The Student Room Group

At what age does it become weird to still be a virgin?

Scroll to see replies

I lost mine a week after turning 21, apparently that was a pretty 'late' age :rolleyes:
Straight off the bat I would say 30 is a bit weird, If my friend of 25 said he was a virgin I'd laugh. But If I was to give you an answer with common sense then there is no age, we are all different with different brains. We all take different chances and get into different situations. You're not weird what ever age. Society is the reason you are asking this question and we are all a bunch of morons with different opinions
Reply 22
Original post by Foo.mp3
I get tail, you don't, get over it son :redface:

So beautifully, harshly blunt. I laughed.

Original post by Glow in the dark
Society is the reason you are asking this question and we are all a bunch of morons with different opinions

If anything, you typically lose your virginity later in modern western society, actually.

Original post by gintoki
Don't know why people reject the chance factor, it exists. The chances of hitting the lottery seem impossible, yet people still get it.

Do you personally know anyone who won the lottery? Because you probably don't know anyone for whom chance is the sole reason they are still a virgin either.
Original post by kingme
So beautifully, harshly blunt. I laughed.

If anything, you typically lose your virginity later in modern western society, actually.

Do you personally know anyone who won the lottery? Because you probably don't know anyone for whom chance is the sole reason they are still a virgin either.

Ah, I don't live in the best of areas, in fact I'd probably say the mean is around 15 around here now a days it's that bad.
I know of a few attractive women in their mid-late 20s who are virgins for religious reasons (they are Muslim). Or maybe they're lying, I don't know, but it's not as uncommon as you might think.
Reply 25
Original post by Glow in the dark
Ah, I don't live in the best of areas, in fact I'd probably say the mean is around 15 around here now a days it's that bad.

though 15 does seem early, the national average is 16 so it's not really. Historically, that's probably not early. And in other cultures it might be seen as late, i think gandhi and his wife had their first baby at 13/14.
post anonymously for obvious reasons.. i myself aint got round to it..i'v bedded girls, bita foreplay but never actually did the deed.. i dunno why either. i'm wouldn't say i'm religious but i'm not one for throwing myself around..to be honest i'd rather wait until i get a gf, rather than a one night stand and never see them again...maybe im being wierd i dont know. it's something that bugs me but what can ya do!
21 here and still a virgin, I'm a pretty standard guy I'm just not madly looking to come in something, the romantic side of relationships appeal to me more. I've been told I'm too nice a guy for my own good but I'm just living life man.
Reply 28
This old.
Reply 29
Original post by Anonymous
By choice, not due to lack of options

I don’t know if it’s ever considered weird to be a virgin, but at some age you will be in the minority, (I would guess that to be around age 18/19) and the non virgins will wonder why, but that doesn’t make it weird.

Of course the gap between virgins and non virgins increase with each year that passes beyond that point. I think most people will be surprised to discover that you are a virgin but not consider it weird.

Best wishes,
Reply 30
Original post by trooper6
I don’t know if it’s ever considered weird to be a virgin, but at some age you will be in the minority, (I would guess that to be around age 18/19) and the non virgins will wonder why, but that doesn’t make it weird.

I think the age of being in a minority would be older. At university I know loads of people who are aged 20+ who are still virgins. I know people who've lost it at different ages but I'm actually relatively unusual having lost it at 17.
Reply 31
It depends who you ask - everyone has their own opinion on this subject.
Some people think it's acceptable to have sex under 16, others wouldn't dream of doing it before they were in their late teens. I honestly think it depends on what kind of friendship group and family you have.

Generally, 16-24 seems like an average age for losing virginity, but that's not to say that at any other age it would be "weird" to still be a virgin.
By choice, not due to lack of options

the age you first meet a priest....lol, joking if i've offended any Christians out there
Reply 33
I'm a Christian but thats not my reason, I mean I dnt believe that sex before marriage is wrong, but I do think that the first time atleast should be with someone I care about n trust.
I lost it at 22. Most of my friends said it wasn't an issue, me being a virgin at that age.
I lost mine when I was 17, though by that point my friend had told me it was strange I hadn't lost it already as a lot of my friends had been with a lot of guys by then. (the area I come from I guess?)
Which if you ask me, is just pathetic.
I don't think there's an age when it becomes 'weird' at all, just whenever you feel the time is right..
Reply 35
Original post by Movember
if we are talking in the real world and not in the world of tsr (i know you will get flamed and people will say 'lose it when you are ready':blah:), i believe it depends on your level of maturity and what your life situation is. but i would guess that the average person in the real world would find it weird if you were 20 or older and still a virgin. they would wonder why you hadnt lost it. even if your reason is 'i havent met the right person', that wont wash with most people because anyone with a normal social life will meet someone they consider to be 'right' by 20. not 'right' in the sense of marriage and kids necessarily.

i digress:tongue: the only people i know who are virgins who are 20 or over have poor social skills or they fail with the opposite sex. this usually applies to guys 'cos girls can get it easy:tongue:

edited: i noticed you said by choice. whoops:redface: if by choice, i dont know. i dont know any religious people who place an importance on virginity and sex. sorry:colondollar:

Hmm I lost mine at 21 (I'm 21 now) to a guy I was seeing (who became my boyfriend later) and he didn't care in the slightest that I was a virgin. I struggle to see how it wouldn't "wash" with people. If you were dating a person you got on really well with and discovered they were a virgin because they hadn't felt ready prior to that or the opportunity hadn't arose, I don't think many people would be shallow enough to immediately drop them. Or maybe I was just lucky?!
Reply 36
Original post by daphodil
Hmm I lost mine at 21 (I'm 21 now) to a guy I was seeing (who became my boyfriend later) and he didn't care in the slightest that I was a virgin. I struggle to see how it wouldn't "wash" with people. If you were dating a person you got on really well with and discovered they were a virgin because they hadn't felt ready prior to that or the opportunity hadn't arose, I don't think many people would be shallow enough to immediately drop them. Or maybe I was just lucky?!

No you weren't lucky. You're a woman. Virginity for women is a good thing and most guys will like if a woman is a virgin. If a guy is a late bloomer, he is completely screwed.
Reply 37
Original post by gintoki
No you weren't lucky. You're a woman. Virginity for women is a good thing and most guys will like if a woman is a virgin. If a guy is a late bloomer, he is completely screwed.

It really wouldn't bother me in the slightest if I got on well with him and he revealed he was a virgin. I think it's easy for people to type "OMG LAMEEE" if someone's a virgin at whatever age, but if you were on a 1 on 1 with a person you liked/were dating and they confided in you about the fact they were a virgin I seriously doubt many people would turn them away.
Reply 38
Original post by daphodil

It depends. And I don't think it's shallow necessarily not to date someone on that basis. Sexual compatibility is important.
Reply 39
Original post by Lucia.
It depends. And I don't think it's shallow necessarily not to date someone on that basis. Sexual compatibility is important.

Well yes, but how do you know if you're sexually compatible until you've had sex with them? I just think it'd be strange to shun somebody who you had a connection with after hearing they were a virgin. Even with 2 people who arn't virgins and who get together, it's always a learning curve to see what the others like. A virgin, after the first couple of times, is no different.

Quick Reply

Latest