice moves :sexface:
im Arab , but i'm from Libya in north Africa - as u can guess from my user name :wink:
So I'm British, and taught myself Arabic (with a bit of help from Arab friends). Anyway point is, I'm okay at speaking, but would like to learn pronunciation and become fluent. Where do you recommend I go? I was looking at Saudi (I don't mind the conservative lifestyle - never been one to party, and am teetotal (smell of Alcohol makes me feel sick)).

Syria's out of the question I guess, as is Iraq.

As for the accents, I prefer the Saudi accent the most - I find the everything else a bit 'soft' if it makes sense. Worst has to be Egyptian - A'ullak yaa 'amm lool. I hate the way the letters change from a dh to a z and from q to ' lol. The q to g is quite widely accepted I think (I've heard it all over the Gulf).

How long would you reckon I need as well?

Finance is not too much of an issue.

edit: i'm so sorry for being british and not ME. Please neg me more.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Please Register
So I'm British, and taught myself Arabic (with a bit of help from Arab friends). Anyway point is, I'm okay at speaking, but would like to learn pronunciation and become fluent.

Well done mate, Arabic isn't easy. :smile:

Where do you recommend I go? I was looking at Saudi (I don't mind the conservative lifestyle - never been one to party, and am teetotal (smell of Alcohol makes me feel sick)).

Kuwait is the country I most want to go to work on my Arabic. It's a bit more open-minded than KSA or other Gulf countries. It has more press freedom (which is important to me because I want to pursue an internship as a journalist or something like that), it's obviously very wealthy, and it has an Arabic dialect that's universally understood in the Gulf. However, my favorite aspect of Kuwait is that it has held on to its original Bedouin culture. The Bedouins are the true survivors and traditionalists of the Arab world, widely regarded as people of great honor.

I met a newly-married Kuwaiti couple here in the States and when I told them I studied Arabic and was not Arab myself, they invited me back to their ritzy house for Arabic coffee. Very open people, magnificent country. Go if you can. Perfect blend of traditional and modern.

Syria's out of the question I guess, as is Iraq.

Prior to the present conflict in Syria, many Arabic students studied in Damascus. Obviously I understand your point about it being out of the question now, but don't give up on it (or its people) completely. Same with Iraq.

As for the accents, I prefer the Saudi accent the most - I find the everything else a bit 'soft' if it makes sense. Worst has to be Egyptian - A'ullak yaa 'amm lool. I hate the way the letters change from a dh to a z and from q to ' lol. The q to g is quite widely accepted I think (I've heard it all over the Gulf).

I also don't like the Egyptian accent as well. Neither the sound, nor the way it's written in Arabic (surprisingly often). Egyptians often expect other Arabs and Westerners who learn Arabic to be able to understand their Arabic because of how it pervades Arabic media and entertainment. And you thought we Yanks were bad! Kuwaiti Arabic is virtually indistinguishable from the dialect in eastern cities of KSA like Dammam and Khobar. All good places to live and study, relative to other Arab cities in the region.

How long would you reckon I need as well?

In all honesty, a year. A few weeks or a month vacation won't get you anywhere near fluency in something as dynamic and unregulated as an Arabic dialect.

Finance is not too much of an issue.

Oh, how I envy you. :daydreaming:

EDIT: I repped you to offset the random neg.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by I Kant Spall

Original post by I Kant Spall
Well done mate, Arabic isn't easy. :smile:

Ha cheers! I think this is the first time I've heard an American say mate!

Kuwait is the country I most want to go to work on my Arabic. It's a bit more open-minded than KSA or other Gulf countries. It has more press freedom (which is important to me because I want to pursue an internship as a journalist or something like that), it's obviously very wealthy, and it has an Arabic dialect that's universally understood in the Gulf. However, my favorite aspect of Kuwait is that it has held on to its original Bedouin culture. The Bedouins are the true survivors and traditionalists of the Arab world, widely regarded as people of great honor.

Oh really? I didn't know there were still bedouins in Kuwait. I knew that there is a significant minority in KSA, and heard even the people in cities still act like bedouins. They sit on the streets and drink coffee and carry sheep/goats round everywhere in their pick up trucks.

Also, a friend of mine told me the Kuwaitis frequently use 'y' in place of 'j'. So when they say rajul, they actually say 'rayul', and when my friend was demonstrating, I got kind of lost. I guess it's just practice/ kathratus samaa'.

I met a newly-married Kuwaiti couple here in the States and when I told them I studied Arabic and was not Arab myself, they invited me back to their ritzy house for Arabic coffee. Very open people, magnificent country. Go if you can. Perfect blend of traditional and modern.

That's really nice of them. I know it's supposed to be an Arab trait, this hospitality lark, and they haven't lost it, even abroad! Only thing is it's kind of humid, and I hate the stickyness when you walk outside.

Prior to the present conflict in Syria, many Arabic students studied in Damascus. Obviously I understand your point about it being out of the question now, but don't give up on it (or its people) completely. Same with Iraq.

I also don't like the Egyptian accent as well. Neither the sound, nor the way it's written in Arabic (surprisingly often). Egyptians often expect other Arabs and Westerners who learn Arabic to be able to understand their Arabic because of how it pervades Arabic media and entertainment. And you thought we Yanks were bad! Kuwaiti Arabic is virtually indistinguishable from the dialect in eastern cities of KSA like Dammam and Khobar. All good places to live and study, relative to other Arab cities in the region.

Ha yeah, one of my friends is Egyptian, and when he speaks to be honest I can only pick up a few words here and there. The lahjah itself is different, but also the laknah. The actual way they pronounce letters - especially Taa (the one after Dhaad), it doesn't sound as full, and I confuse it with taa. Not to mention their slang, like 3aysh would be khobz!

In all honesty, a year. A few weeks or a month vacation won't get you anywhere near fluency in something as dynamic and unregulated as an Arabic dialect.

A year...wow, that's pretty long! I was thinking maybe or a month or two. Oh well, I guess I can take breaks from living there.

Oh, how I envy you. :daydreaming:

Lol, I'm fortunate. I still want to work though, and stand on my own two feet. Can I teach English out there? What qualifications would I need?

How about afterwards? Can I do a job that will entail the usage of my newly developed skills?

EDIT: I repped you to offset the random neg.

Thanks!
Reply 1174
Hello all Middle Easterners, Just to Let you know am in the UK and i basically help all international students with matters of education such as getting places for them in universities. Our company is called AFA marketing LTD(it is not a marketing company) based in Manchester.

If you would like to apply for this January 2012. Please contact me on [email protected]
or call our office number and speak to me on 0044 (0) 1616604180 option 2.

Thanks

:smile:

i'm egyptian and we're nice (most times :tongue:)
where you studying?
Original post by Superwoman
i'm egyptian and we're nice (most times :tongue:)
where you studying?

Alex. Like it so far, people have been friendly. Are you still living here?
Alex. Like it so far, people have been friendly. Are you still living here?

yeah im in Cairo :smile:
ive got a lot of friends in alex though,nice place
Reply 1178
hey everyone
me and my uncle had a really eye opening convo about middle easteners :^_^:
anyone from Morocco here?
Original post by shush
hey everyone
me and my uncle had a really eye opening convo about middle easteners :^_^:
anyone from Morocco here?

what was so eye opening about it?

Quick Reply